HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   self treatment for IBS??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/22485-self-treatment-ibs.html)

nervousallthetime 03-09-2003 03:51 PM

self treatment for IBS???

I posted this in another forum but figured I'd put it here too:

This has probably been covered a million times but does anyone know of any natural ways to help IBS? I was taking metamucil but it just makes me very full and bloated. Most of the time I'm on the constipation side of things and I have hemorrhoids all the time because of it (know how I can get rid of those?)! A lot seems to do with my stress level etc but I have a lot of little annoying health issues and they cause me to worry a lot. I'm also a little hyperactive. I've had ulcers since I was 16 which has now progressed to a hiatal hernia. When I was younger I had colitis too! So any advice on natural healing for hemorrhoids and IBS? :)

Lindarella 03-10-2003 06:30 AM

Have you been diagnosed with IBS? You say in your post that at one time you had colitis. Colitis is a condition that never goes away and is completely different from IBS. It's also treated differently.

If you HAD colitis, you still have colitis. It can be a pretty serious condition that you need to be under a doctors care for.

auntjudyg 03-10-2003 07:58 AM

In Breaking the Vicious Cycle, Elaine Gottschall outlines a very restrictive regime to deal with various digestive track problems. Some people swear it worked wonders. The book is quite widely available - and through interlibrary loan.

Good luck!

kat721 03-11-2003 08:46 AM

post>>>>>>I'm also a little hyperactive. I've had ulcers since I was 16 which has now progressed to a hiatal hernia. When I was younger I had colitis too! So any advice on natural healing for hemorrhoids and IBS<<<<

Yes, the previous post would be correct. If you had colitis once you would probably have colitis now. If there was a time when you did not have problems, the condition was probably in remission.
It does that.
And yes, treatment and procedure for either IBS or Colitis are different.
There can be similarities but basically we are looking at two different conditions.
An other thought on your hyperactivity.
Have you been given a Glucose Tolerance Test?
Not just the standard blood sugar in the morning test but the one where you fast, then drink the special solution and wait a couple of hours and have you blood levels taken again.
Sometimes people have hyperactive pancreatic function that can cause a whole lot of symptoms that are hard to diagnose including hyperactivity with gut problems.
It's worth investigation because this kind of condition needs medical attention and can get pretty serious if not tended.
kat

nervousallthetime 03-12-2003 02:58 PM

Well...I was recently diagnosed with IBS. However when I was younger...I had D all the time and never constipation. It was at the point where I was afraid to leave the house because I might have to go to the bathroom. I was diagnosed with stomach and esopageal ulcers but never anything else. I kind of assumed I had colitis.

I had the glucose tolerance test in college and was then diagnosed with low blood sugar.

Thanks for all the advice. I will look into that book and the condition that Kat721 mentioned. Thanks!