It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #1

saravamp HB User
Question atonic colon v. colonic inertia?

Can someone tell me the difference between an atonic colon and colonic inertia--these are the definitions I found on the web.....
1. Colonic inertia: nerves and/or muscles of the colon do not work normally

2. Atonic colon: lack of normal muscle tone or strength in the colon

My GI told me I had an atonic colon, and now after having a resection with no improvement my colon surgeon wants to do marker study for slow-transit???? I had the marker study already, she just wants to do another one to make sure. So my question is are two colon conditions the same?

Thanks!
Sara

Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: atonic colon v. colonic inertia?

I take the first to be nerve damage. The second to be weak muscles. The second can probably be strengthened with exercise, and diet. If there is nerve damage that is not much that can be done about that.

I know some people think that colonic irrigations are not good. But when I was having problems, they really seemed to help me. A good theapist can work with you to "tone" an atonic colon. It might be worth a try and might keep you from yet an other surgery. Personally I would seek to avoid surgery if you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #3

saravamp HB User

Thanks for the reply Mr. Owl. I had a sigmoid resection in Nov. but my colon is not cooperating any more than before the surgery. So the surgeon is talking about a total colectomy.......since I am fairly young (32) and don't want to be on strong meds for the rest of my life and Fiber just seems to make me feel worse.
Do You think that a colonic irrigation therapist or a biofeedback therapist could help me get my colon into shape? And also can you tell me why you would avoid surgery?
Thanks again--I really appreciate your help!
Sara

Old 01-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Well, first off I would always avoid surgery if at all possible. I like living with all my body parts, especially major ones like a colon. If I were 32 I would not want to live the rest of my life with a colostomy bag. If it were me I would rather have to take an enema every day. Strong oral medications are not the only option and surgery is not a cure-all. For me it is always the last option.

What about your exercise plan? What is water intake each day? (Just water, not soft drinks and coffee, etc.)

Yes, I think a colonic irrigation therapist MAY be able to help. In my opinion it is worth a try and most likely will not make anything worse. Years ago one really helped me.

Closed Thread