It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
(male)

kdoss3 HB User
Mineral oil vs. Constipation.

Hello everyone... Sorry for the long thread... but this may be helpful. The following information has ben cut and pasted from a couple of web sites with regards to Mineral oil. It reads as follows:

Mineral oil is a common ingredient in many household products. It is found in lotions, soaps, cosmetics and motor oil. Mineral oil is a clear liquid oil with no scent and will not spoil. It is produced as a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil. Mineral oil is the leftover liquid, and because it is abundant, it is very inexpensive. In fact, it is more expensive to dispose of mineral oil than to purchase it.

Mineral oil is the main ingredient in many baby care items as well. Baby Oil, Vaseline® (petroleum jelly), baby wash liquid soap and baby lotions all contain mineral oil as a key ingredient. As mentioned above, manufacturers can buy it very inexpensively and it will not spoil.

The problem is that mineral oil is foreign to the human body and has many harmful effects, especially on infants. Mineral oil acts as a thin plastic layer on the skin. It is difficult to absorb and clogs the pores, which slows the skin's ability to eliminate toxins. Remember, the skin is the body's largest organ and plays an important role in maintaining overall health!

Once the oil is absorbed, it is broken down by the liver. But because it is an unnatural product, the liver must work extra hard to remove it from the body. And once the oil is present in the intestinal tract, it will absorb all of the fat-soluble vitamins found there. It is essentially stealing important vitamins from the body, which the body will not be able to replace. This can eventually lead to nutritional deficiencies. Studies have also shown forms of pneumonia caused by mineral oil decreasing lung function, known as lipoid pneumonia. Because of these dangers, the medical community has condemned the use of mineral oil taken orally or as in ingredient in medications.

Description
Mineral oil is a lubricant laxative that is taken by mouth. It encourages bowel movements by coating the bowel and the stool with a waterproof film that helps to retain moisture in the stool.

Proper Usage
Laxatives are to be used to provide short-term relief only, unless otherwise directed by the nurse or physician who is helping you to manage your bowel symptoms. A regimen that includes a healthy diet containing roughage (whole grain breads and cereals, bran, fruit, and green, leafy vegetables), six to eight full glasses of liquids each day, and some form of daily exercise is most important in stimulating healthy bowel function.

If your physician has recommended this type of laxative for management of constipation, follow his or her recommendations for its use. If you are treating yourself for constipation, follow the directions on the package insert. Mineral oil is usually taken at bedtime because it takes six to eight hours to produce results. Be sure to consult your physician if you experience problems or do not get relief within a week.

Mineral oil should not be taken within two hours of mealtime because the mineral oil may interfere with food digestion and the absorption of important nutrients.

Mineral oil should not be taken within two hours of taking a stool softener (see Docusate) because the stool softener may increase the amount of mineral oil that is absorbed by the body.

Precautions
Do not take any type of laxative if you have signs of appendicitis or inflamed bowel (e.g., stomach or lower abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, soreness, nausea, or vomiting). Check with your physician as soon as possible.

Do not take any laxative for more than one week unless you have been told to do so by your physician. Many people tend to overuse laxative products, which often leads to dependence on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement. Discuss the use of laxatives with your health care professional in order to ensure that the laxative is used effectively as part of a comprehensive, healthy bowel management regimen.

Mineral oil should not be used very often or for long periods of time. Its gradual build-up in body tissues can cause problems, and may interfere with the body's absorption of important nutrients and vitamins A, D, E, and K.

Do not take any laxative within two hours of taking another medication because the desired effectiveness of the other medication may be reduced.

Mineral oil should not be used during pregnancy because it may interfere with absorption of nutrients in the mother and, if used for prolonged periods, cause severe bleeding in the newborn infant.

Be sure to let your physician know if you are using a laxative and breast-feeding at the same time.

Possible Side Effects
Uncommon side effect that usually does not need medical attention: skin irritation around the rectal area.

Last edited by kdoss3; 02-16-2005 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
(male)

Streetcar HB User
Re: Mineral oil vs. Constipation.

Hey Kdoss3,

Thanks for th information that I neglected to include in my post. Also what I forgot to say was that everyone needs to see their DR for any medical problem that persists for longer than two weeks. Self treatment for a persistant condition may only be treating the symptom of what could be a very serious condition.

Also, when using any OTC product, read and HEED the warning section of the label. Once again thanks for filling in the details.

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Old 02-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Hi Streetcar... just thought I would post the information as I was considering using mineral oil long term to be sure to avoid constipation. I now have second thoughts after what I have read. Nonethe less.. Thank you for your post.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
(male)

Streetcar HB User

Hi Kdoss3,

Just out of curiousity what did your Dr. recommend for long term use?

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

He advised to continue on Colace, but I use a generic version (CVS brand) that seems to work well. I take two tablets morning, noon and before bedtime. I also take a powder fiber supplement twice a day. I hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #6

Lilymaid HB User

THROW OUT the mineral oil and laxatives...grab yourself a box of Kelloggs New Vanilla Mini Wheats....works for me!

Old 02-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Fiber and water are the best way to keep from getting constipated that I have found. Avoid regular use of any and all laxitives. If you need to use a little when you get off your diet and get constipated then fine.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Thanks to all that have provided their input and insight to this matter. I hope this helps anybody that may read it.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have said more than a few times on this board that mineral Oil should not be taken as a Laxative--- it will cause you to not absorb vital nutrients.

There are too many others that are safer!!!

Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Harry... well spoken... there are many other remidies that are much safer to use for an extended period of time. Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread