It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #1

Ricky U HB User
Question 8 Yr Old Nausea & Stomach Ache Only In Morning

My 8 yr old son for the past 2 months has been waking up every morning with nuasea & stomach aches.Pedetrition said it is constipation.He had blood test,parasite test,cat scan for brain tumor all negative.He has no weight loss,no fever,no fear of school or signs of depression.Just every morning he feels nausea and trys to vomit but rarely does. After he goes thru this he is fine for the rest of the day.He is very energetic.So he was referred to GI DR.she thinks its gastroparesis.She has scheduled a scope & gastrotroparesis test.But as you all probably know with stomach problems every doctor thinks and has a different opinion.Maybe I should get a 2 opinion.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Ricky, you should also look into food allergies, or food intolerances. You should make a list of what your son is eating. Then you should put your son on a bland diet of easily digested foods, like white rice, boiled chicken, bananas, toast--no spices, fatty foods, no unrefined grains like whole wheat (even in cereals) for a few days and see if his symptoms in the morning go away. If they do, then you should slowly, every 2 days add on of his foods and see how he is the following day.

Since this is only in the morning, it could very likely be something he has eaten the day before. Also, is he on any kind of medication? Some medicines can cause sideeffects as well.

Naturally you should also go through the tests you have scheduled, but you should also be doing what you can to eliminate if his problem is due to his diet. This can only be accomplished with a diet of elimination, going on bland foods, to see if his symptoms go away. If they do, then you can assume it is something he is eating. Then the next step is to find what, by adding his regular foods one at a time, every couple of days or more to see if he then grows ill.

You can first start to think back if there is something new he has added to his diet in the last few months, including any supplements. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 10:13 PM   #3

Ricky U HB User
Question

He is on no meds.I am now looking into food allergies.The only suspect food that eats regurally are eggs.He loves eggs.He has had a mild rash twice since he started having the stomach problems but it only lasted a few hours.But could he have just become allergic to eggs or what ever food ?He has been eating eggs since he could first eat.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Ricky, I have to tell you that I developed an allergy to eggs, a very terrible one, 3 years ago, after eating eggs for decades. Why? I don't know, but I had to stop eating eggs, period. Maybe because I started to eat eggs several times a week for breakfast a couple of years before that happened.

It took me a long time, over a year, to figure out it was the eggs, as I couldn't believe it. I figured it out by slowly cutting out all foods, one by one, and going on that elimination diet. I started to see that each time I ate eggs, I would be sick later. Finally, when I cut the eggs out, my stomach problems went away.

Now that's just one allergy, eggs. But I also am allergic to wheat and other things. I can usually get away with eating these things if I stop eating them for a while, then have them infrequently. Right now I am risking flaring up my wheat allergy because I have to eat bran to fight constipation as I heal from hemorrhoid surgery.

Allergies are funny: you can develop an allergic reaction out of the blue from something you have eaten without problem for years. So you can't ever say or think that because your son has been eating certain foods since he was a baby without any problems, that they can't now be causing him allergies or intolerances. At any time he could develop an allergy to some food, especially if he starts to eat a lot of it or have it regularly every day.

You should also examine if he is eating any wheat also. Bottom line you can only figure out if he is allergic or has food intolerances by doing an elimination diet. You can also think about scheduling him to be tested by an allergist for food allergies; but, your son can also just have intolerance to certain foods, not necessarily allergies as well---that you can discover by doing an elimination diet, by putting him on bland foods, then introducing his regular foods one at a time and see if any of those cause him trouble.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #5

gailski98 HB User
ive heard that ULCERS tend to hurt only in the mornings. it has been proven that ulcers are caused by
a bacterial infection in the stomach, which is treatable. however, many docs still beleive in the old school of thought that ulcers are not treatable and give all kinds of antacids.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #6

Ricky U HB User
Unhappy

Just came back from GI got endoscope.She said photos show irritation.Pre ulcers.DR.said that its acid that is causing reflux and irritation.So prescribe meds.Well now atleast we know what the problem is. Do you guys think since I have a copy of the photos I should take them to another GI for a second opinion?Not that I don't trust the DR. but just as a parent I guess I want a different result.

Old 09-26-2003, 03:49 AM   #7

gailski98 HB User
well, why SHOULD you trust him? Just because he attended some doctor school, that was FUNDED by the pharmacutical companies? Trust your mommy instinct, which is telling you, to go seek a second opinion. what the heck is pre-ulcer? your stomach is full of acid. its suppose to be. the more acid you have , the better off you are. if it were stomach acid that is "irritating" to the gut, wouldnt we all have this condition? We all have stomach acid. something else is inflamming his gut. do some reasearch online for "yeast infection in the gut", "bacterial infection in the gut, and "the yeast connection". also, check out the "www.mrbean.net" website. this research will open your eyes to a whole world of information that traditional doctors don't want you to know. you'll be glad you did.
Three different kiaser doctors told my mother her nausia/gurping up was caused by reflux. they put her on all kinds of meds to keep her "reflux" at bay. well she beleived them, through three years of this.They pacified her symptoms , and it kept her out of their hair , for awhile. her symptoms eventually progressed... finally she kept admitting herself to emergency. turns out ...3 years,11 docs, 8 emergency visits later...she had cancer. it showed up on a simple blood test, called CTA test. I am not saying your child has cancer. What im saying is...trust your gut, do your research, ask for copies of his blood tests, look up his results online, etc. keep asking questions.
ps..have you considered taking him to a naturopath?
Good luck.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Ricky U, I agree with gailski98, you should get a copy of the films and get a second or third opinion before putting an 8 year old child on prescription strength reflux medicine. I was also diagnosed with GERD, or reflux years ago. I was prescribed medicine, each which has the possibility of many adverse side effects, one of which included hallucinations, and psychiatric problems.

Do you think I would do that to myself just for some occasional stomach irritation? Hell no. Not when taking a rolaids or tums would accomplish the same thing, and not eating any acid inducing foods or drinks would do the same. Your son should not have any orange juice or any acidy drinks, as orange juice increases acid production and anyone with reflux shouldn't have it. He should also avoid any tomato sauces or tomatoes, period, but definitely at suppertime or dinner time as this will cause reflux towards bedtime. Also, it helps for him to have frequent small meals, especially of some carbohydrate with a bit of protein.

What is a pre-ulcer but irritation of the stomach lining. Either he has an ulcer or not. What he has is no doubt an irritated lining, which if the condition which is causing it is not addressed, may lead to an ulcer down the road. So, mom, eliminate all of the acid producing foods, that will help greatly.

Before accepting any prescription medicine treatment for your son, go visit your local bookstore, pick up any nursing prescription drug book, and read the side effects of the medicine any doctor wants your 8 yr old to take. I think that alone will lead you to try ways to control his reflux through proper diet and occasional over the counter rememdies. Surf the internet for information on reflux disease and foods and drinks to avoid, including vitamins with ascorbic acid can cause reflux flare-ups. I used to like to take chewable kid vitamins, but had to stop because they are irritating to my reflux due to the acid.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #9

lulu43 HB User
I went thru these very same symptoms. Do you know if his potassium level was checked in the blood test? If your potassium gets low enough, you will be nauseated and have a tummy ache every morning when you wake up...I honestly felt like I was pregnant when my potassium was so low last March; but, I had a complete hysterectomy a few months before that so that was a quick rule out.

I also have occasional gerd/reflux. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia when I was in 7th grade, 22 years ago. I'm not on a regular medication for my reflux because I try not to eat an abundance of what makes it irritable...some of the tomato products, etc. listed above.

Anyway, I agree with the other posters, get the 2nd opinion. And, make sure his potassium was checked as well because that is a real easy fix

Closed Thread