It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 07:17 AM   #1

mike in phoenix HB User
Question strange shape

I know that, all things being normal, bowel movements are to be about silver dollar size diameter and six inches or longer. Well, mine look like shavings or pieces and are never longer than about three inches. This seems to persist no matter what my diet happens to be.

About two years ago, was diagnosed with acid reflux, a small hiatial hernia and we also did the scope down the esophagus to look for signs of cancer. None found.

Anyone relate to this or have knowledge about what this might be an indication of?

Old 08-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #2

Megan_Park HB User
Mike! I have the exact same thing...even the Acid Reflux Disease, I was diagnosed with that this year. I know what you mean about shavings...i havent had anything longer for months and months.
Im getting the scope next week too.
Just wanted to let you know there's another clueless person here who doesn't know what this is!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #3

Megan_Park HB User
What medication are you on for the Acid Reflux? I'm on Pantoloc...think it could be that?

Old 08-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Talking

Mike I have your conditions, and had stools like yours, but found that with 3 cups of oatmeal for breakfast, bran with my lunch and dinner, I added 'bulk' but have also had to have stool softeners too. If I cut back on the fiber and water, my stools go back to the same small size and shape.

I decided not to take any prescription medications for my reflux due to all of the side effects. I have done pretty well taking care of my reflux with watching what I eat (no acidy stuff, especially at supper), and using an occasional rolaids. However, cold weather, airconditioning can trigger acid reflux and cause me distress, but actually having a snack helps.

Have you tried adding bulk forming foods? I have to tell you that have a bowel movement isn't like running a factory: you can't produce a perfect product by tweaking a few ingredients.

The question is, do you feel all right? If so, why worry about the size and shape of your stools, unless you are constipated and your stools are hurting you, or you have diarrhea that is troublesome, or there is blood in your stool, or your stool has a strange color that might indicate a gall bladder problem, or some other organ problem, or you have frothy, foamy stools that can indicate malabsorption?

Not trying to downplay your concern, just trying to ease your mind that the size and shape of your stools aren't such a big deal, if they aren't causing you any trouble, and that you can't expect to form the perfect stool on demand. In other words, you can be healthy even without the 'perfect size and shape' of stool.

Whoever came up with those dimensions anyway????

Old 08-30-2003, 06:05 PM   #5

topkitty147 HB User
Go off as many refined foods as possible. even more important: Go off refined SUGAR !! This will probably help you. It is an evil against good health and causes most health problems to become worse. Believe me. It worked for me.

Closed Thread