It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Stool softeners and fiber

I've been taking Colace (stool softener) a couple times a day, along with a glass of Citrucel, to help recover from 2 fissures I had.

But I've noticed that I now have HUGE amounts of gas and intestinal rumbling from hell. It goes on all day long, and I find my self popping gas-ex pills to deal with it. It isn't painful, just annoying. Almost like a "knocking on the door feeling", and a mild bloating.

could this be from the Colace? The Citrucel? I didn't have this problem before using this stuff. I've been taking Colace for over 4 months now.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #2

FireWoman HB User
Re: Stool softeners and fiber

It's so funny that you mentioned this because I was just recently going through the same thing. I started taking citrucel and, of course, at first it caused a bit of gas and bloating. I notied that the 1 tablespoon of Citrucel was not enough so I started taking 1-2 100mg pills of colace a day. Wow, the combo of citrucel AND the colace killed my stomach. Not only was I extremely bloated and gassy, but I was really crampy as well. I stopped the stool softners and began upping my citrucel by 1 teaspoon. I am now on 1 tablespoon of citrucel in the afternoon and 2 tsp at night. This is proving to be much more tolerable. Still a little gassy and bloated though, but not like when I combined the citrucel with the colace. Yikes!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I think I'm going to ditch the colace and citrucel, and try and modify my diet enough to keep things soft and regular.

Did you have to take stool softener for fissures? The two I've had, have made my life misearable, even after surgery.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #4

FireWoman HB User

I am soo sorry you are so miserable. I have been keeping up with your posts. I have had to go on fiber therapy for hemorrhoids. I am trying to stay away from the surgery as long as I can. Citrucel has worked wonders though. Unfortuantely, I eat more fiber than anyone on this planet and it's still not enough to make me go. I have to supplement with citrucel.

Good luck Chiggins, and again, I am so sorry you are still feeling pain. I know how you feel. Anal pain is the worst and it really takes over your life.

Firewoman

Closed Thread