It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
(male)

chester26 HB User
Bowels never feel empty

Hey everybody, over the past couple weeks I've had a change in my bowel behavior. I should say that for about 6 or 7 months my bowels haven't behaved correctly. I would get very sick and have diarrhea for days on end, then it would stop and I'd have a period of 3 or 4 days where I didn't go at all, and then it would repeat. I noticed some foods that I ate would trigger the diarrhea to start, anything fried would kill me. If I stayed away from fried foods I'd have semi-solid BMs every 3 or 4 days. It would always take me 6-7 trips to the bathroom to empty myself out but when it was done I felt fine. Anyway, starting a couple weeks ago my bowels completely changed and I'm going pretty much every day, solid but small amounts. The problem is that I can never get it feeling as though I'm emptied out, so I'm walking around all the time feeling as though there's something else in there but it simply will not come out. It's come to the point where I'm just afraid of eating and I haven't really eaten anything in 4 days. The feeling is still there, though. I'm really unsure what to do here. I brought this up to my doctor when I was having the diarrhea and he suggested I may not have been digesting fat correctly. It's been very annoying for me to walk around like this for the past 2 weeks because I'm so used to the diarrhea that I'm constantly in fear of having to get to a bathroom for an emergency. Has anyone had anything like this or have any idea what might the problem?

Last edited by chester26; 12-27-2004 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: Bowels never feel empty

This sounds like IBS to me. You should probably get a colonsocopy to have it checked out. I am surprized your doctor has not suggested one already. The prep for the exam is not fun but very liveable. The proceedure itself is not bad at all since you are somewhat sedated.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
(male)

chester26 HB User

Is IBS dangerous? The doctor wanted me to bring in a stool sample but I haven't done that yet.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Well I guess it depeneds on what you mean by dangerous. There is a whole board on this site that discusses IBS.

Be sure to take that sample to the doctor. I know it is uncomfortable but it could contain the key to your problem. Just be sure to follow the doctors directions carefully.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 AM   #5
Inactive

MistiGrace HB User

Just a P.S. to Chester before you read my story: a registered nurse once told me that even if you don't intake any food, your body still forms stool. She's still a friend of mine, I trust her completely. She has no reason to lie about this medical stuff. So, eat, even if just a little amount. Stool forms and sits whether we like it or not. We just have to take the right measures to make its exit.

Ok, you guys, bear with me. I am new to this board, but not a stranger to this wonderful site.

I'm 28 now, but all of my life I've had colon problems. I blame it on not being properly potty trained and bad genes. Growing up, I would either poop in my pants, unaware that I had a Bm, and enemas were a constant guests in our home. Unwanted by me, of course. I had every test imaginable run, and I do mean EVERY test. In high school, I found out that my colon was too large for my body and they wanted to do surgery to take part of it out. At that time, all the kinks had not been worked out: there was a great chance if too much was taken out, I'd have diarhhea the rest of my life, if not enough, constipation for life. Not my words, the Dr's. I was living with chronic constipation up until that point, so i figured I was better off just taking the same meds, and trying stronger ones when they failed.
Over the next few years following, i ended up intaking daily a few tablespoons of Perdiem, and 8 ounces of GoLytely a day, of which the Dr informed me, I would have to be on until the day I die. I've had 2 dr's tell me I'm the worst case they've ever seen. Yeah, don't I feel special. I've been on every medicine that you could think of, but thanks to modern tech, I'm now only down to a few: Colchicine, Colace, and Zelnorm (In the last couple of years, I was told I was the poster child for IBS w/constipation---yeah, well that was news to me-I was diagnosed with that and nobody ever tod me). Occasionally, I'll take a Freelax when I'm feeling stuffy. When I forget to take my meds though, my stool forms into these hard, clay rock things which is virtually impossible to pass. It is like giving birth to a watermelon and yes I know, because I've been hospitalized for this twice. The mass (stool) will be so large that it presses up against my bladder, hindering me from urinating, which lands me into the ER where they catherize me-for some relief, and then admit me to get the junk out. I just have to stay on top of it every few days so it doesn't get to that point. It is not fun.
I've never been fat. I'm 5'ft and weigh 100lbs, but I have a small pooch underneath my belly button that will probably never go away, and I really think it's from all the duress I and the Dr's have put it under. On top of all that, I have to get regular colonoscopies done because my dad died of colon cancer back in '99 after having/being in remission from the cancer for 27 years.
Whew!! Bet ya'll would never think that story could come out of someone so young, huh? Well, it's the God's honest truth. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

So, yeah, no matter how much meds or laxatives, or anything I take, even if I had a BM several times a day, I would never feel fully emty. Why? Because it's a psychological thing. Up until now, my bowels were never fully emty, I would always feel as though I'm laying on rocks if I slept on my stomach. Even when my belly's soft and there's nothing there, I can still find something hard or lumpy. Maybe I'm just pressing on organs.

My prayers are with ya'll. I'm glad this site is here so we can support each other.

MG

Closed Thread