It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #1

LollyLolly HB User
Post More diverticulitis, 6 months after resection

Hi all --

I had a colon resection about 6 months ago, for diverticulitis. My family has a history of early diverticulitis and I had my resection at age 35. Now, it's six months later, and I've got another case of diverticulitis. Aaarrggh!

It seems to be responding to Flagyl and Levaquin, although I had that happen before, too, only to rebound with an abscess. I've been taking FiberCon twice daily for forever, drink about a 100oz. of water daily and am pretty good at getting my fruits and veggies in.

Anyone out there with experience with this kind of recurrence? How did it resolve? Am I looking at another resection within a few years? Any experiences or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Lolly,
Welcome to Healthboards!!!

I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed because of chronic diverticular bleeding. I was taking a medicine Plavix to keep from having strokes. The only thing is when the bleed started ---it wouldn't stop. I lost half of my blood, passed out in the ER. A shot of Vitamin K probaly saved my like--at any rate it stopped the bleeding. That was 2/11/2002. I doing fine now.

I think you should be taking a water soluble fiber like psyllium that is in Metamucil and Equate from Wal Mart. It is a stool bulking agent and is safe to take daily. It will not only keep you regular but will clean the diverticulars out and folds in your colon.
FiberCon is polycarbophil and is synthetic and does not ferment or is not broken down by intestinal bacteria-- it acts like an insoluble fiber. If you're a fruit and veggie eat you probably get enough insoluble fiber but need more soluble fiber that is fiber that absorbs water.

I use to have diverticulitis 4 or 5 times yearly and after I began taking psyllium it was rear to have an infected diverticular. Of course now I don't have any sigmoid or descending colon or slenic flexure left so I have no divertiulars. And, I take psyllium twice daily so I won't get any more.

To make your intestines function properly you need to intake 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily. If you don't you will get more diverticulars as well as hemorrhoids.

Taking such a strong antibiotic like you're taking will may produce a candida/yeast infection that has to be dealt with. Eating yogurt and taking a probiotic supplement will help rebalance your friendly intestinal bacteria that the antibiotic killed off.

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM   #3

LollyLolly HB User
Hi Harry --

Thanks for your reply.

I took Metamucil many years ago, but just found it too unpalatable, so my doctor then suggested FiberCon. My colorectal surgeon said the FiberCon was fine, but you made a good point about the types of fiber they are and, after all, I am still having problems. Do you know if Benefiber is a good choice? My sister is using it and says it's very easy.

So far, so good with the antibiotics. I still have some pain, but it's not bad. Mostly, I'm just so tired now.

I see my surgeon again mid-month, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say. He originally said I would have only a 4% chance of getting diverticulitis again following the surgery. Now that it's happened, he says we act like I'm starting over again, and so there's a 70% chance I'll never have it again now. Given the fact that he said there are numerous diverticula throughout my colon (a family history thing), and my age, I fully expected to have a recurrence, but certainly not this soon. Yuck.

You mentioned a pro-biotic supplement. What is that and where do you get it?

Again, thanks for your help. Please enjoy your weekend!

Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #4

LollyLolly HB User
Update - the antibiotics don't seem to have done the trick (a 10-day course), so we're trying another couple of weeks of them. Then, we'll repeat the scan and evaluate from there.

My concern is that this is kind of the pattern I had last time, and that ended up with a resection. I realize the antibiotics still have time to work, so I'm not terribly worried, but it is still disconcerting.

If anyone's got any further experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Enjoy your day!

Closed Thread