It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #1
(male)

ZakaGuy HB User
Hint For Colonoscopy Prep

Hint for Colonoscopy prep.
The morning before you start drinking the Nulightly or Golitely,
take 3 Dulcolax tables with a full glass of water. Drink another glass of water 30 minutes later. Then a glass every hour for 4 hours.
This will get you well on the way to being cleaned out. That evening you will only have to drink a half gallon of the prep instead of the full gallon.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Hint For Colonoscopy Prep

You didn't mention about food intake during that day?

At least with the GoLytely one can eat lunch and then start purging at 5:30.

How does the process work if food is taken at noon?

Thanks
quincy

p.s. All I know is that I'll NEVER do the Fleet process again with light eating and then doing the purge all day. I've had 6 colonoscopies, and the one with the fleet was the worst experience ever. I'll take the GoLytely anyday!

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 02:24 AM   #3
(male)

ZakaGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
You didn't mention about food intake during that day?

At least with the GoLytely one can eat lunch and then start purging at 5:30.

How does the process work if food is taken at noon?

Thanks
quincy

p.s. All I know is that I'll NEVER do the Fleet process again with light eating and then doing the purge all day. I've had 6 colonoscopies, and the one with the fleet was the worst experience ever. I'll take the GoLytely anyday!

q
Hi
When I had my Colonoscopy I could not eat any fruits or vegetables, seeds or nuts for three days before the exam. The day before the test (prep day) clear liquids only. Three dulcolax tablets in the morning with a glass of water, another glass 30 minutes later then a glass every hour for 4 hours. Then that evening drink the Nulightly 8oz every 10 minutes. You only have to drink till you go 3 times clear. Morning of exam 2 fleets enemas. I did not do the fleets enemas. I've had a bad experience with fleets enemas so I took 2 tap water enemas.
I was awake for my colonoscopy and watched the whole thing on the TV monitor. I was as Clean as could be, not a speck of anything.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Wow, I think I'll just stick to the gallon of GoLytely (and ilk).

I'm definitely cleaned out as well.

Watching it on the monitor is definitely worth the prep! Plus, the drugs are awesome.

The Fleet I was meaning wasn't the enemas.....rather the liquid drink phosphosoda. BLEH!! Totally nausea the day of my colonoscopy which I've never experienced before. Ruined the whole process

Why did you have the colonoscopy? Do you have diverticulosis?

Were your results favourable?

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it'll be helpful to others as well.

Best to you,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 11-30-2004 at 11:23 AM.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
(male)

ZakaGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi,

Wow, I think I'll just stick to the gallon of GoLytely (and ilk).

I'm definitely cleaned out as well.

Watching it on the monitor is definitely worth the prep! Plus, the drugs are awesome.

The Fleet I was meaning wasn't the enemas.....rather the liquid drink phosphosoda. BLEH!! Totally nausea the day of my colonoscopy which I've never experienced before. Ruined the whole process

Why did you have the colonoscopy? Do you have diverticulosis?

Were your results favourable?

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it'll be helpful to others as well.

Best to you,
quincy
Hi Quincy,
My suggestion about the Dulcolax was to keep you from having to drink the WHOLE gallon of prep solution. After I had drank half a gallon, it was getting more and more difficult.

I had my colonoscopy due to family history/age/Bleeding in the past. I had 2 or 3 flexible sigmoidscopies over about 9 years and the doctor put his foot down and said it was time to do the CS.
Since there wasn't much to the Flex Sig, I told the Dr I wanted to stay awake and watch and would let him know if I needed any pain meds. He gave my 1 mg Versed and 1ml sublamaze at the start. I only felt discomfort (moderate cramp) when the scope went around the splenic flexure (turn the colon makes under the left ribs). Other than that there was no pain. Also he gave me a shot of Glucagon right as he started the procedure. Glucagon relaxes smooth muscle (colon) so I had no sensation of gas pressure form having my colon inflated with air. I watched as he removed 3 polyps and didn't feel a thing. I thought sure I would have felt a "pinch" as he burnt off the polyps, but didn't feel a thing. The Path report came back negative . I am due for another colonoscopy this summer and will stay awake for that one too.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear your scope went well and that the report was clear.

Mine was as well (I have UC), no precancerous cells reported, and that was my biggest sigh of relief. I've had no polyps.

Interesting about how the polyps are removed and then burnt...makes sense to help stop the bleeding. The biopsies I have done look like little "aliens" grabbing the tissue. I do bleed from them for a few days, tho.

In any event, hope the next clean-out for you "goes" smoothly.

I don't get my next one for 3 years (unless symptoms warrant it).

Keep well,
quincy

Old 12-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I hate that Golytely stuff. I could never drink all of it without vomiting.

I had a couple colonoscopies 10 years ago when I was having Crohn's like problems. They were the worst experiences of my life. Incredibly painful, the whole time, so much so that they could not finish either exam. I was literally screaming in pain during the second one. Then they turned up whatever drug they were pumping in me and the pain started to fade....until the nurse started to tell me to breathe and they turned it down.

My symptoms went away in time, fortunately, but I should probably have another exam at some point. Have they changed medications they use now? I don't ever want to go through another such painful experience again. And worse, I don't want the drugs to kill me during such a procedure.

Closed Thread