It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
(male)

red_hrt HB User
Having your first Barium Enima? Read here for info

Good morning/afternoon folks.

I just came back from my first Barium Enima and having known little of what this procedure is, I was taken by surprise. I thought writing this would really help people who were in my position understand what happens during a barium enima. So here goes.

After your doctor tells you you are going to have this procedure, they give you a sheet of paper to follow...you must do as it instructs. Mine, told me I need to buy one bottle of phosphate solution (not expensive) and 3 Bisacodyl tablets (pharmacy just gave me these).
Preperation starts with the breakfast the day before the exam. For the three meals of the day you are restricted to certain things for your meals...none of which contain much substance. You can have clear jello, tea or coffee (no milk), clear juice like apple or orange (no pulp) and soup (brouillon or consomme). It was tough doing this, you want to eat but have to stick to this diet. Just before supper (30 mins-60 mins before) they tell you to drink the phosphate solution. Word to the wise, drink it with apple juice to drown the taste, it tastes horrible. Didn't know what to expect when I took this, but in about 35 mins, just in the middle of my big soup dinner I found out what it does. Endless trips to the bathroom. Okay to be honest, I must know be a little gross. By 9pm, maybe even a little earlier, it was just liquid coming out. I probably went to the bathroom about 50 times throughout the night, it really does clear out your system. At 10pm, I was to take the 3 tablets, I spoke of earlier. These are easy to take.

Day of the Barium Enima arrives. I woke in the morning and again had to go to the bathroom. Woke up around 8:00am, and the procedure was at 9:30. I must have went to the bathroom another 10 times during that timeframe as my system finished clearing itself out. If I do it again, I will get up earlier so I do not worry my system is done flushing itself...but in the end I was fine.

Barium enima. So I go to the place where my procedure is done, quite hungry I might add and dry too (you can't drinmk or eat anything after midnight). I found a losenger helped with the dryness. They told me to place the robe on, and I was rather quickly on this table with alot of equipment on it. The nurse I had was great, I told her I was scared, and she just toild me to relax...that the prep the day before is actually worse than this. The nurse placed me on my side and placed a lubed small tube in my rectum. Very unpleasant...you have to relax as it is being done...hurts less...shouldn't say hurt cause it really didn't, it makes it less uncomfortable. The tube makes you feel like you have to go to the bathroom but you really don't. Once the tube is in there, the nurse keeps explaining what she is doing as she is doing it..no surprises. They open a small balloon at the end of the tube inside you, it just keeps it in there as you move around. The doctor comes in and tells you to move this way, move that way...all the while with this tube in your butt. He takes xrays and more xrays and then he left. You are toild to stop breathing at several points. The nurse continues with a few more after the doctor leaves. Now comes removal of the tube....she tells you to tighten up to keep the fluid in there and removes it....only lasts a few seconds removing it....not too bad. I asked her when she was going to put the barium in there...she said it was done right when it was inserted at the beginning and laughed...I didn't feel it go in.
So I go to the bathroom after I am done....quite embarrassing, the walls are not soundprrof, and your system is telling you it has to go to get the barium out of your system. Since they pump quite a bit of air into you during the procedure, you also have a lot of gas. I went once in this room and got dressed, I just couldn't go more in that room. Raced to my car...drove about 5 minutes home and spent the next 5 minutes in the bathroom again...ahhhhhh! I probably went about 3 more times as all the barium left my system.

It is now the night of my procedure, I feel fine, butt feels a little awkward, but I survived my barium enima as I am sure you will to.

Good luck,

A Friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
(male)

goldendog HB User
Question Re: Having your first Barium Enima? Read here for info

Does not sound to bad. I go in tomorrow for the same thing.
Most of the posts I have read say the test is pretty bogus for finding anything .
Did they find anything with the test ?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
Re: Having your first Barium Enima? Read here for info

they found a polyp in mine....the worst part was the balloon expanding for me....OUCH

once that was done, it just felt wierd..didn't hurt.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
(male)

red_hrt HB User
Re: Having your first Barium Enima? Read here for info

Hi Golden, my pre booked next appt with my Doctor is Feb 8, so I won't know until then. You are right though, it isn't all that bad. Worst part of the whole thing is the countless trips to the bathroom. Once you take that horrible tasting bottle of phosphate solution, give it about 30 min's and you will know what I mean. Get up early the morning of your test....this way you can be sure your system is done clearing itself out and you won't have any worries going into the test. Take a lozenger, it really does help with the dryness the day of the test. The worst thing of the actual procedure is probably the moving around while the doctor does their tests....the tube makes it real awkward shifting around. I have read posts in here on this.....it is not all that bad. I really hope things go well for you, good luck !

Closed Thread