It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2002, 08:29 AM   #1

lawman1457 HB User
Post Blood in toilet/On stool.. Scared

It all started around August 17th when I suffered from constipation for the first time in my life. I am 27, and have never had any bowel problems in my life that I know of, and have no family history of any problems. Anyways, I took a laxative and was finally able to go. A couple days after that I noticed a small line of blood on one of my stools. After that someone said I should take Metamucil. So I did and things seemed better, but my stools did seem less formed, and I noticed mucous type material on my stool and in the toilet. Then on October 23rd I started having thin and loose stools. I really thought nothing of it because I did not notice anymore blood, and there was no pain associated with my bowels. The thin or flat stools continued, and that brings me to last night. When I went to the bathroom there was noticeable blood in the toilet, and on the toilet paper. It was actual drops of blood that I noticed, and not the single thin line I had months ago. I was a little worried, but then when I had a Bowel Movement about half an hour later I had no poop, but there was more blood. Not sure if it matters, but it was brighter red, rather than darker. The thing is, on the toilet paper there was poop and blood, but no poop in the toilet. This morning when I had my first Bowel movement there was no blood at all. Since then my stomach has been rumbling, but I might just be hungry. Well, I made the mistake of reading a medical guide about this, and noticed that Cancer has some of the same symptoms. Now, I am very worried, actually I am rather scared. What is wrong with me?

The Following User Says Thank You to lawman1457 For This Useful Post:
iklay (02-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Get to a doc! It could be one of many things my mother has ulcerative colitis and those were some of her symptoms along with alot of pain. Do yourself a favour and get it checked and ease your mind.

------------------
Cheers
Autumn

Old 12-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #3

lawman1457 HB User
I appreciate the advice, but how realistic is it that I have ulcerative colitis because I have one episode of bleeding. I read about ulcerative colitis, and I only have one symptom which was bleeding which is also very common with hemhorroids.
Diarrhea with cramping abdominal pain, Fatigue and an increased need for sleep, Sometimes fever, rapid heartbeat, and anemia. Sometimes loss of appetite and weight loss. These are some of the symptoms of Colitis, and I did not mention any of them.
I am looking for what my problem could be and possible remedies.

[This message has been edited by lawman1457 (edited 12-21-2002).]

Old 12-21-2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Inactive

1Dove HB User
You probably have a bleeding internal hemorrhoid. You can get quite a bit of bleeding if a blood vessel bursts. I have had this happen on occcasion, and it's quite scary, but harmless. I have a family history of colon cancer so I had a colonoscopy and everything checked out fine. But I must tell you that you need to see a doctor to check it out because it really could be something more serious. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:55 PM   #5

lawman1457 HB User
As a follow up, today I have not had any blood evident when going to the bathroom, but my stomach has been upset all day. To be honest, chances are I will not go to a doctor unless I am dying due to personal reasons that happened when I was 9 years old. I am looking for things that I can due to find out how serious my problem is or medicine I can take to possibly eliminate problems.
I forgot to mention in my previous message that during the last 4 months I have had upset stomachs (gas and such)more frequently then I used to. I have also been under a lot of stress for the past 4 months.

Old 12-21-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
lawman,

I think all rectal bleeding should be checked out by a Doctor---just for your peace of mind and to determine the cause. Hemorrhoids and a rectal fissure causes the type bleeding you descibe fortunately they are self limiting if you are not taking asprin, anti-clotting drug or a blood thinner.

Most people don't intake enough fiber daily and even mild constipation can cause hemorrhoids that bleed when staining during a BM. It doesn't take much blood in a toilet bowl to look like alot. I am a big believer in using Metamucil as supplemental fiber. It's a bowel regulator as well as safe to take daily.

A person needs between 20 and 35 grams of fiber daily. There is no fiber in meat, seafood or dairy products. We get most fiber from fruits and veggies. Most diets just don't contain enough fiber ---every day. Taking a fiber supplement is a healthy thing to do!!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 12-21-2002, 09:25 PM   #7

kurta11 HB User
How long have you had these problems?

[This message has been edited by kurta11 (edited 12-22-2002).]

Old 12-21-2002, 09:30 PM   #8

lawman1457 HB User
Harry,

Thank you so much for your response. I was hoping I could pick your mind.
I was hoping it was just hemhorroids, but would hemhorroids cause a upset stomach? Is it possible for hemhorroids to last 4 months, and cause the problems I have described? Finally, like I said reading the stuff on colon cancer has given me a scare. I am not generally a frightened person, but cancer of any kind scares the **** out of me. What are your thoughts on Cancer with the symptoms I have described? Does the fact that I am only 27 make Cancer very unlikely?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #9

lawman1457 HB User
Okay, there are a few facts that I have forgotten about, and just remembered so I am sorry for another post. First of all, During the last month, on and off there has been a very very small amount of bright red blood on the toilet paper after a Bowel Movement. I just figured it was because I was wiping too hard or the fact that it was very dry in my place. Also, During the last 3 months I have had a lot more gas than usual. I thought originally in September that it might have been IBS, but is blood ever present with IBS.

Thanks a lot people

Old 12-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
lawman,
Hemorrhoids don't cause you to have an upset stomach and diarrhea and neither does IBS cause bleeding. Diarrhea can certainly irritate an existing hemorrhoid or diverticular and cause them to bleed. Stress can cause diarrhea ---there is a mind --- Gut connection. The treatment is taking a low dose of an anti- depressant drug like 10 mgms of Elavil.

I think you can get colon cancer at any age but older people are more prone to it. Colon cancer deaths are second only to lung cancer deaths. I think this is because folks don't like to discuss their bowel habits.

There was recently a 17 year old female in the news that had abdominal pain for over a year without telling her parents and when examined --she had cancer and had part of her colon removed and is doing OK now.

Bleeding bright red blood indicates that you're not bleeding in your colon and it's just sitting there ----it would turn dark red and even black if were there for some period of time. So, bright red blood means that it opening up when you strain to have a BM. Having it on your stool as well as toilet paper is a sign that it's passing an area that is actively bleeding at that time.

I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon surgically removed last March 4 because of chronic diverticular bleeding. I was taking at the time Plavix and an asprin daily --- an anti blood clotting drug and lost about half of my blood in about 4 hours( You only have 10 1/2 pints-Factoid) --- passed out in the ER. I was given a shot of vitamin K and 2 units of blood and colonoscopy. 2 weeks later I had surgery when the bleeding returned.

I have had Gastro problems for about 30 years but I certainly don't have anymore diverticula problems. But, your rectum is 8 inches long and I have internal hemorrhoids and take psyllium seed husk twice daily to make my BMs gentle without straining.

I take Equate ---orange flavor,sugar free from Wal Mart ---It's less than half the cost of Metamucil and it seems to be a little courser which I like better than a finer powder.

Take Care --- Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 12-22-2002).]

Old 12-22-2002, 11:19 AM   #11

lawman1457 HB User
Thanks Harry,

I can not think of one time that I actually had any pain in my stomach or lower region. It is more of an upset stomach. With the problems I have stated do you have any thoughts what could be wrong with me? Could the upset stomach could be caused by the stress that these problems are causing? The truth is after I have a BM my stomach is no longer upset for quite awhile. It seems with certain foods my stomach becomes more upset. And today I have not had any blood in the toilet, but I did have one or two millimeter size blood stains on the toilet paper as usual. Also, can you please explain the signifigance of bright red blood versus dark red or black blood in the toilet bowl or on the toilet paper. What would cause a person to bleed one time only with any signifigance?
Finally, are there any symptoms that are prevelant with Colon Cancer? What symptoms appear most commonly with Colon Cancer.

Thanks a lot

Old 12-22-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
Inactive

1Dove HB User
All those symptoms that you are talking about I had also. I think you are stressing too much about this, and it is upsetting your stomach. That is exactly what happened to me, and as I said, my colonoscopy came out fine. Red blood is fresh blood, meaning it probably comes from the lower end of your bowel or rectum. Like Harry said it's probably from a hemorrhoid or fissure. You can have rectal bleeding from cancer also, and it could be bright red blood too if it is cancer of the lower bowel or rectum. But, in your case I think it is unlikely. My dad had colon cancer, and he had no symptoms at all. It was caught during a routine exam because he was anemic on his blood tests, and his cancer had already spread to the lymph nodes. Do yourself a favor, and see your doctor. That's what I did, and believe me it's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Old 12-22-2002, 08:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lawman,

I know very little about colon cancer and the symptoms but I have read that one of the first signs is blood in your stool. The blood is caused by a polyp that if found early enough can easily be removed during a colonoscopic exam. If left untreated --- it can become a tumor. 70 % of colon cancer tumors are found in the rectum and sigmoid colon areas. About 10 % of people that have blood detected in their stool end up with the doctor finding cancerous or pre-cancerous tumors.
I am a big believer in getting any rectal blood ckecked out!!!

As you know your small intestines and large intestine are about 28 feet long. When you bleed in the colon, the blood can be dark red to black. It all depends on where the bleeding happen and the length of time the blood stay there. The bright red blood means that it is recent. Darker blood from your sigmoid colon can look like pieces of liver and in clots. That is what some of the blood that I passed last February looked like. I'm sure if bleeding happpens in the transverse or ascending colon areas the blood will be darker.

In 1994 I had a needle biopsy of my pancreous that was done with a 6 inch needle. The needle was inserted about half way between the naval and breast bone and just to the right of center. I have a low density mass there that they believe was at one time a cyst. The biopsy way OK. But, sticking a 6" needle in your abdomen ---has to pass through some of your intestines.There is no easy empty spaces for needles.

The Doctor was an engineer that I knew before he became a Radiologist and we talked as he was doing this ----about the side-effects. For 3 days after the biopsy---I ran a low grade fever and my stools were totally Black--- indicating I had bled some where but they returned to normal in several days.

Upset Stomachs can be caused by the friendly bacteria getting out of balance. Eating yogurt and taking a good probiotic supplement will help re-establish the friendly bacteria.

I think good health begins in your waste treatment system ---- by keeping it healthy. I read that good health is a high price to pay because of lack of knowledge!!! My advise is to be very pro-active and find out as much as you can!

God Bless---- Harry

Old 12-22-2002, 08:40 PM   #14

lawman1457 HB User
Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate it. My question is can a fissure or hemorrhoid last for 3 to 4 months? Another symptom I realized is that my stool has been a tan color for a couple of weeks now, what is the cause of tan or light brown stool. I just noticed it when I went to the bathroom last. By the way there was no blood evident again.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by lawman1457 (edited 12-22-2002).]

Old 12-23-2002, 05:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hemorrhoids and fisures don't just go away ---- the only way to get rid of them is surgery.

What you eat determines your the color of your stool. Its caused by the digestive process.

Closed Thread