It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 08:38 PM   #1

courtneyclv HB User
Post took a bottle of laxative and still couldnt go

I have had chronic constipation for about a month now and could only have a bm with 2 ex lax..one didn't do a thing. I went to the doctor and she gave me a bottle of miralax (128mg I think) I took it twice daily and used up the whole bottle (in 3 days) and STILL couldnt go! I gained 5 lbs and my belly could look pregnant. I just tood a suppository. How many of them should I use and until when? I called my doc and told her how the mira lax didnt work. She sent me in for bloodwork and an ex ray but didnt suggest anything. (the receptionist told me about the suppository) I am suppose to go in again in 2 weeks..but what about until then? What should I do to clean myself out, nothing works but suppositorys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to add some fiber therapy such as metamucil 2-3 times a day and drink plenty of water as well as prune juice or prunes. If you haven't had a decent BM by the third day then use a glycerin suppository. If this is not effective then use a baking soda enema. If you really need help with getting cleaned out you can use a soap suds enema but be sure to follow this with a plain or baking soda enema as the castile soap can be harsh on your system. For now get started on the fiber therapy and increase your water intake as well as making sure you get enough exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #3

courtneyclv HB User
I drink enough water and eat fiber ALL day long. THe laxatives don't work, eating prunes and fiber and water do not work. That is why I had an ex ray..there may be blockage or something..something is wrong. I exercise all day long also..I am a cocktail server and walk miles a day and exercise. I used a suppository and not much came out. I do not want to give myself an enema. I am thinking I have some kind of IBS that doesnt make me feel like I ever have to have a BM movement. Is there anytihng I can do or should I go back to the doctor?
wbs

Old 08-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Since you are not having a sufficient BM with the suppository then yes you really should give yourself an enema to get things cleaned out and start fresh. Once you get cleaned out with the enema be sure to use metamucil 2-3 times a day in any one of the forms it comes in. You may eat plenty of fiber but your system is telling you that it is not getting enough of the kind of fiber it needs. Head to your local drug department of a store an pick up an enema bag and some castile soap or baking soda and use the enema to get cleaned out so you can try to get your system back on track. If you don't use the enema and still don't have a sufficient BM you will wind up needing to go to the docs office and they will do an enema there or do a manual removal of the impacted stool. I really think it would be less embarrasing for you do an enema at home than to have it done at the docs office or to have him manually remove the stool.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #5

courtneyclv HB User
I am going tomorrow to get colonic cleansing/hydrotherapy done. THat will clean out my system in about an hour. It is very popular here in the west and all I have heard are good comments. This HAS to work and it is better than an enema you administer yourself at home.
wb
Courtney

Old 08-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
(female)

Brendap HB User
Courtney:
Please let me know your thoughts on the colonic after it is over. I have given this some serious thought also. I have friends that swear by it.

Good luck. Brenda

Old 08-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
The colonics may clean you out but it will not be anything more than a quick fix for your constipation. You are still going to need to take fiber therapy such as metamucil to help get your system regulated. Good Luck.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #8

courtneyclv HB User
I am not sure why everyone keeps saying to eat more fiber, me and another person on healthboards do eat it and nothing works. I eat prunes, fiber, etc etc. That isnt the problem. There is more to it than that. Our bodies are not set up like yours..it it was as simple as eating fiber and drinking water..would we be on this site? My colonic therapist said not to take fiber supplements or metamucil unless you drink like a fish, it will make you constipated. I was told to get another colonic done, to loosen more up, then take barleans fortifax and some probiotics..not fiber

Old 08-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #9

JanettoB HB User
I agree about the Metamucil making some of us constipated. I am one of those unfortunate people. HOW I wish it were that simple for me!!!!

I have read several articles in health journals saying that Metamucil can make some people's constipation worse. I use to take Metamucil and drink so much water to try to espand it that I could not leave the house.......I was on the toilet peeing all the time.

I am taking something similar to Metamucil/psyllium....in pellet form that you just swallow with gulps of lots of water. As usual, it helped at first, then my system got use to it and is not helping very much.

I am now adding two tablespoons of flaxseed soaked in warm water for several hours....and gulping all of that down. Seems to be helping some for right now....don't know what it will be like in a months time. I'll be buying a coffee grinder when I get to the U.S. to grind them up.

When I am in the U.S., I eat Kelloggs All Bran Extra Fiber everyday and it is the only thing that makes me go easily. We have Kelloggs All Bran here in Venezuela, but it is not the same by any means.......very salty....and very hard to chew. YUK!!!! And it does not work!!

I've just had my colonscopy done several months ago and have IBS....extremely spastic colon. Doc said he had to keep waiting for my colon to open up so that he could advance. What usually would have been a 15-20 procedure turned out to be 45 minutes!!! Don't remember a thing about the procedure......and I was in la la land for the rest of the day.

IBS constipation affects all of us differently!!! It is the PITTS!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #10

courtneyclv HB User
Have you tried Barleans Fortiflax? (look it up under google under 'barleans fortiflax') I guess it is already ground up. I am getting some today. I am also getting Primal Defense...it is a probiotic and is suppose to regulate bacteria or something that may cause bloating. My doc told me about it and so did some people on here.
wbs

Old 08-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ciship HB User
I hear ya!! I am on my 10th day today with no bowel movement and boy do I feel like crap!! (sorry). Anyway, I am doing everything this board has posted. I am a fiber freak. I have always loved the whole grains and breads, veggies, etc...so, I agree...that's not it with me either. I drink water all day long b/c I work at a fitness center (so it isnt lack of exercise either!!) I did the enema yesterday in desperation and the only thing that came out was clear water!! So, obviously whatever the problem is is WAY up in my intestines. I am drinking "smooth move" tea today and I hear grumblings going on...maybe this tea will help. What a nightmare...I hate this!! It makes me so sluggish, light headed and tired too.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #12

courtneyclv HB User
I did an enema yesterday too (the one that looks like a big suppository) i went, but not enough as needed. On my second colonic..nothing came out either! I am wondering what to do. This is effecting my job though. I get so bloated that I feel very self concscious and look like i have gained a lot of weight in the tummy area. (i have to wear a midriff! ahhhh
What else is there to do if I am drinking water, doing an enema AND having 40 grams of fiber a day?

Old 08-10-2003, 06:44 PM   #13

kiki lou HB User
I think it's time to see the doctor again. BTW, are you able to pass gas? If not, you could have a blockage of some kind.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #14

courtneyclv HB User
Yes I am able to pass gas. And my x-ray showed up perfectly fine??? Just a lot of stool in it.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Phillips Milk of Magnesia is the only thing that works for me when I get constipated. Exlax always made me hurt worse plus I like stimulant free medicines. I take a cup (supplied with the medicine) of magnesia and I am flushed out about 8 hours later. Great stuff for me and now there are several flavors to choose from with vanilla being my favorite.

Closed Thread