It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

sugar_star HB User
Blood in stool..?

Hi all. For the past month or so, I've noticed that after a bowel movement, there's a bit of light red blood on the toilet paper. Now this only appears about 1/3 of the time, and the water or stool never looks red at all. I'm 18 and have never had any colon problems before, and colon cancer or polyps don't run in my family. My mom has hemeroids (sp?) but I don't.

I tried to do a bit of research about this on my own, and I read that eating blueberries can actually color stool. I've been buying canned blueberries at the store and it seems like I never had this problem untill I started eating them. The weird thing is that I don't eat them all the time, so I doubt that is contributing to this problem.

I know I should tell my mom about this and see a doctor but I'm just really uncomfortable with that. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Are there any home remedies I could try before having to resort to seeing a doctor? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
(male)

janson HB User
Re: Blood in stool..?

There's no help in remedies when bleeding from bowel, especially if you don't know where the blood originates.
First test is hemacult - to test if the red colour belongs to blood. If this is confirmed, the source must be found. Proctoscopy or very likely colonoscopy is needed. Every even tiny bleeding from bowel is considered as urgent situation. Sources and reasons can be numerous (inflammation, polyp etc.); light red color of blood means that origine is distant from the gaster (stomach). Early diagnosis can have great effect on therapy. Sooner or later you'll have to resolve this problem. Bleeding can even temporarly stop but eventual underlaying disease can progress behind, so there's no reason to wait. My niece went through this when she was eight, my mother and father also and none of them described the procedure as specially unpleasant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

it sounds like an anal fissure. Get more fiber into your diet, and take a stool softener for a week or so. It should clear up.

If you still have problems a few weeks from now, go see your doctor. He will give you a prescription ointment.

There's nothing to worry about. Unless there is blood actually in the stool, this is a minor thing.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya,

This type of bleeding may be caused by haemorrhoids. These can develop because of low fibre in your diet, becoming constipated therefore straining when you go to the toilet, amongst other things. They can be removed/deflated by non-surgical procedures which are in most cases very effective.

I also agree with the other comments that the bleeding can be caused by polyps and so on, but as a matter of urgency you should really go and get it checked out. This type of thing is a very serious matter and shouldn't be left to chance that it might go away.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 12-27-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Yes, do get it checked out before you end up with a complicated situation. It will be better now than later.

Closed Thread