It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #1

Jane X HB User
Question Is it possible to have too much fiber?

I have been taking citrucel twice a day for a couple of weeks and have had good results with it. I am now starting to eat lots more fruits and vegetables. If I eat fruits vegetables that are high in fiber and still take my citrucel, will I get "D" from too much fiber? Or is getting alot of fiber really good?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 06:48 AM   #2

Samuelemouse HB User
Drink plenty of water whatever you do. You can get D from too much fruit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I have never seen talk about too much fiber, though would imagine it is like everything else and it is theoretically possible.

But from fruits and veggies and citrucel twice a day, I wonder whether you are even exceeding the recommended level.

I don't think most people get "D" from too much fiber . . . they just "produce" more solid stuff.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:25 AM   #4

Jane X HB User
Ok, thanks for the replies

I have also heard that too much fruit will give you "D" thats why I am limiting myself. I do drink lots of water: I drink the recommended amount everyday, thats not including the 2 glasses I take with Citrucel twice a day, so I drink alot. The reason I was afraid of getting too much fiber is because I heard Citrucel has 15 grams per serving. So that would be 30 a day, plus my veggies and fruits and hot cereal. That adds up to at least 40 grams. Isn'the reccommended fiber 20 to 30 grams? I guess everything is okay as long as it comes out solid.

[This message has been edited by Jane X (edited 04-08-2003).]

Old 04-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
(male)

FrJackHackett HB User

I eat a heap of bran at breakfast, have a glass of metamucil at night and drink plenty of water. This does not produce diarrhoea but just softer, one piece bowel motions less likely to cause fissures, which have been a nuisance to me in the past. I also eat fruit, about four or five a day, and haven't had diarrhoea from it yet.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #6

Jane X HB User
The whole reason I started taking Citrucel was to bulk up my stool, they were loose before. That's why I am so concerned with getting diarrhea.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I agree with some people ---too much fruit will produce Diarrhea!!!

Old 04-09-2003, 02:16 AM   #8

Samuelemouse HB User
Harry is the man. Cut down on fruit and see how you go. Everyone's system is different to some extent and so you have to find the balance for you. But if you are eating more fruit, you can find that your tolerance to fruit will increase (up to a certain limit). If you get D, you will have the tendency to get it again because it upsets the balance in your system. So build up on fruit if you have to but stop when it is too much.

Closed Thread