It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2003, 09:20 AM   #1

Vesela HB User
Exclamation Constant gas!!

Hello guys i'm new here!

I thought this would be as an appropriate place as any to ask this question so here it goes! About 4 weeks ago I made a dietary change and started to eat dried fruits, nuts, seeds and raisins almost daily. I would go through a package every other day. After a couple weeks of that I noticed very frequent bowel movements and increased gas. I only continued this for 2 weeks. The bowel movements have gone back to normal but I still have constant gas! I can drink a glass of water and i'll burp and pass gas. The odour is also very distinct and strong.

I've seen a doctor twice and they both said to go back to my regular diet and i should go back to normal. I have no other symptoms, no stomach pains, problems with my stools, nausea or anything like that, just constant gas. I'm afraid now to keep up a diet that includes any fibre as i don't want it to add to this problem.

My question is how long does it take to get back to normal? Its been 2 weeks and its as strong as its ever been! Is there anything I can do that'll help move this fibre along so the gas stops? I've been going to the gym daily now to hope to speed up my digestive system. Not sure if that does anything? Medications haven't done anything to help btw. Gas-x, Beano, Charcoal tablets barely help. HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Could be that you have an slight intolerance to these foods and it will still take time to work out of your system.

Rather than trying the other meds, try taking probiotics/Acidophilus. These will re-balance your gut bacteria and stop the gas. Take them twice daily on an empty stomach and keep them in the fridge, as heat kills bacteria.

If you have an intolerance to some food or other, then this is very likely to unbalance the bacteria in your gut, so reverting to your old diet with the Acidophilus should really help.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
(female)

wenron HB User
I agree with the the above message and also you might want to try simethicone (anti-gas). We used this a lot in the hospital for post op patients with gas and it seemed to help.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:24 AM   #4

Vesela HB User
Thank you both for the help.

As it turns out it may be Candida Overgrowth Syndrome as well. I've had it in the past and found out just yesterday that it has the tendancy to produce alot of gas! I'm now on acidopholous as well as a Candida mixture (primrose oil, clove, ginger etc) and digestive enzymes to help rebalance. It looks as though I may have 2 reasons why I have so much gas! yikes!!

I have Simethicone however I dont'want to use it while on all this other stuff. Any one have anything like this? I've had this gas for a while now and i'd like to know when to expect it to clear up!

Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
I tried simeticone, activated charcoal, digestive emzymes, and homeopathic remedies. Nothing seem to help.
___
It all started for me when I was disgnosed with acid reflux and haital hernia. As soon as I was put on PPI's (Prilosec & Protonix) my life fell to $%^$. My stomach and intestines have not been the same since. I also tried probiotics, 3 different brands at different times. Yogurt disnt work either. Hoping to rebalance the bacteria. No luck with those either.
___
I am about to give up, nothing helps.
___
It's so bad it is effecting my job, I had to excuse myself from a meeting last week due to a gas attack.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Forgot to mention taking anti candida medicine also. No help from that either.

Old 03-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #7

dmbfan HB User
Here's my two-cents. I've read that many people can be very intolerant to sulfites...Dried fruits and raisins (pre-packaged) are very high in these and could be contributing to the amount of gas you have. I would think that if it was a fiber issue that your body would adjust in a few days and it would get better, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe try just the nuts and skip the dried fruit for a period of time-see if that makes any difference.

Just a thought

Old 03-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #8

Samuelemouse HB User
Flatulence
Everyone has gas and eliminates it by burping or passing it through the rectum. However, many people think they have too much gas when they really have normal amounts. Most people produce about 1 to 3 pints a day and pass gas about 14 times a day.

The most common symptoms of gas are belching, flatulence, abdominal bloating, and abdominal pain. However, not everyone experiences these symptoms. The determining factors probably are how much gas the body produces, how many fatty acids the body absorbs, and a person's sensitivity to gas in the large intestine. Chronic symptoms caused by too much gas or by a serious disease are rare.

Gas is made primarily of odorless vapors-carbon dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, and sometimes methane. The unpleasant odor of flatulence comes from bacteria in the large intestine that release small amounts of gases that contain sulfur.

Although having gas is common, it can be uncomfortable and embarrassing. Understanding causes, ways to reduce symptoms, and treatment will help most people find relief.

Air swallowing (aerophagia) is a common cause of gas in the stomach. Everyone swallows small amounts of air when eating and drinking. However, eating or drinking rapidly, chewing gum, smoking, or wearing loose dentures can cause some people to take in more air.

Burping, or belching, is the way most swallowed air--which contains nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide--leaves the stomach. The remaining gas moves into the small intestine where it is partially absorbed. A small amount travels into the large intestine for release through the rectum. (The stomach also releases carbon dioxide when stomach acid and bicarbonate mix, but most of this gas is absorbed into the bloodstream and does not enter the large intestine).

The body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates (the sugar, starches, and fiber found in many foods) in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes.

This undigested food then passes from the small intestine into the large intestine, where harmless and normal bacteria break down the food, producing hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and, in about one-third of all people, methane. Eventually these gases exit through the rectum.

People who make methane do not necessarily pass more gas or have unique symptoms. A person who produces methane will have stools that consistently float in water. Research has not shown why some people produce methane and others do not.

Foods that produce gas in one person may not cause gas in another. Some common bacteria in the large intestine can destroy the hydrogen that other bacteria produce. The balance of the two types of bacteria may explain why some people have more gas than others.

Most foods that contain carbohydrates can cause gas. By contrast, fats and proteins cause little gas.

Sugars
The sugars that cause gas are: raffinose, lactose, fructose, and sorbitol.

Raffinose:
Beans contain large amounts of this complex sugar. Smaller amounts are found in cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, other vegetables, and whole grains.

Lactose:
Lactose is the natural sugar in milk. It is also found in milk products, such as cheese and ice cream, and processed foods, such as bread, cereal, and salad dressing. Many people, particularly those of African, Native American, or Asian background, have low levels of the enzyme lactase needed to digest lactose. Also, as people age, their enzyme levels decrease. As a result, over time people may experience increasing amounts of gas after eating food containing lactose.

Fructose:
Fructose is naturally present in onions, artichokes, pears, and wheat. It is also used as a sweetener in some soft drinks and fruit drinks.

Sorbitol:
Sorbitol is a sugar found naturally in fruits, including apples, pears, peaches, and prunes. It is also used as an artificial sweetener in many dietetic foods and sugarfree candies and gums.

Starches:
Most starches, including potatoes, corn, noodles, and wheat, produce gas as they are broken down in the large intestine. Rice is the only starch that does not cause gas.

Fiber:
Many foods contain soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber dissolves easily in water and takes on a soft, gel-like texture in the intestines. Found in oat bran, beans, peas, and most fruits, soluble fiber is not broken down until it reaches the large intestine where digestion causes gas.

Insoluble fiber, on the other hand, passes essentially unchanged through the intestines and produces little gas. Wheat bran and some vegetables contain this kind of fiber.

The most common ways to reduce the discomfort of gas are changing diet, taking medicines, and reducing the amount of air swallowed.

Many nonprescription, over-the-counter medicines are available to help reduce symptoms, including antacids with simethicone and activated charcoal. Digestive enzymes, such as lactase supplements, actually help digest carbohydrates and may allow people to eat foods that normally cause gas.

Activated charcoal tablets (Charcocaps) may provide relief from gas in the colon. Studies have shown that when taken before and after a meal, intestinal gas is greatly reduced. Both the number of flatus events and breath hydrogen levels were measured. These experiments showed that orally administered activated charcoal was effective in preventing the large increase in the number of flatus events and increased breath hydrogen concentrations that normally occur following a gas-producing meal. The usual dose is 2 to 4 tablets taken just before eating and 1 hour after meals.

The enzyme lactase, which aids with lactose digestion, is available in liquid and tablet form without a prescription (Lactaid, Lactrase, and Dairy Ease). Adding a few drops of liquid lactase to milk before drinking it or chewing lactase tablets just before eating helps digest foods that contain lactose. Also, lactose-reduced milk and other products are available at many grocery stores (Lactaid and Dairy Ease).

Beano, an over-the-counter, digestive aid, contains the an oral solution of alpha-galactosidase (sugar-digesting enzyme) that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. The enzyme comes in liquid form. Three to 10 drops are added per serving just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber.

In another study it has been shown that proper cooking (especially of beans and peas) can reduce the incidence and discomforts of flatulece.

Abdominal discomfort after eating cowpeas is known to be a major constraint on their greater consumption. Problems associated with cowpea consumption were identified by questionnaire in 448 randomly selected families. Some (28%) of the respondents had never experienced flatulence. Those who did said it occurred when cowpeas were eaten at all (16.7%), as dinner (42%) or without other foods (15%). A subsample of 40 people who complained of serious abdominal discomfort were fed cowpeas cooked by eight different methods at three consecutive dinners for each method. The problems reported were indigestion, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased belching, bad breath, offensive stool, flatulence, constipation, mild abdominal discomfort and sleepiness. Many respondents complained of mild abdominal discomfort with undehulled cowpeas (72.5%) and dehulled cowpeas (42.5%) that had been cooked at atmospheric pressure. Only 12.5% of the respondents complained of discomfort with dehulled cowpeas cooked under extra pressure. Thus, dehulling resulted in substantial reduction in the frequency and incidence of reported discomforts but pressure cooking also had beneficial effects, probably because of the higher cooking temperature attained.

Regards

Old 04-16-2003, 05:22 AM   #9

Samuelemouse HB User
Found something else that might help.

10 Tips on Belching, Bloating, and Flatulence

Belching is caused by swallowed air from:
Eating or drinking too fast
Poorly fitting dentures; not chewing food completely
Carbonated beverages
Chewing gum or sucking on hard candies
Excessive swallowing due to nervous tension or postnasal drip
Forced belching to relieve abdominal discomfort
To prevent excessive belching, avoid:
Carbonated beverages
Chewing gum
Hard candies
Simethicone may be helpful

Abdominal bloating and discomfort may be due to intestinal sensitivity or symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. To relieve symptoms, avoid:

Broccoli
Baked beans
Cabbage
Carbonated drinks
Cauliflower
Chewing gum
Hard candy
Abdominal distention resulting from weak abdominal muscles:
Is better in the morning
Gets worse as the day progresses
Is relieved by lying down
To prevent Abdominal distention:
Tighten abdominal muscles by pulling in your stomach several times during the day
So sit-up exercises if possible
Wear an abdominal support garment if exercise is too difficult
Flatulence is gas created through bacterial action in the bowel and passed rectally. Keep in mind that:
10-18 passages per day are normal
Primary gases are harmless and odorless
Noticeable smells are trace gases related to food intake
Foods that are likely to form gas include:
Milk, dairy products, and medications that contain lactose--If your body doesn't produce the enzyme (lactase) to break it down.
Certain vegetables--baked beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage
Certain starches--wheat, oats, corn, potatoes. Rice is a good substitute.
If flatulence is a concern, see your doctor to determine if you are lactose intolerant.
Identify offending foods. Reduce or eliminate these gas-forming foods from your diet.
Activated Charcoal may provide some benefit.

Closed Thread