It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #1

RitaL HB User
Post Perdiem

I have a bowel disorder which the Dr. couldn't even come up with a name for. However, for several years I was able to get some relief from my symptoms by using the Perdiem granules in the yellow bottle...which had Senna in it. Now they've quit making the granules and switched to a pill...which is not the same exact ingredients. What I am wondering is this...have any of you used the Perdiem granules, and what have you switched to now that they no longer make it? I am really upset about this, and don't know what to do. Thanks for your help!

------------------
~ Rita ~

Old 04-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Perdiem comes in two formula's and the overnight formula has the senna in it. Senna is a laxative and the ingredient in Senekot. You might be better off to try fiber therapy with Metamucil 3 times a day and use colace aka docusate if the stools are hard and if no decent BM by the third day use a glycerin suppository. Perhaps Harry has more input on this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Rita,

I think Metamucil will give the same results. I think you just need a good fiber supplement that works as a bowel regulator and is safe to take daily. Just make sure you drink enough water daily and with Metamucil.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 04-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #4

RitaL HB User
Thank you both for trying to help, but the Metamucil doesn't work for me. The Dr. has me using Citrucel and the Perdiem with Senna. I have to use it every day. She didn't know the exact name of my problem, but she said it is a "mechanical" problem, and it is like my bowels try to expel themselves. All I know is that it is worse than awful. The Citrucel and Perdiem have helped more than anything I've every tried. And now that they quit making the Perdiem granules I don't know what I'm going to do.

------------------
~ Rita ~

Old 04-22-2003, 06:52 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to go back to the doc as there are tons of medications out there to try besides perdiem. Also if you give me a list of what is in the perdiem granules and I can look up a comparable product on the web for you. Senna is available in many forms so that would be one of the first things to try is a different form or senna but I would also consider a different routine since senna is a laxative and long term laxative use is not a good idea. I really think that trying some other form of bowel products with your doctors help is the best way to go since there are so many new products on the market.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:42 AM   #6

sapphira HB User
Hi Rita, I used Perdiem too on the advice of my gastroenterologist and yes, they quit distributing it here in the States. However, it is still available in Canada under the name of Prodiem. I've been buying it there. Metamucil does nothing for me either. I've never tried Citrucel, but did try the Metamucil with lots of water and it did not work. I have redundant colon and IBS. Between the two conditions it makes having a BM very difficult.

sapphira

Old 04-23-2003, 07:35 AM   #7

RitaL HB User
Sapphira ~ I am so appreciative.I'd love to "talk" with you. Thanks a bunch!
Please tell me how I can get it???

------------------
~ Rita ~

Please read board guidelines ----posting personal email addresses on the board is not allowed.
moderator4

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 04-23-2003).]

Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM   #8

sapphira HB User
Hi Rita, just do a 'net search for Prodiem. It will take you to websites that have it.

sapphira

Old 04-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #9

sapphira HB User
P.S. Rita, you may have to do your search with the words 'buy Prodiem' or look for over the counter meds in Canada. There are drug stores online.

sapphira

Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 PM   #10

RitaL HB User
Thanks for the info Sapphira. Oops...I guess I did a booboo with the email address thing. Bummer though, as I really wish I could email you. I have lots to ask you. I am going to do a search right now. Thanks again. ~ Rita

Old 04-23-2003, 07:13 PM   #11

RitaL HB User
Another question for you Sapphira. How much does it cost to have it shipped from Canada?

Old 04-23-2003, 08:31 PM   #12

sapphira HB User
Rita, I think I pay 12$ flat rate. I order two cans at a time. I know we can not post web addresses here or I would tell you where I buy from. Have you found any places yet? Good luck

sapphira

Old 04-23-2003, 08:52 PM   #13

RitaL HB User
I found a couple sites, and sent emails to their "contact us" addresses....asking about shipping, etc. Truthfully, I think it's ridiculous that they quit making the product to sell in the US, but they still sell it in Canada. I wrote to them telling them my situation, and that I was very disappointed they quit making it. Anyway...thanks again. ~ Rita

Old 04-23-2003, 08:57 PM   #14

RitaL HB User
Sapphira ~ I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your help in this matter. I want so much to be able to contact you privately. I have lots of questions, and things to say, that I don't feel all that comfortable posting for all to read. Thanks for the help you have given me. ~ Rita

Old 04-25-2003, 06:30 AM   #15

sapphira HB User
Rita, did you find out anything from your inquiries regarding Perdiem/Prodiem? I forgot to tell you that I take Bentyl too for my IBS. My gastroenterologist prescribed it and it does help. If I do not take it, I notice a big difference.

sapphira

edited for spelling ;-)

[This message has been edited by sapphira (edited 04-25-2003).]

Closed Thread