It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 05:28 AM   #1

jay0882 HB User
Post lump on butt cheek?

i have a purple lump on the cheek of my butt. it sometimes hurts to sit on it, and seems to fill up with puss. every couple days i have to pop it to keep the swelling down. anyone know what it might be? an external hemorrhoid maybe? anyone know how to get rid of it? any input would be nice, thanks!
jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If it is filled with pus then it isn't a hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are varicose veins of the rectum. You need to get this checked out by the doc and don't pop it as this can spread the bacteria and cause more infections. Your doc will probably prescribe and antibiotic if this truely does have purulent material in it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 01:45 PM   #3

jay0882 HB User
i have no insurance or doctor yet. i just started up a new job which offered health insurance. im still waiting for it to take effect. is there anything i can do to keep it at bay for a few weeks until i can see the doc?

thanks,
jay

Old 09-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #4

runninggal HB User
Sounds like you may have an infected cyst. They are common in that area and can become chronic, filling with puss and then spontaneously draining. I would go see your doctor. Be prepared though, many times it is neccessary to lance the cyst, drain it, and then pack it with a surgical gauze wick, which must be changed daily for several days. It's not pleasant, but along with oral antibiotics, it is the only way to rid yourself of the cyst.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #5

BibiGirl HB User
jay, acording to my book, you may have a "hematoma" It is a blood clot, probably formed from a burst blood vessel. In appearance, it is a blue-black, rounded, dome-shaped swelling. A hematoma nearly always goes away by itself, but there is much more advice on this situation.The section in my book is over 7 pages regarding this, so I've only stated the obvious. Please help yourself, go see the Doctor now. It should'nt be a big deal to correct this problem, again go see the Doctor.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:33 AM   #6

jay0882 HB User
i did some research on the net about hematoma and infected cysts, and it seems i have a cyst. they recommend draining it , and seeing a doctor if it doesnt go away. its been there over a month now. i still have another month to go until my insurance starts. should i continue draining it? or should i take a trip to the doc early and fork out money i dont have?

Old 09-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to see the doc so the infection doesn't spread. It shouldn't be a big cost at the docs and if you ask ahead of time many have a payment plan that can be worked out. You already mentioned that you are working so just prioritize what your needs as far as how you spend your paycheck but make this #1 on your priority list.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #8

runninggal HB User
Hi Jay,
When I posted that I thought you probably had a cyst, I wasn't quoting something I had read on the internet, I have been there. The cyst will continue to fill with puss and then drain until your doctor actually removes the cyst by scalpel. You then are left with a "crater" that has to heal from the bottom up, hence it must be packed and redressed daily with sterile dressing. If you don't do the packing, the wound will heal over from the top and infection will set in. A cyst is self-contained. It is not going to spread, but it is not going to get better on its own either. See a doc. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #9

8360 HB User
Lightbulb

I am so glad someone starting a post about this topic cuz this is nearly exactly what I am experiencing. Last Thursday, I noticed a 4 cm firm mass/swelling on my left buttock cheek. I freaked out.

This all started from first getting pain in the tail bone after a 12 hr roadtrip on 8/17. The pain didn't go away and I saw my doctor on 9/5. Took advil for a week and it went away. But then I started noticing tenderness in the left buttock cheek. Then last weekend, I started to really notice it. I decided to feel around there and noticed something firm. It defintely was not there last Thursday....it became much more pronounced this past weekend.

So y'all think it's probably a cyst?

I saw the doctor yesterday and they palpated it and didn't really know exactly what it was. My primary dr. said it might be an abcess. The surgeon thought either filled with pus or might be fatty tumor (benign). They want to send me to surgery this Friday to (1) drain whatever is there and (2) remove whatever lump is there and biopsy it.

They said doing ultrasound, CT scan or fine needle biopsy wasn't really necessary and probably won't give them any more info, since the the mass is very close to the surface and they see it.

What do y'all think?

Old 09-17-2003, 12:24 AM   #10

runninggal HB User
The protocol suggested by your doctor sounds perfectly reasonable for an abscessed cyst. I also had an abscessed cyst that had to be surgically removed. The procedure was done in the doctor's office, using local anesthesia. The anesthetic wore off after about 4 hours and I was in quite a bit of discomfort that night. I was offered narcotic pain meds, but opted for Motrin 800's instead. As I mentioned in this thread previously, you are probably going to have to endure at least a couple of weeks of surgical packing changes. In the beginning, these changes are quite painful. The doctor had me take a dose of Motrin a half hour before the dressing changes and that really helped with the pain control. It got easier as I began to heal.
I had 3 weeks of dressing changes before I was totally healed. If you do have an abscessed cyst, this is probably the road you are going to have to travel. I survived it and you will too. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #11

bridalwed HB User
another thought is that if it is not a cyst, it might be a Fistula....which would make it a really good idea to see an MD....to make sure, and get it cleared up.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 PM   #12

8360 HB User
Angry

Runningal:

Thanks for your reply. But before you had the surgery, did your doc run any tests first to rule in our rule out certain things? My doc didn't want to run any scans, tests or anything. He just wanted to cut it open to see what's in there.

This doesn't seem much sense to me. And I'm wondering how much he really knows about this stuff. Waht if he doesn't do the surgery properly?

I've done some medline searches (I'm a cancer biologist by trade) and have found that this might be a pilonidal cyst.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #13

8360 HB User
Smile

finally got the doc to authorize an ultrasound. here are the results:

the lump in my left buttock cheek acording to ultrasound:

- was not a cyst
- was not an abcess
- was not muscle
- was a heterogenous mass w/ increased blood flow; heterogeneous, therefore NOT lipoma

doc said not life-threatening, though he can't tell the make-up of it from ultrasound.

I'm doing accupuncture and it is reducing thge lump. it is still there but shrank longitudinally by about 50%. still a bit sore.

did a bit too hot epsom salt treatment and scorched the tissue a bit. now it hecka stings!

neosporin and aloe vera gel are helping lots.

would love to hear your comments!

Closed Thread