It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Inactive

Josie115 HB User
Pain 2 days after colonoscopy-Help?

I had a colonoscopy on Thursday morning. It was not one of my best experiences with it. Usually, the procedure is not bad but I think the doc must have been rushing and it was pretty painful. My question is this: is it normal to have a very achey, painful feeling afterwards? It is on my left side, just under my rib cage. I've had this pain off and on for about a year. My internal doc thought it was a muscle spasm. I did'nt think it was but could never find a cause. It's been fine lately, but now it's back and it's bad.

What should I expect in terms of after pain? I did not have this after the previous colonoscopy. they did remove 4 polyps and I've had that done before as well with no pain afterwards. Have had some chills, no fever and no bleeding. Have had bowel movements which were normal. Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Pain 2 days after colonoscopy-Help?

As you know it's not normal to have pain after a colon exam. I have had 9 w/o any pain.
The only thing that come to mind is muscle spasms or cramping. The best thing that I have ever found is a Homeopathic remedy -- Magnsia Phos. that you can buy at health food stores!!
Take it as needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

sierra3 HB User

I had a colonoscopy the day after you did. I had pain in the same spot. It lasted 26 hours and is gone now. You said you've had it for a year - I've had it for decades, but never has it lasted 26 hours! Because this pain has been getting worse over the last year, plus bloating and irregular bowel habits, my husband and son insisted I see a doctor. The doctor scheduled me for blood work which came back normal except for slightly elevated pancreatic enzymes, an ultrasound of the right upper quadrant (gallbladder and pancreas) which also was normal, and the colonoscopy which was normal. My last step is the endoscopy in a week.

If I find out anything from the endoscopy I will let you know, and if you find out anything, can you post it here?

Thanks very much and good luck.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

sivad HB User

Hi Josie,
I also had my colonoscopy on Thursday morning. Today I feel very tired, but have no actual pain. Yesterday and Friday, my abdomen felt very sore, almost like I had done 100 set ups. I am sorry, but it seems to me you may have had a "rush" job. Maybe too many bumps and pushes inside the colon. Mind you, it's just my opinion. Of course, should you develop fever you know you should get assistance. Keep up posted, take it easy until you feel better, that is what I am doing.
Kind Regards, Sivad

Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

Thanks all... I agree the doc seemed to want to hurry up and move on and I am pretty mad about it actually. It doesn't have to be that way. He gave me enough drugs (he said) to have knocked me out but it didn't do a thing. The soreness is not so bad today (Monday) but I have to say, I'm still tired and my gut still feels sore all over. I will keep you posted on the results. I'm some what concerned because I heard the doc say "oh my" at one point. 4 polyps to remove for biopsy.. maybe that's what got him.. he had to actually do something??? who knows...anyway, sorry anyone else ended up sore and it's always nice to know you have company..it's even better when they find something that can be easily fixed and end the problems once and for all. Good luck on the endoscopy.. hope it goes smoothly!!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

Had my colonoscopy on MOnday (2/7)...how long did it take you guys to go to the bathroom? Haven't gone since Monday........

Old 02-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
(female)

sivad HB User

Boxgirl,
I had mine a week ago today. On day two after, I took a 1/2 dose of Milk of Mag. and that got me going and I am now ok and regular again. I get the results of my biopsy tomorrow morning. I think it will be ok, but there is still that nagging little worry....

Old 02-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
(female)

meggsters HB User

I had a colonoscopy last Wednesday (the 2nd), and while I don't remember a thing from the procedure, my lower stomach, very low, right about my pelvis, was sore until Tuesday, first on both sides from Wed to Sat and then just on my left side from Sun to Tues. It was just a dull annoying pain, the only way it felt better was to sit with my left leg pulled up towards my body with my knee bent (not sure if that made any sense) Just thought I'd share. I'm not sure if this is the same kind of pain you have.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

If you have not gone by now try a little laxitive to get you started. The prep. cleans out a lot of the friendly bacteria that you need to help process your food. It will come back in time, but you may need to "jump start" things. I would suggest you take lots of acidolpholus.

I will do both of these things after my next one.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

thank you....any particular kind? never actually took thsese but have heard alot about them...know i can buy them in my CVs but am clueless as to what's the right kind......

Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

The acidolphus can be any generic. The mild laxitive, could be the milk of magnesia. Again any generic. You could also you a generic seneca based laxitive. You do not want to use seneca too often. It can make your colon dark in color instead of a light pink.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #12
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

thanks. i'll look into these.

Closed Thread