It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #1

minnakitty2000 HB User
Post Loose stools with mucus help!

Hello, I have been having loose acidic stools with mucus. I usually don't have this all of the time. Sometimes I have what appear to be normal stools. The mucus is usually the color of the stool, either yellow or brown. This has been going on for a few years now. At first I thought that the mucus in the stools was harmless and caused from not having enough bulk in my diet. I suffer from GERD( Gastroententinal Reflux Disease and have a Hiatal Hernia) and take a perscription of Famantodine of about 20mgs. I probably should be on 40mgs but I can't afford it. I also have hypothyroid disease (I take 0.1mgs of Synthroid) and endometrois which is located on the floor of my bladder. I don't usually have alot of cramping or pain during bowel movements but my tush burns from the stool sometimes. I also forgot to mention that I find alot of undigested food in some of my stools. Some of the foods that show up are: tomatoes,lettuce,watermelon,cantalope and sometimes apples. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what could be going on here?? Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Thank you! minnakitty

The following user gives a hug of support to minnakitty2000:
eileenmary (03-22-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to minnakitty2000 For This Useful Post:
Aura500 (03-16-2012)
Old 06-03-2003, 06:00 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sounds like you need to have you stools evaluated by the doc. Also since you are having the loose stools you need to add fiber therapy such as metamucil to help bulk up your stools. You should also be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillis capsules to keep your GI flora in good order. You mention needing 40 mg of famotidine but not being able to afford it and this shouldn't be a problem for you since you can buy famotidine over the counter so if they charge you to much at the pharmacy why not check on the cost in the over the counter section of your local walmart. You can easily take as many over the counter tablets as need to make 40mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #3

minnakitty2000 HB User
Talking

Hello mlgable,Thanks for responding to my post. I really do need to see the doc but do not have any health insurance and was turned down because of my weight. I am a hypothyroid and have had trouble with my weight since I was 27 years old. My hypothyroidism wasn't discovered until about 6 years ago. My medication(Synthroid-0.1mg daily) and age(46) makes it difficult to lose weight. My last visit to my OBGYN was in January of 2002, when I did have health insurance. During the exam the doc mentioned finding some polyps. I imagine he was talking about my rectum. He mentioned that I should have a colonoscopy at least by the age of 50. At this time I took a stool test provided to me by the lab but never received the results from the doc. As for the Pepcid, before I was able to get a perscription for Famantodine I was taking about 20mgs of Pepcid daily. I asked the pharmacist if I could increase the dose above 20mgs a day and he told me that it wasn't advisable and to see the doc. I need to add that having a a colonoscopy seems scary and painful not too mention embarrassing. I probably would have to remain awake during the procedure because of my hypothyroidism. You have to be careful about medicines with hypothyroidism and also being overweight puts me at risks for complications during anesthesia. I also had some concerns because I have a hiatal hernia and am wondering when they blow the air or gas into you intestines during the exam if this could cause chest pains or a heart attack due to the opening of my hiatal hernia. I know I need to do something soon and try to get some money together to pay out of pocket. Thanks again. Hope to hear from you again! minnakitty

Old 06-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
rjh

I had similar symptoms and it turned out that the loose stool and mucous were due to lactose (milk) intolerance. A nurse told me that loose stool and mucous are common if your body is intolerant of a food. She told me the most likely suspects were milk or tomatos.

What you might try is removing milk and anything related (watch out, anything having an ingredient of "whey", cheese, nonfat dry milk, cream, etc. is a milk product and contains lactose) for three days. If your symptoms clear up, you have probably have lactose intolerance and you can go to a number of web sites to learn the ins and outs. It is a frustrating problem, but really keeps you from eating too much junk food since most cookies, crackers, and breads have milk products tucked in their ingredients. You can get over the counter pills, "Lactaid", to help, but if you are like me, these will only help a little, so avoidance is the key. (By the way..."whey" is the worst offender to a lactose intolerant person. It is like concentrated milk.)
** Lactose intolerance usually starts to affect its victims in their 30's-40's or after a period where they have not had any milk products. It also has a tendency to get gradually worse as you age.

If it is not milk, try removing tomatos from your diet for three days. I didn't have to try this.

As for your non-digested food, I can't help yet. I have the same problem and haven't figured that one out. I am going to try drinking less fluids during meals and more fluids inbetween meals. Some health sites say drinking too much during meals dilutes your digestive fluids and this prevents your body from breaking down foods effectively. It sounded worth a shot to me.

I really hope this solves part of your problems. I have had your symptoms and was relieved mine was caused by something so simple.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread