It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #1

Molly McPherson HB User
Question Constipation

Since my last bout of mild constipation I stopped taking calcium supplements. I am supposed to be taking 1500 mgs a day. Should I start taking them again?

Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
If you go back to your calcium suppliments take it with magnesium. Calcium needs magnesium any way to process correctly in the body so you might want to look at some suppliments that already does the combining.
I have IBS C and calcium does terrible things to my gut when taken as a suppliment. The problem with so many suppliments is that it's too easy to throw the
internal balance off with too much of a good thing.
I now take my calcium needs in Yogurt and/or non fat milk because the added vitamin D increases calcium and magnesium availability, as well as phosphorus absorption. Additionally, Yogurt, the plain no fat variety is like medicne for my Irritable bowels.
I have two strenghts in my diet that save my gut with out fail. Raisin Bran with no soy additives and plain no fat yogurt mixed with water for the yogurt milk.
If my IBS C gets bad I eat that and if I don't get better in 24 hours I need to see a doctor.
Really.
My C has gotten that bad in the past.
It has now been two months since I had my last surgery to free my colon from pelvic adhesions and the IB is still doing well.
Yea! for yogurt and raisin bran.
kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread