It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

SEATJKL HB User
Question hemroid surger--pros and cons

I have been told that I need hemroid surgery for an external hemroid. The doctor did, however, say I could just treat it but it would never go away. I've tried several different treatments and am now leaning toward surgery. My doc says it will put me out of commission for 6 weeks. Can anyone give me some pros and cons of surgery? Also, when she says out of commission, does she mean in bed resting or could I rest out by my pool, shop..etc..?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #2

FireWoman HB User
Re: hemroid surger--pros and cons

I have an external that I would love to have removed but am too chcken. What were the other treatments you have tried?

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

SEATJKL HB User

I have tried protofoam, prepH and anusol. The doc prescribed me some proctofoam but since I had already tried it, I didn't fill it.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The con is they don't just go away.
The biggest pro is you get your life back without pain after the surgery and your recovery--

Take the time to read some pages on the thread "Hemorroidectomy Blues" and get some pointers about what to do before and after surgery-- you'll certainly be glad you did!!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

Please, please do your homework! Six weeks is a joke! My doc said the same thing, more like 6 months! Make sure you go to a good colorectal surgeon too not a regular surgeon, you will be glad you did. If the hemm. is really painful get it removed, but the recovery period is long. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

As many other people on this board have stated, recovery is extensive but well worth it if you have a good surgeon who removes the hemm. After surgery you will be in some pain and uncomfortable. Sitting probably will not be an option for a while. I don't know about relaxing in the pool (as you mentioned ) because the doctor usually recommends a warm sitz bath. Perhaps other members mave have some feedback in this matter. I hope if you decide to have the surgery that everything works out okay for you. Good luck.

Closed Thread