It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #1
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Post Can taking more Metamucil make constipation worse?

I've been taking one dose of Metamucil every morning for the past few months and it's helped to make me more regular but I still didn't feel it was enough. I spoke with one of the Metamucil reps. and she said it's OK to take two doses at once as long as I also added the required amount of water. Soon after starting this, the constipation increased. I always drink plenty of water as well (9 -
9 oz. glasses daily). I really thought I'd be going more but that's hardly the case.

Old 03-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I have found you need to space the doses about 8 hours apart and drink enough water when taking the dose.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Harry, thanks very much for your reply. Since I value your advice, I just want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that taking that much Metamucil at once could be a possible cause of the problem, even though I'm taking it with enough water?

Old 03-30-2003, 10:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
gar,

I have taken more than a dose at times and it didn't cause constipation but there was a part of my stool that was orange looking. I take orange flavored sugar free Equate from Wal Mart.

I have found --- it's effective just to take a single dose with the water recommended on the container. Taking more doesn't really help --- especially doubling the dose and water. I take 2 doses daily.

Drinking not enough water with psyllium at the time you take it will cause constipation.

I once had a pint container of pure psyllium powder that I did not like because it did not mix well with water. So, to get rid of it I just poured it down the kitchen sink with the water running ---- it stopped my drain line up so completely that I had to take the pipes apart and literally dig it out. I thought for a while I was going to need professional help getting it un-stopped.

I think you should take psyllium just like it says on the container. It will work that way if you don't have any motility problems. Increase the number of doses until you become regular---- usually only 2.

You need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily from all sources for your intestines to function properly. If you're taking that much with enough water and exercise. You should be OK and regular.

Take care---Harry

Closed Thread