It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #1

usmcsgtbob HB User
miralax Question, has anyone taken this?

After battling constipation for over 3 1/2 weeks now and trying everything...i.e. Ex-Lax, mineral oil, fibercon drink, suppositories, the Dr. wrote me a prescription for Miralax and said to me this will work.. Has anyone taken this can tell me about the side effects...

She told me to take and mix a scoup of power to water and drink the glass.....then mix up another in 1/2 hour and drink another and if needed in 1 hour another.. she said this will work .. she said this is a stool softoner.. and will empty the bowels until nothing but diareha.. I had an ultrasound done today (why not sure) as it doesnt show the bowels... the ultrasound tech said was to examine the other organs such as kidneys, gall bladder, stomach ect.. but doesnt show the stool inide the bowels.. or obstructions....

The Dr. said my intenstion sounds normal after listening to it.. and doesnt think no blockages.. just severaly constipated... She said this Maralax will work.. and it is not a stimulant laxative and wont cause cramps..

Anyone taken this , how much have you taken ?? does this sound right to take so much.. she Dr. told me it can be taken daily if needed.. does it cause cramps?, bloating, gas?? how long before something happens.. willthe stool pass easily.... soft????? now I have developed a nice set of Hemoroids from all the crunting and pushing...the last many days.. Id like to hear some opinions from a few of you before I take this stuff tonight..

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

Brendap HB User
Re: miralax Question, has anyone taken this?

I have been on Miralax (or the generic version Glycolax) for exactly 1 year this month. I take a dose (use the cap as a measure) mixed with water every day. It has changed my life so much for the better.

I took Questran for over 10 years for high cholesterol. Questran is noted for causing constipation. Well - long story short, once I went off Questran my bowels were so messed up I could never go. Never had the urge. I was so constipated it was horrible. This went on for years AFTER I stopped Questran -- I did everything. The more fiber I consumed the worse I got. Metamusil really messed me up further.

Finally my PCP put me on Miralax (why he waited so long I don't know) I started out with one measuring cap mixed with water per day. After about the fourth day I was starting to get relief -- much softer stool. The Dr. said I could take it every day -- forever -- no problem.

I scheduled for a colonoscopy to make sure that years of constipation did not leave me with something horrible in my intestines. The colonoscopy was fine - no problems. The Gastrologist confirmed that I had a motility problem and should take Miralax every day forever or until my bowels returned to normal on their own, which I doubt will happen.

I am happy with Miralax/Glycolax and will not hesitate to take it. I still take one capful mixed with water per day. I found that taking it in the afternoons works best for me. I have no gas or bloating (but I am probably used to it by now).

Good luck.
Brenda

Closed Thread