It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

ellie40 HB User
Post thinner stools

Hi was wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms. Since the beginning of July I have had looser stools accompanied with bouts of diarreha, the color of stools has been yellow in color. I have had some weight loss also about 11 pounds within the last few months. I went to the Dr last week she is running blood work CBC and ESR. Also had to do stool samples checking for parasites,giardia, stool culture and fecal leukocytes. Have not gotten results back yet. However back in Feb went to Dr because of diarreha and small amount of bright red blood after wiping. She ran a CBC blood test then along with fecal stool sample both came back negative for anything unusual. She then thought possible IBS. However since then my stools seem narrower in size but its hard to tell since they are ALWAYS loose. They always seem to be yellow in color also. Im worried I might have colon cancer I am 41 years old. Can IBS cause narrow stools along with diarreha and cramping? Every morning when I get up I go and its always loose and in small amounts. Sometimes I go a little then have to go again. It seems I get more cramping on the right side. Im worried that sometimes (not alot) I see bright red streaks of blood on tissue after wiping. My Dr has also given me a referal to Gastroenterology I couldnt get in until August 26th. I hate this waiting and not knowing whats wrong with me!! Thanks much-

Old 08-10-2003, 10:30 AM   #2

whyme2525 HB User
Ellie,

Yes IBS can cause thinner stools and yes I have had that same issue. My doctor put me on Fibercon to make them bulkier. I understand the whole colon cancer thing becuase of the blood, but here's a good way to look at that. After you have a BM, if you were to pat your self with the paper, is there blood? If you get blood simply from patting the area then yes I would address it. If you are WIPING the area continuously becuase of anxiety then you may be causing the bleeding. Note the difference and unfortuntely welcome to the world of IBS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

islandgirl HB User
Hi, if it'll make you feel better I too have been having bowel problems lately. Every morning I have a bm (mostly yellow and formed but soft)without cramping. But I do have an almost constant irritated, low-grade pain in my abdominal area (belly button area and off to the side). A lot of gurgling noises. Do you also get these symptoms - I'd like to know.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #4

ballmom14 HB User
I also have IBS and I have had thin stools for about a year. Fibercon has helped, but my doctor put me on Colace as well, and that was when I noticed the major difference -- not in the size of the stool (still narrow), but it is now much easier for me to have a bowel movement and there is much less gas. You can get it over the counter, but it is a bit costly.

Old 08-16-2003, 05:44 AM   #5
(female)

ellie40 HB User
Thanks for replies, as far as my symptoms I also get pain (crampy) in my lower right side too.I also get bouts of diarrhea. More so in AM. I will go and then have to go again it feels like I'm not done and have to go more. When I go out in public I worry about not being around a bathroom. Sometimes after I eat I get bad cramping and have to immediatly hit the bathroom! I just got back all my tests for blood, stool etc and all came back within normal range. So now its off to the Gastro Dr. on August 26th. My family Dr said the Gastro Doc will probably want to do exploratory surgery like an colonoscopy. My mom just had it done and said it wasnt so bad except for the prep before. Cleaning yourself out!!! She has Divuticulitis (sp?) So I guess I will have to wait and see what my problem is. Im just so worried about colon cancer I'm 41 and worried about my stools being thinner and narrower. I had a CBC (blood work) would it show if you had cancer? It came back within normal range. If its determined I have IBS after ruling out other things, what do they prescribe for it? Its so annoying and embarrasing when I have to jump up and run to the bathroom! Especially at work or a resturant. Im just so sick of all this. Im taking metamucil and it helps some but there are days it gets really bad with the diarreha and cramping pains.

Closed Thread