It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

Txslady HB User
Searching for Answers!

I am at a loss of what could be wrong. Here is my story, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

On December 4, 2004 I had an attack that sent me to the emergency room. at 8:30 a.m. I had breakfast that morning, bacon and pancakes with butter and syrup. At 11:00 a.m., after being at the computer for 30 minutes, I stood up and I had a slight pain in the upper middle abdomen, blood pressure shot up, heart rate went up and I turned blood red. A few minutes later I had a bowel movement but symtoms persisted so I went to the emergency room. After ekg's, x-ray, catscan of lungs, blood work, they said it was an allergic reaction. (did nothing different from other days, not sure about allergic reaction) During the following week I continued to get worse and was only able to eat crackers and drink gatorade.

On the morning of December 10, 2004, I had another attack. At this point I was thinking it was a bowel problem so called gastroenterologist and made an appointment for that afternoon. He suspected gall bladder and scheduled test for December 13, 2004. That evening I had fajitas for dinner at 7:00. At 11:00 that night I was deathly ill. This attack lasted until 3:00 p.m. the next day. Went back to gatorade and cracker diet.

On December 13, 2004 I had an ultrasound and Hidascan done.

On December 14, 2004 doctor called and said they forgot to do the ejection fraction on the Hida scan.

December 15, 2004 repeated hida scan.

December 17, 2004 went back to doctor for follow up and he told me my gall bladder was fine. He then scheduled a EGD and colonoscopy for December 18, 2004.

On December 18, 2004 the doctor found the following problems: EGD - Gastric Ulcer, Duodenal Ulcer, Gastritis, Duodenitis, Hiatal Hernia, suspected H Pylori --- Colonoscopy - Polyps, diverticulosis, bile induced diarrhea, massive amounts of acid, spastic colon. He put me on protonix once a day, Librax three times a day, LoCholest once a day.

On December 28, 2004 all biopsies came back normal and no H Pylori present.

The medications have stopped the symptoms but I have not found the cause. However On December 24, 2004 at 9:00 pm I had a 1 inch square of fudge. At 12:30 a.m. I had another attack. Heart starts racing and I turn red and blood pressure increases dramatically.

I have no problems eating any food, except it appears that dairy is triggering the attacks when it hits the colon. 1st attack I had butter, 2nd attack I had cheese, 3rd attack I had fudge that contained butter and evaporated milk and chocolate.

I have never had indigestion, heartburn, gas, or anything else. These attacks only affect the colon, blood pressure, heart rate, and I turned blood red.

I have a follow up appointment on January 13, 2005 and I intend to lay the law out to this doctor. I don't want to spend the rest of my life on symptom drugs I want the problem corrected.

It would be greatly appreciated and helpful if I could figure this out. The symptoms don't fit lactose intolerance of allergy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

JenniferB123 HB User
Re: Searching for Answers!

So sorry you had to go through all of this. I'm not a doctor but maybe your
lactose intolerant. You know people can go through their whole life and not be allergic to certain foods and then one day bam they are. For years my aunt ate eggs, got the flu shot etc. then one year had a major reaction to the flu shot and now can't eat any eggs.

Maybe you should try cutting out dairy from your diet and see if that helps.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

noinwi HB User

Txslady,
I'm sorry you're going through this, but you may never find a timely answer. I have had "gut" pains for 20+ years, and after seeing a number of docs,ultrasounds and a HIDA scan, it's comming down to Spastic Colon and IBS. I started having "attacks" in the gallbladder area in the early '80s and it was thought to be just that, but no ultrasound has ever showed stones. It could happen once a year or 3 times in a month. One pattern I found was eating ANYTHING after fasting for several hours, having a late breakfast for example, would trigger it, and if I didn't catch it with antispasmodics soon enough, it would last for up to 12 hours. Excruciating! Also taking metamucil(as i was told to do frequently) would trigger it. Afterward, the area would be tender to touch for days.I was told it was irritable bowel/spastic colon, but got no details.Later was told billiary dyskinesia(sp?), possible sphincter of oddii disorder. I finally believe now the spastic colon diagnosis, as I have learned to pay more attention to what's actually happening. When the attack is in my upper right abdomen, if I can relax(with help from meds), I can actually feel the spasms. I still don't know exactly what is contracting(gallbladder, bile duct?). I also have attacks in the upper middle abdomen, just under the sternum, that wake me out of sleep. No warning, just severe stabbing pain, that can bring me to my knees for about 5 minutes, if I let it happen. My heart races and I sweat profusely. I have learned to keep a thermal cup of water next to the bed and if I sit up quickly and drink several gulps, it will interrupt the attack. I used to run to the kitchen and gulp down milk, but I now think that any cold liquid will stop the attack. This hardly ever happens when I'm awake, isn't an "upset stomach",and doesn't seem to be "gas attacks", as I don't belch or anything after drinking the water, the pain just slowly subsides. It doesn't happen every night, but can happen 1-3 times in a night. Lastly, I've started having rectal spasms, also in the middle of the night(I don't get much sleep!). This can last up to 15 minutes or so. Stabbing pain(contraction?) that wakes me up, deep in the rectum(literal pain in the a**). There's not a lot I can do in this situation, just ride it out(sitting on a heating pad helped). Luckily, it doesn't happen very often.Scared the heck out of me the first time, thought I was having an aneurism!
Anyway, I'm sorry this is so lengthy, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your frustration. It seems that the doctors have to go through the process of elimination to figure things out, and you may just have to treat the symptoms, while figuring out yourself through trial and error how to prevent or cut back on your attacks.
I've had FMS for 20 years and this may relate to my IBS. I don't really watch what I eat(attacks didn't care if food was healthy or not), have hemmoroids,I'm overweight, menopausal, and have ADD. But still, over time I've noticed that certain things help. I don't have attacks when using my ADD stimulants regularly(there is a "mind-gut" connection), I can eat spicy foods, but I can't take cayenne supplements(will trigger attack), smaller more frequent meals work better for me, certain pain medications trigger the night time spasms, flaxmeal is a better fiber for me than psyllium, and so on.
Try to pay attention (as it seems you already do)to what is happening with your attacks(spasms or no,duration,etc.), write it down, give it to the docs. They're probably as frustrated as you. Get tested for allergies. You don't mention your age but estrogen levels affect intestinal motility(HRT can slow it down).
I hope I have given at least a little helpful info and not just bored you to death. I'm glad you can at least get some symptom relief with meds. Good luck to you.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Txslady HB User

Well it seems only dairy of any kind trigure these attacks. It can be butter, milk, cheese or even items containing dairy, i.e. butter flavored crackers, etc.

I am 34. I had a complete hysterectomy at 26. I currently take natural hormone replacement twice daily (Bi-Est, Testosterone, Progesterone). Up until December 4, 2004 I was also taking Armour thyroid, to increase blood pressure, and cortisol because of adrenal fatigue. I have stopped those as I do not need my blood pressure higher at this point.

I just can't figure out why on December 3, 2004 for dinner I had a sandwich with cheese and there was no problem. But on December 4, 2004 for breakfast I had butter and the attack followed. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life on symptom medication. you only have symptoms when there is a problem and I hope a doctor can find the problem and fix it which would eliminate the symptoms. As you can see from above I don't like man made drugs I prefer natural. I have gone to the health food store and purchased Naturade Stomach formula, it contains aloe vera. I hope this will help. I have taken 1 dose each day for 2 days now and it has helped with the bloating. I will have to wait and see if it will work.

As for the symptom medicines I will continue them. For te 2 weeks I had no treatment it took my life away. It took everything I had to get out of bed each day. I have always been a very active healthy person. I am not over weight and I eat right. My hubby is over weight and out of shape and is healthy. Go figure!

In about a month I am going to try taking lactaid and eating a small amount of dairy and see what happens. This is just to test and see if it is lactose intolerance. I have read every label and none of them list lactose as an ingredient.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
(female)

Txslady HB User

Forgot to mention that my normal blood pressure is 86/54 and 63 heart rate. Yes I function fine at these levels.

When the attacks occur my blood pressure will go some where around 155/95 with a heart rate of 120.

I have been monintoring my blood pressure and it is staying around 110/70 and heart rate of 75. I know my body is sick based off the blood pressure.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Did any of the tests you had on 12/18 that revealed you have hiatal hernia, gastritiis, ulcer but not caused by H.pylori, inflammation of the dudenum, spastic colon, diverticulars, bile induced diarrhea and too much stomach acid--- all of these did not go away or did I miss something?? You Still got all these problems --Right???

If you do then trapped gas when eating anything can cause your hernia to go into spasms and increase your heart rate and BP.
Lack of magnesium in your diet can cause muscle spasms anywhere in your body.
A very good homeopathic remedy to help when you have attacks like you describe is Magnesia Phos-- taken as needed -- it is very good for cramping and spasms.

An irritated vagus nerve can also cause problems. B/P of 86/54 p63 is too low without being on a medication of some type??

15 to 20% of ulcers are not caused by H.pylori bacteria. THey are caused by other things.

All of these problems don't come on over night??
Protonix is a time released PPI and heals ulcers, and gastritis in about 8 weeks or so caused by too much stomach acids. That is how it is treated-- based on your endoscopic exam test results. Hiatal hernias don't go away!!!

God Bless ---Harry

Old 12-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
(female)

Txslady HB User

After being placed on protonix, lebrix, and LoCholest the symptoms for the most part are gone. However the increased blood pressure and heart rate remain (110/70 75). If I eat any dairy however they really increase and I am in severe pain while shaking for hours.

Yes I understand my normal BP is too low. I was taking Armour thyroid medication to increase it. With the medication my BP would be 95/65 73. The next test they want is for the adrenal glands (I do not produce enough cortisol) and to find out why the BP is so low. This has been normal for me all my life, I am not concerned with those numbers.

The biopsy for H Pylori came back negative. I am still searching for the cause of all these problems. I was absolutely healthy with no problems at 11:00 a.m. on 12-4-04. At 11:05 I was deathly ill and had to have my daughter take me to emergency room.

The hiatal hernia measured 37-38 cm. The doctor told me to go back on Cortisol and Armour. I have not done so as of yet because they increase the bp and hr even more when I have an attack. Since my numbers are normal now I see no since in taking them. When I am healed and the numbers go back down then I will get back on them.

I have started taking Aloe Vera everyday to help heal everything.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
(female)

noinwi HB User

It seems that the dairy products you're consuming all have fat.Have you done an elimination diet for dairy? I know it's difficult to do since milk products are put into almost everything. That way you'll know whether it's the lactose or fat that is your trigger.There are some pretty severe conditions that can be managed through diet. Have you tried digestive enzymes? You can get them otc(ok),from a health food store(better), or from a naturopathic doc(best). These will help with many foods in addition to dairy products. It sounds like allergy testing might be a good idea, though, if you suspect dairy is the culprit.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
(female)

Dee77 HB User

Estrogen can slow down digestion? I am on bi-est. It dont seem to be any worse than it was before I started it.

Closed Thread