It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Thumbs down Was your sigmoidoscopy painful?

I went in for my sigmoidoscopy yesterday. The nurse and doctor said there would be no pain but only a little discomfort when they need to turn the gadget inside of me.
I don't know what they were talking about but it hurt like hell. It felt like the most horrible stomach cramp ever that lasted minutes but it was still so painful. I yelled it out to the doctor that it was incredibly painful but he said it will only last a while. And then it happened again and 3 times more. I hope my insides are not ruined because of that.

Today when I took a bowl movement I had a really horrible cramp that produces chills and nausea. Then I vomited up nothing. I've had nausea on and off today. But I took another dump today and no pain or chills. But still my GOD I had no idea the sigmoid would be so shockinly painful.

Would anybody else like to explain to me how their sigmoidocopy went!?

Also the results revealed nothing bad. I have healthy insides except for internal hemmoroids and swollen veins

Old 10-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
(female)

LynneJW HB User
Talking

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I had one done last month, and I'd have it again in a second if I had to. I'd rather do that then go to the dentist! It was a little uncomfortable when they had to turn the scope back on itself to look backwards, but that's it. I watched the whole thing and it was actually quite interesting. My insides looked great (I got to bring a photo home...should get it framed, ha ha) I question the usefulness of this exam in my case, and would have rather had the colonoscopy, just to be sure, since all my pain is at the far right hand side, and I have been having dark red bleeding. My iron levels are still low, even after having taken iron meds for the past 2 and a half months. I'm still waiting for an apointment for the small bowel xray...not looking forward to that AT ALL!
Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Do you have any idea why it would have been so painful for me? There was nothing wrong with me either. I had no sedative or anything. And I didn't get to see any pictures or anything not even a TV scan or nothing. I hope nothing bad happened to my system.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
Re: Was your sigmoidoscopy painful?

hi. i was searching for threads about this and i found yours. i had a flex sig today and mine was painful as well... to the point of me having to say "oww that hurts!" to the doctor. i had some mild inflamation of the bowel which might have been why mine was painful... but just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one that had a painful experience.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #5

suzi47cmt HB User

hey there guys and gals,
YUP my sigmoidoscopies are always painful too. Just like you guys, mine HURT, and I yelled out at the docs. I have a HIGH pain tolerance, so it had nothing to do with my pain threshold. I think the answer is simple. Everyone's anatomy is different, and some of us obviously feel this test more than others.

In my case, my first one revealed that I had very active inflammation in my intestines, and then was diagnosed with crohns disease. BUT... even when my bowel is NOT inflamed it STILL KILLS. I know people with PERFECTLY normal and healthy bowels that this procedure kills them too.

so..long story short, everyone is different.

Take care, and good continued health to you all.

Suzi

Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneJW
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I had one done last month, and I'd have it again in a second if I had to. I'd rather do that then go to the dentist! It was a little uncomfortable when they had to turn the scope back on itself to look backwards, but that's it. I watched the whole thing and it was actually quite interesting. My insides looked great (I got to bring a photo home...should get it framed, ha ha) I question the usefulness of this exam in my case, and would have rather had the colonoscopy, just to be sure, since all my pain is at the far right hand side, and I have been having dark red bleeding. My iron levels are still low, even after having taken iron meds for the past 2 and a half months. I'm still waiting for an apointment for the small bowel xray...not looking forward to that AT ALL!
Good luck to you!
--------------
Oh colonoscopy's are not THAT bad, better than barium sloshing through u..
ok, I lied, two of my three were painful..(i get to have them yearly, oh joy ) but the UC was active, sooo I suspect this is why I had additional issues... BUT AT LEAST THEY KNOCK U OUT.. the funny thing is the colonoscopy takes about 10-15 minutes, they do a biopsy.. SNIP SNIP... and it's all over, the preparation for all this, is worse than the procedure..

I refuse to drink barium or have it sloshed up your... uh.. well... uhh as an enema.... but hey after a few days, your BM returns from that ghostly white color to something fairly normal...u hope so anyway.. (OK, if I have to, I have to..but) Please do not let any of this stuff scare u.. It could be worse.. and no matter how bad off u might be, there is always someone worse off than u. have fun

Old 01-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Wannabe

So sorry to hear that you were in pain!! No sedation ?? how can they just do that to a person that is horrible. Im having a colonoscopy on feb 20 and i am sooo glad the GI doc said he was getting an anesthisiologist to put me completely under. I WILL BE SLEEPING! I hope you will feel better soon hon.
Please take care, and if they do it again, DEMAND sedation!
Jen

Old 01-23-2004, 12:51 AM   #8
(female)

stephney HB User

I also had sigmoidscopy that was very painful .I also have a high pain threshhold
I think it was possibly wind pain as air is introduced into the colon

Closed Thread