It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Liz415 HB User
In Pain, HELP!!!

I've had hemorrhoids for almost 20 years but this is the first time I've had pain for more than a week. Usually, when I'm constipated, I will get an on-set of hemorrhoids, but after a couple of days they get better. This time it's different. After a tough bowl movement, I knew I was in trouble. I couldn't sleep all night, etc. The next day, nothing got better and another sleepless night. The third day I got better but I am left with a constant pain on the left side of my anus. I have an stabbing pain, it's throbbing at times, and at times it itches. I'm afraid to be constipated so I've been taking laxatives every couple of days. I think they are helping me, because I don't get the huge hemorrhoids popping out but I do have this other constant pain. At times it also stings. Is it a new hemorrhoid? I've never experienced this for this long. It's been 10 days. Any suggestions? I know I should be going to the doctor, but I am hoping like before, this will go away on its own. Thanks!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Re: In Pain, HELP!!!

Hi!
Is it possible you have gotten an anal fissure? I thought my hemeroids were acting up, later I found I that I didn't have that problem, but instead I had a huge crack that ended up being cut all the way down to the muscle. I have skintags on the outside and one of them ended up splitting me like a hangnail would on a finger...I had throbbing pain, stabbling pain, instense burning, really painful bowel movements....I ended up needing surgery...I tried everything,and found out normal hemeroid medications don't help a fissure....if you don't get any better, see your doctor. I went like this for months and was in horrible pain. Most fissures heal up on their own, but if not found early enough the damage could get worse. I use a powder fiber laxative in my drink in the evening everyday, this seems to help keep me regular and if needed I use a stool softner before bed. Change your diet if needed and baby your system and see if this helps...Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
(female)

Liz415 HB User

Thank you very much for your reply Watchout! I am suspecting the same thing, but now you've got me nervous with the operation option. Your symptoms are identical to mine. I also use the powder fiber in my tea, coffee, etc. but after this last experience I don't trust the powder fiber alone and I also take a couple of laxitives at night (every other night). I am praying that this will clear up on its own. This is really bringing me down, and the holidays are coming and I am just miserable! Every time I want to do something around the house, I end up stopping, laying down, or end up in the jacuzzi because of the pain, or I'm on these boards looking for help! What else can I do to avoid an operation? I also have a job where I sit all day and I am NOT looking forward to going to work on Monday. Not to mention I have a 40 minute ride to work. I appreciate any advise !

Old 11-26-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

First, Let me tell you..the operation I dreaded so much..wasn't bad at all...I lived with the extreme pain for about three months. The key is IF you have to go down that road, find a good rectal surgeon...I got an excellent one and was feeling better in a couple days..I wrote a VERY long story about my experience on this board, under anal fissure and recovery...that explains what I went through..but there are medications out there that can be prescribed to help heal that area...healing that area takes a long time though..so it is good that you are taking the fiber, any kind works...I waited over 2 1/2 months before I started that, way too long..so I further damaged the area beyond repair! So you are really smart to do that..I can't say the same for myself! If you choose to try to heal that area, just avoid hemeroid meds, they burn really bad...keep the area REALLY clean, use witch hazel or peroxide, wash that area gently but frequently to try to dry it out..think of it like a cut on your finger and try to heal it that way. What worked for me is a prescription for Lidocaine..its a numbing agent, also over the counter is a medication called Nupracainal..its about as half as strong as the other stuff but it really helps if you have to sit for long periods of time or are in a lot of pain. The Nupracainal in my drug store, was behind the counter, so I had to ask for it from the pharmacist....that was what saved me, the NUMBING agents. If you are willing to try to heal yourself, then go for it..not all people end up with surgery. My situation was a little different..I had a lot of reasons I got worse, but the main thing was that my spinchter muscle down there was in a constant state of spasm, which ended up cutting off the blood supply and basically not allowing that area to heal...the best advice I can give you..is try things and see what works for yourself, what works for me might not work for you..YOU know your body best...no one should ever have to be in that kind of pain..I read so many posts and everyone I read said about the same thing, that hemeroids were less painful then a fissure but the surgery was awful...and fissures are more painful but the surgery is much, much easier...my Mom had hemeroid surgery and was miserable for about six weeks..I was out shopping in very little pain in about two days...I am about four weeks since surgery and though I still get a tad sore and itchy....I would go through the surgery again. I still have a couple skin tags that I was afraid to get removed, but have plans on doing that possbily in the spring since they still get irritated. I was so afraid, now looking back..I wish I would have just gotten them all removed..Hope this answers any lingering questions...Good Luck and I hope you are better real soon....and I believe you WILL be, you're already playing it smart..so you are on the right track.....

Old 11-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

Liz415 HB User

Thank you again Watchout for all the info. I have never been in pain for so long. It seemed like it was getting better when I got up this morning, but by the afternoon I was back in pain. It caught me off-guard when I was shopping. The burning is aweful! At least I can sleep the night, though. Before I go to bed, I rest in the bathtub for about a 1/2 hr in warm water. I must have done some real damage down there for it to hurt so bad. I also spent a lot of money on different over-the-counter meds because I'm desperate. I hope something helps. I did not find anything you mentioned in your post, but then again I did not go to a pharmacy, but to a grocery store. If these things I bought will not help, then I will try everything else there is. I do not want to go to the doctor. I'm embarrased about this whole situation.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

You are EXACTLY like me! I flat out refused to go to the doctor...I went on like that for over 2 1/2 months....I regret that decison...I think if I would have gone earlier, I might not have done the serious, serious damage I did that resulted in me getting the surgery....though the surgery turned out to be a lot easeir then expected, STILL I didn't want to have to go through that...The Nupracainal is only at the pharmacy and I must admit EVEN going to the pharmacy was TOO embarrasing, so I made my husband get it for me. I swear this area was so taboo to me...I still feel strange even talking about it on this board, but I wanted other people to know what MY symptoms were so they could possibly avoid the pain I endured...my experience is that my three abdominal surgeries were LESS painful then this one fissure....yikes! So if I could go back, I defintiely would have seen the DR, after a month like that....I don't wish that kind of pain on anybody. I spent a lot of my time in the bathroom and in the tub...I eventually couldn't go out at all..the pain was so itchy, burnt, throbbing, stabbing and RAW feeling...like a huge paper cut on my finger but DOWN there...and I could feel it rip each time I had to go to the bathroom , a very vicious cycle! What I can say to you, is that if you get up the Courage to see someone (and believe me, I had to muster the courage) you will at least know what you are dealing with...there are medications they can give you to try to heal it IF it is in its earlier stages, once it gets really, really deep it is SO hard to heal it....to be honest with you, I don't know how I even went to begin with, I cringed at the thought of being looked at in that area....I guess when the pain got that bad, I just figured I'd rather be embarrased then in that much agony...only YOU know how bad YOu are...for me, I denied the pain, then managed it, then tired to deal with it through meds, books, internet, any info I could get to heal it MY way, then I went down the examinations, multiple doctor visits and then surgery......I have a strong history of serious dislike towards Doctors, bordering a phobia of them, that is why my name on this website is watchout...because I always tell people to watchout for BAD doctors...but still even despite my serious reservations of Dr's...I still am happy I went to see a doctor about this problem, I couldn't imagine going into the holiday season in that kind of pain...trying to smile and ACT normal...impossible to do...Good Luck with whatever you decide, I'll be thinking of you and praying that you can get past this quickly!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Just like watchout, I have a nasty fissure, and I originally thought it was hemroids. I didn't take it seriously at all. I didn't modify my diet, and simply threw some Preperation H on there. At first, it was a lot of bleeding, and that was about it. But then after a few weeks, the pain set in, and I knew something was wrong. I waited too long to do anything about it, and let the thing get totally out of hand. Now I might need surgery. I have constant spasms that are driving me nuts.

Some things have helped though. I take two Colace (stool softeners) a day, one in the morning and one at night. I also get the daily allowance of fiber, and use a medication called Diltiazem which relaxes the sphincter. This routine should heal most fissures, but mine is so bad, it gets re-aggravated all the time. I'll think I have this thing beat, and one bad bowel movement later, I'm in pain again.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

Liz415 HB User

Thank you Watchout and Chiggins !
Why do I make myself suffer like this? It's been 2 weeks today since this whole thing started and maybe it's just a little better, but definitely NOT going away. Every time I start feeling better I will have a bowel movement and the burning starts back up again. I am hoping and praying that this will go away on its own. I'm in the bathtub before bed every night. It's gotten my husband upset that I am not going to the doctor. So now I am lying to him and telling him that it doesn't hurt, that I'm only in that bathtub to make sure it doesn't come back again. He runs to the doctor if he has a problem and I usually do too, but this is an embarrasing one, so I'm staying away for as long as I possibly can. I know it's stupid of me. I just can't believe that it's not going away on its own. I've had hemorrhoids for 1/2 my life and nothing like this has ever happened. I'm in my late 30's. When I used to get these stinging sensations, they would clear up within a few days. Why isn't it this time?

Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

It's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's just a health issue like any other, and doctors see it all the time.

I certainly sounds like a fissure to me. I get the awful burning as well, especially if I eat something that aggravates it.

Start taking a stool softener twice a day, and a glass of metamucil once a day. Avoid nuts and corn, as well as spicey food. Avoid red meat. Use a heat pad for your bum -it helps a lot. Also use some vaseline when you have a BM. Do this for a couple weeks, and if it doesn't clear up, go see your doctor.

I was put on a prescription called Diltiazem (an ointment) that helps a lot. It relaxes the sphincter, and makes BMs easier. Unfortunately, it doesn't heal the fissure. It really only helps prevent further irritation.

I know what you are going through believe me. These chronic fissures are awful, and take forever to heal. Some require surgery. I'm hoping to avoid the knife, but I might be deluding myself, since mine is so chronic. I'll go a few days with very few problems, only to tear the thing again, and be miserable for the next 4 days.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:13 PM   #10
(female)

Liz415 HB User

I just did some reading on the internet and I think I've been causing more damage to myself. If what I have is a fissure, then I am making it worse by taking laxatives every other day. I'm just so scared of being constipated, because this is how all of this started and now that I'm in pain all the time, what would it feel like if I had a bowel movement without a laxative? I'd probably pass out! The hemorrhoids I had a couple of weeks ago have healed up for now but I'm left with this horrible pain from this fissure. I am not a very happy person lately !!!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #11
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Either way..if you don't take laxatives then if you have a hard bowel movemnt then you are going to get ripped up..if you do take them, be careful HOW much you take...in my situation, I don't have a gallbladder, so I can run to the bathroom all day normally, but because I had a tight spinchter muscle down there, if I didn't take a stool softener, then it was impossible to have a bowel movement without straining, since that muscle would get so clenched up...fissures are a real pain, miserable..but I agree with chiggins....doctors see these problems all the time, to us normal people, it IS so embarrasing...but don't let your embarrassment stop you from seeking help...I did that and ended up in such worse shape....the pain of this is terrible. For me, I DID delude myself into thinking I could heal myself..I wanted that SO bad..I prayed, prayed and each time I thought I was getting better..I would end up with a hard bowel movment and Bam I was right back to where I started..it was an endless cycle and frankly I got sick of my life being run by THIS seemingly simple problem, with the worst pain I EVER experienced...it seems almost silly to think that a tear in that area COULDN'T heal on its own..but in my case...I was losing an endless battle and that for me was exactly what it was...endless...still even after surgery I AM going to go back to get rid of the two skin tags I have down there...hopefully after the holidays are over...I still have some discomfort down there, nothing really painful...just if I have a harder bowel movement..It feels as if it burns a bit...that only happens once in a while, but the alternative of staying the way I was pre-surgery....NO WAY would I want to go back down that road.....I wish you both well and hope you DO heal...I'd like to hear great news from one or both of you....it would be great to hear both of you are well...I am praying for your healing...unitl then...keep the spirits up....there is always hope....

Old 12-01-2004, 07:46 PM   #12
(female)

Liz415 HB User

Today was the best day I've had since my painful bowel movement 16 days ago. I put all types of different creams I bought on some cotton balls and applied it down there for the night. This morning I got up feeling OK as usual, and then my long ride to work....it started burning as soon as I sat down in the car and I even had some stabbing pains. But, during the day, I had only little discomfort, but the pain I was usually having went down from 10 to 2. But you are right WATCHOUT, I am dredding the next bowel movement. I know I will be back to square one as soon as I have one. I am not sure what to do tonight. Should I take the 2 laxitives I was taking or should I just wait and see what happens? After taking the laxitives, I was still in pain, but not the kind of pain I would be if I have to push. I was taking some women's gentle overnight relief laxitives. Somewhere on the internet I read that with a fissure problem, you're supposed to get your system to try and empty on it's own...to make sure you change your diet first, etc. so you have soft but big bowels. All this is sounding so crazy. I never thought I'd be writing about stuff like this. If anyone knows whether it's bad to take these laxitives for a fissure, please let me know. Thank you.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I haven't been taking laxatives, but I have been taking Colace (stool softener). I've also been using Diltiazen ointment.

I've found that if I take a fiber supplement, my stool gets big and abrasive, especially if I take too much. I haven't had much luck with the supplments. But if I get fiber normally through my diet, especially in the form of beans and fruit, my BMs are pretty much pain-free.

I have the bleeding pretty much under control, and I get very little burning and stabbing pain. But the thing that is driving me nuts, is the cramping and spasms. Sometimes I feel like I have to have a BM all day long. It's like my bowels aren't totally empty. Before this all happened, I would strain to get "everything out". Now I'm terrified to strain at all.

Ugh! I look forward to the day when I can actually go exercise and not worry about having stabbing pains afterwards.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Liz..if I were you..I would try different things, because everyone is different...I take a stool softener at night, just one and take fiber in a drink, just one dose in the evening and as far as my diet...I try to balance things out so I am loose when I go, but not to loose..it does stink to talk about this problem, I know without surgery I would STILL be dealing with this problem....I got the stabbing pains for months..I had to drive my kids to school all day long and sit like THAT..the burning was awful, unbearable..I wanted to cry all the time, I had spasms, bleeding and hated to go to the bathroom, but was in terrible pain if I didn't...either way I was miserable...like I said before..everyone is different..what works for me, might not work for you..but almost everyone who lived through this problem agrees on one thing...DON'T stay like you are...no matter how embarrased you are, how fed up you are...get help if all your measures don't help soon. Believe me, the pain of living like this will destroy your quality of life, and over time it truly burns you out physically and emotionally..that is what happened to me, I couldn't get to the surgery center quick enough..isn't it ironic, here I am scared to death and the day of, though I was still terrified..I was like....enough already! It is amazing how much we humans can take and still get over despite the pain...good luck Liz...keep positive..I'll be thinking of you and praying for your recovery!

Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #15
(female)

Liz415 HB User

Oh boy, it's back and forth for me. I thought I had gotten rid of this damn thing. I had such good two days and then boom!!! a bowel movemement and back to square one. I sat in that jacuzzi for at least an hour right afterwards. I then tried to do some work around the house but ended up back in the jacuzzi for God knows how long. This is ridiculous!!!! WATCHOUT! you are right, I am getting fed up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am having good couple of days now and I will wait to see what happens. I need to buy stool softeners instead of popping those laxitives. They make me go immediately without a warning and I think I might be doing me harm then good. But I'm just so scared to be constipated. I will hit the drug store tonight....I wrote some of the stuff the the guys on this board tried and see if that helps. So, as you can see, I am spending tons of money on over-the-counter meds in order to avoid going to the doctor which would cost me $10 co-pay! I'm so ridiculous.

Closed Thread