It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
(male)

steerpike HB User
Accuracy of Barium-Enemas.

Does anyone know how accurate a Barium Enema is for detecting IBD, or the beginnings of IBD? Is it possible to miss something small?

Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
(male)

janson HB User
Re: Accuracy of Barium-Enemas.

Well,yes. Barrium reveals physical changes (ulcers, excessive, thickened mucosa) but not inflammation itself. Colonoscopy is much more accurate.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-20-2005 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Quote not needed--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I went through the vile procedure and it didn't detect my UC of severe inflammation and bleeding. Finally my doctor sent me to a GI and through the process of elimination and visual through sigmoidoscopy confirmed it. I had the colonoscopy a month later for biopsies and proper visual investigation.

My opinion.....it was definitely a waste of time. For Crohn's I would say it might detect in later stages, but not in early stages in the colon. It all seems pointless if IBD is suspected because a colonoscopy would have to be done anyway.

The cleanout can exacerbate inflammation and cause undue distress.....I'd take the colonoscopy anyday, and I've had 6 already.

As far as accuracy for IBD?......not even close!!

quincy

Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

When I had a barium enema it didn't show I had crohns or anything wrong with my bowel. A colonoscopy is what finally found it. I agree with Quincy, it does seem pointless. I know if they ever suggest another one to me I will decline it.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #5

FireWoman HB User

I agree with Quincy and Twisten. I had the Barium Enema and it showed nothing. At that point, my doctor said "well, I guess we should go ahead and do a colonoscopy because it will show what a barium enema would show and then some." I was thinking, well then why in the heck didn't I just get the colonoscopy in the first place. What a waste of time AND the procedure WAS vile. I hated it. Like Quincy, I would take a colonoscopy any day. At least with a colonoscopy, it's painless AND they give you great meds

Old 01-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

doesn't it seem like they just made too much of that stuff and are just so desperate to to use it up?

It's not that a barium enema doesn't have its place....but as a first invasive procedure dealing with the bowel, it's #1 as being the most undignified!!!

This is one time my misery loves company....100%!!

At least there are options...imagine if that was the only one??

quincy

Old 01-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #7

FireWoman HB User

Ya, it's bizarre. I mean, you would think they would perform a colonoscopy first, since it shows everything a barium would and then some. Makes no sense to me. And undignified...DEFINITELY!! I was so physically miserable because I was suffering from SEVERE IBS-like symptoms at that time, painful cramping, horrible diarrhea the works. And here I am feeling like crud, laying on a table with the tech doing god knows what in a place that was already feeling pretty, well, crappy. Not my finest hour

Closed Thread