It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

cowgirls HB User
Total Colectomy Anyone?

I am going in for a total colocetomy with Ieolatoreal Anastamosis. Any one have any coments about how their's went. I am only 30. I have severe chronic constipation. Got extrememly worse this past year.
Thanks for anyone who wouldlike to share there experieince with me....
cowgirls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Total Colectomy Anyone?

Do you mean scope. The camera thing?

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

cowgirls HB User

No, removing entire colon but resection with small intestine (no bag)

Old 11-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

cowgirl,
I have a friend(female) that had it done because of Polyperosis --- colon carpeted with many--- many polys and she was 39 and it was done about 3 years ago and she is do OK.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-26-2004 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

goofin HB User

cowgirl,
18 years ago over the course of 3 surgeries they removed a mass 8cm from my IT. had a ileo for a few months then it was reverse. i lost a total of 18 ft,and with some adjustments learned to control everything fine. ill be 42 in a few months and living a very normal life. spicy food is no longer a thing i can have but its a trade off i can live with. i havent taken any meds for crohns in over 14 years. best advice is beable to laugh at yourself when things go awrey, otherwise you will be banging your head on a wall

Old 12-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

joanner HB User

Cowgirl,

Our daughter is going in for a subtotal colectomy with ileoanal anastamois. This means she will keep her rectum and will not need a j-pouch at this time. She has FAP (familial adenomatous polyposis), and will have to be vigilant about being scoped every 6 months and have any new polyps removed from the rectum.

She decided on the subtotal, as the doctor explained that there is a 40% chance of becoming infertile with the total colectomy. She's only 18 and at this time, she doesn't want to take that chance. She will go for the total later in life, if the polyps get out of control in the rectum.

I'm assuming you'll have a j-pouch then? Are they doing the procedure in one step or two steps?

Good Luck!
Joanne

Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
(female)

cowgirls HB User

One step. No j pouch. Total colocetomy with ileo

Closed Thread