It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 AM   #1

zina HB User
Unhappy METAMUCIL OR COLON CANCER

I've been diagnosed with IBS.My symptoms abdom.pain,gas,bloating, mild constipation (small hard stools)alternating with soft stool started year and half ago. I am on continuous BCP for endometriosis (diagnosed through laparascopy two years ago). I had neg. flex. sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy two years ago.My doctor suggested Metamucil and I started using it two weeks ago.The abdominal pains and discomfort got much better but the stool shape became somewhat abnormal.First BM is usually thin,long, pencil size, hard and lumpy (it looks like thin rope). Second BM is soft,big and bulky(probably because of Metamucil). I heard that thin pencil size stool is symptom of colon cancer.I am very nervous because of that. Can Metamucil cause this? Should I go for another colonoscopy? Please reply.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Your stools should even out once your body adjusts to the metamucil. At this time you need to continue on the metamucil since it is helping with your constipation. The fact that your second BM is softer and bulkier indicates that the fiber therapy is doing it's job. At this time I wouldn't worry about your first BM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2003, 01:48 PM   #3

JanettoB HB User
What you are seeing is very common when you take Metamucil and have IBS constipation.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
(male)

problems 23 HB User
Re: METAMUCIL OR COLON CANCER

Hi, I have a question I also have told by a doctor I have IBS and I just can't settle for that I have pencil like stool or diarrhea all of the time I have had diarrhea and constipation off and on mostly diarrhea over the last few yrs. some times it would be black but barely ever within the last few days I have been feeling a stinging sensation in my lower right abdomen they said it is definitely not appendix but I feel nauseas not very hungry and my throat keeps feeling swollen I also can't remember a lot of things and I smoke now and then not much but I am only 23 yrs old, frequent urination, thirsty all day, and my doctor just pokes me every now and then to check my sugar and its always 94 or somin my neck and abdomen pulsate sometimes I don't have health Ins. and can't afford it I already work all week long from early till late I feel fatigue, tired and my joints ache and crack alot I have gained weight and it doesn't matter how much I exercise I actually will regress and feel horrible my diet isn't that bad either. although I my marriage is great and I am generally a happy person I really don't think it is stress or depression I actually am scared for my health. My grandfather and father did nothing but abuse their bodies I think I have been pretty good to mine. I was thinking this might be thyroid I don't know someone help me out here. please

Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

anprdp HB User

Not all of your symptoms seem intertwined to me. The stools very well are related to IBS which flares depending on stress, eating, hormones, etc. The likely hood of you having colon cancer at 23 is small, but I advocate everyone (no matter your age) should have a colonoscopy. Even if you have no family history of problems. There are foods to avoid if your IBS is symptomatic like tomatoes, acidic fruits and their drinks, caffeine, red meat, etc. This could help you out alot as I also shift from loose stools to constipation.

The lower right abdomen pain might very well be ovulation pain if you only experience it a few days a month. Otherwise, your colon could be producing the pain as most of us with IBS cramp mildly to severly before and during bowel movements. I have had kids and having them were less painful than some of my bowel movements that I have had.

Your doctor is right to test your blood sugar when you complain of fatigue, thirst, and frequent urination. These are the most important indicators of diabetes type 2, which I have and those were the symptoms I had as well.

With the weight gain and the other symptoms, I would say it is a good idea to get your thyroid tested and I am kind of surprised your doctor has not already done this as my doctor did when I found out I had diabetes. It sounds like your thyroid is hypo and is not functioning properly. Or it could be leading to something else even.

One other thing as a smoker desperately trying to quit still......DO NOT GO NEAR ANOTHER CIGARETTE. I am 30 now and have so many health problems it isn't funny. Hence, why I advocate colonoscopies at any age. I have already had a colon resection. But, if there was one thing I would change in my life, it would be to have never picked up smoking, socially or regularly. I am on Chantix now, but over the last month I went back to smoking due to a death in the family and sickness of another memeber. Do not risk it if you aren't addicted. Good luck and I hope this helps. And yes, get the thyroid tested as well.

Last edited by anprdp; 05-03-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Zina...I have IBS too, only mine is the diarrhea type. I get such severe abdominal pain much of the time, I am on pain medication for it. Actually, the med (Methadone) helps the pain, but also it slows the bowel down, so I don't spend as much time in the bathroom.

I wouldn't be too concerned about cancer at your age, but it isn't out of the range of possibilities. I don't know how much Metamucil you are taking, but I take two doses (you can take three) per day, of the Orange sugar free and it helps a lot. If things don't improve, then you might consider checking with your doctor. Your bowel movements are caused because you have such a slow bowel. Metamucil, and drinking a lot of liquids help that. My son was the same way when he was a teenager. I haven't asked him if it's still a problem for him.

Closed Thread