It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #1

Hewie HB User
Colonscopy showed tortuous colon - others with this?

I was told I have a very long, very tortuous colon after recent colonoscopy. I looked this up and pics did NOT look good... I've been unable to have a BM w/o lax of some kind for over a year. (no matter what I eat or drink including large glasses of prune juice - yecky...=( But have had 3 major surgeries including an abdominal hysterectomy which resulted in an 8 1/4" incision so probably have adhesions, laproscopic gallbladder removal, and rectosele/small amt of bowel herniation repair... causing some of this... I think..???

Anyone have experience with this? or partial colon resection? (read somewhere that it is used sometimes) If you do have this.. did your's get worse over time? and if so, what was done to help it? I have been put on lots of stuff to help - softeners, bulk builders, etc... but nothing has helped. And I simply cannot drink that Miralax stuff every day - it makes me gag and very nauseated and I am thin and have already lost a lot of weight. This partial bowel resection looked like a possibility if it gets too bad... ???

hewie

Old 02-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #2

FireWoman HB User
Re: Colonscopy showed tortuous colon - others with this?

I was told this as well after my colonoscopy and lower GI. Both doctor's were shocked at how long and twisty it was. I also have problems with constipation which makes my life hell.

I feel for you!

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

DaysGirl HB User

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy and was told I have a tortuous colon with areas of extrinsic compression suspicious for adhesions. I'm scheduled to have a laparoscopy Tuesday morning. I've been having pelvic pains for a week and a half and at times they feel like contractions. A few days ago I took 2 laxatives (which I have been doing for atleast 1 1/2 years) and the next day I had blood in my stool. That was not normal for me who has been taking these for over a year. That worried me. After that, I called and scheduled a OB/GYN appt for Wednesday. He did a pap smear and then told me to see a GI and I did on Thursday and then he scheduled a colonoscopy on Friday. The GI scheduled a CT-Scan that Thursday just to rule out appendix. CT-Scan showed alot of stool that's unable to pass.

Reason why I'm having a laparoscopy done - I have a history of endometriosis. I have had surgery for it twice. I was 90% sure I had that before the Colonoscopy and I was right! So, I'm having that removed on Tuesday. If it comes back again, I just might have a partial hysterectomy. I don't mind cause I already have my tubes tide. 4 times is way too many times to be going thru endometriosis.

Just have to say the colonoscopy was great! I didn't feel or hear a single thing! Usually with a laparoscopy I can hear the doctor's, well not this time. Boy did I take a great nap! I would be feeling great after it if my stomach wasn't in so much pain. The night before the colonoscopy was torture! GEEZ! Hope I don't have to experience that again.

I LOVE being a woman!!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

i dont have a tortuous colon, dont know what it is actually, but am told i do have a mega colon. i have also had several surgeries for endometriosis, appendicitis, ovary removal, then a total hysterectomy. A few years ago i had another laparoscopy to remove adhesions, and tomorrow i go in to see the surgeon to set up another surgery date for adhesions as well. i also need something to go every single day. Juice, colon cleansers, supposotories, fiber, you name it, have also been on the miralax but could not tolerate it, made me sick to my stomach. I hope your surgery went well, and that you are resting comfortably and that they were able to remove all the adhesions, of course this type of surgery is also exploratory to see if they can find anything else visabaly wrong. i have adhesions (severe pain) on both sides, so dont know how theyll go in this time, last time it was on the right side only and thats where they went in thru. maybe if they go in right under the navel so they can scope both sides, geee dont know, have to ask him tomorrow, but bless your heart hon, i totally understand what youre going thru and you have my prayers. hang in there hon, things will slowly improve each day.
Jen

Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Kato HB UserKato HB User
Angry Re: Colonscopy showed tortuous colon - others with this?

I have been constipated for the past few months, so my GI ordered a colonscopy. I was also told I have long and tortuous colon. Other than that, the doctor can't say why I was constipated. I was told to use Miralax daily, if it works, I might have to take it for rest of my life. That's doesn't seem right, has anyone else been told that? Anyway, the Miralax seem to be working so far.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
(female)

Debbieg65 HB User
Wink Re: Colonscopy showed tortuous colon - others with this?

Eight years ago I had a colon resection due to a ruptured colon with peritonitis from undiagnosed diverticulosis. For eight years I have had no negative symptoms from this. I recently received the report from a colonoscopy performed in September and found that I had a tortuous colon from adhesions. In those eight years I have never missed a day having a bowel movement even though I have been constantly traveling all over the world on vacation and working as a flight attendant. I have the cereal Fiber One to thank. It can be purchased in any grocery store and I eat a half cup with skim milk and fruit every morning. I carry it with me when I travel, and if I can't get milk and fruit I mix it with yogurt. I also have no hemmhorroid attacks.This may not work forever, but so far so good, and its worth a try for you. Be sure you measure it, aand only eat a half cup. It expands in milk.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Kato HB UserKato HB User

I have increased my fiber, fruit, and water intake but did not help. As soon as I stop taking Miralax, in about 2 days, my constipation would return. Don't know what else to try. The dr had no explanation on this either.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

Badluckgal HB User

I too have a torturous colon.... Check out my recent posts on Slow Transit Consitpation and Colectomy inder digetive disorders and bowel disorders. I wonder if the adhesions are causing all these problems....
The doc I saw says she can remove my large intestines......yikes!

Closed Thread