It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
(male)

musicmork HB User
New to this board...and need some positive support

I just joined these boards after reading quite a few posts.
In 1997 or '98 (I forgot) I started having some blood in my stool and I went to a GI doctor for an exam. He gave me a sigmoidoscopy that day without a cleanout and even though he only got up about 15 cm he said that there was some inflamation on my bowel. He gave me some meds that weren't strong enough and scheduled me for a colonoscopy. I wimped out FOUR consecutive times (after prepping the night before ) over a period of months and decided to switch doctors.
I started to go to his partner and HE gave me a sigmoidoscopy (he got up around 30 cm high or so) and I had BEGGED him to withdraw the scope.
At that time he diagnosed me with "Distal Ulcerative Colitis " and put me on ASACOL (400mg 4 tabs 3 times daily) AND ROWASA medicinal enemas (medicine in enema form that you squirt into your colon at night and let the medicine coat the walls...anti inflamatory). During the first several years it seemed like my disease was managable and my distended stomach had gone away and the bleeding was intermittent...BUT he still wasn't able to get me in to have a full colonoscopy.

I have had the following symptoms...bloody lower caliber stools(very thin or shapeless)...some distention of my tummy...etc.
Well I am also anemic and he wants me to take iron supplements).
BUT....sporadically within the last few months my symptoms have gotten worse and I am back on the ASACOL ..with Rowasa (I had gone off of it for over a year without telling him yet I continued the Rowasa at night).
SO NOW...I can't seem to digest solid food without having urgencies to empty my bowel...and I am freaking out because I have convinced myself that It MUST be cancer and that I will HAVE to have the colonoscopy and possibly an operation.
I have serious issues about being poked prodded or being put out with anesthesia.
I need real helpful advice as I sit here.
Right now it is 5:40 am in Michigan and I have to see him at 2:15 pm this afternoon. I have been on an all liquid diet since Tuesday (advice from the doctor who was covering for him the other day) and I can't seem to stop having these symptoms.....distended belly with tenderness and slight pain.....urgency to evacuate bowels....diarrhea...(once with some blood).
I am fearing the worst and have been obsessing again and again...searching all over the internet..cancelling work and feeling like my life is going to be hell and eventually ending from disease.
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME FIND SOMETHING POSITIVE TO HANG ONTO.
I AM A 51 year old white male with panic disorder and am terribly worried about the worst case scenarios coming true.
CAN ANY OF YOU OUT THERE READING THIS BE OF ANY COMFORT TO ME?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

Georgette HB User
Re: New to this board...and need some positive support

If you have made it through the prep for the colonoscopy, then you have made it through the worst part. The procedure is nothing - I slept through the whole thing. I didn't even have any gas or discomfort following it. I went home, had a three hour nap, got up and ate a sandwich, relaxed for the evening and then went to bed.

My advice is to go through with the colonoscopy. The doctors need to do it in order to start figuring out how to treat you and get you some relief. I don't think any of us like to be examined "down there" but it's truly not that bad.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I have distal UC diagnosed 16 years ago.

I've had 6 colonoscopies, and as Georgette pointed out..the prep is the worst part.

The drugs are the best part, but I ask NOT to be knocked out because I insist to watch the monitor.

You DO want to know if you have cancer or any precancerous cells in your colon. Wishing doesn't change that, and ultimately....if you get more serious with your symptoms, you'll have to have one anyway.

I deal with my UC with 5ASA meds (asacol and Salofalk retention enemas -- same as Rowasa). There's a proper way to use them, and if you don't....it's possible your UC can spread upward.

It's ultimately your choice to have a colonoscopy, but it's a necessary part of dealing with knowing what's happening in there.

I intend on keeping my colon for as long as possible, and I've decided to get REALLY SMART about what I have. I have anxiety as well, but it's never been in dealing with my health...just myself and other people. Go figure!

let us know how your doctor's appointment went today. We'll help you as you go along.

Facing facts is really the positive thing to do....denial and avoidance isn't.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 03-03-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
(male)

musicmork HB User

Hi again....Thanks for the feedback guys....(or girls)

Well I am back from my visit to the Gastro-doctor.

I told him about ALL of the recent symptoms and how much worse they are and he kind of got a little frustrated with me when I didn't RUSH into talking about setting up a colonoscopy appointment.

I actually was so tired and upset at one point at his "I don't need to hear all the details...just tell me the damn symptoms" type of attitude that I actually started crying(pretty sad for a 51 year old man huh?) and telling him "You have NO idea what I have been through..you're a proceduralist"!!! He kind of was taken back by that but he sat back and shut up and let me finish my very accurate log of this week's ingested foods..bathroom habits..symptoms..everything.

After I was done telling him my week's events...we discussed my options for getting a colonoscopy. MY CHOICES ARE: 1.He knows I am the very anxious type (I have panic disorder and take Xanax for it) so he suggested that I be first relaxed with a little VERSED (via IV) and THEN have Propofol introduced (via IV) during the procedure. He said the Propofol will be fast acting and put me into a deep sleep. This would involve an anesthesiologist who would monitor me while he examines me..... OR.....2.If I insist..I can be injected with Versed and Demerol...and be in a twilight sleep and he would be monotoring me at the same time. He said some people wake up screamin from pain or discomfort and many enjoy a sedated state and well...you know.

I told him I needed time to decide which is right for me.

Then he said he's prescribe Prednisone 20 mg per day...to try and get my flare ups under control .He said for me to KEEP taking the Asacol (400 mg tabs 4 pills 3 times a day) and the nightly Rowasa enema.

I looked him in the eye and asked him...what he REALLY thought...DON"T BS me doc....and he said...he feels in his "heart of hearts" that I do not have cancer and that this is just a worsening of my distal ulcerative colitis.

He then layed me on the examining table and felt around my stomach and lower abdomen for ...well for whatever he was looking for.
Then he gave me a friendly tap..and said..You're gonna be fine"
Then I left and talked to an office worker about when to schedule a colonoscopy and told her I would call and let her know. With my work schedule it would most likely be in about a month. So I figured what's another month after 8 years .
Then I went to my pharmacy and go my Rx filled for the Prednisone.
I asked the pharmacist about SIDE EFFECTS ( I am ALWAYS FREAKED OUT OVER POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF ANY DRUGS) and she gave me a laundry list.
Well..there were a few that freaked me out a little.
There is one that says one of the side effects could be an irregular rapid pounding heart. THAT WAS IT!!!
I said to myself I am NOT gonna have a heart attack from taking prednisone.
So now I don't know what to do...and I am about to eat solid food for the first time in 3 days.

Has ANYONE had experience with the drugs mentioned above?
Propofol,Versed,Demerol, Prednisone (20 mg tabs)

I am a huge worrier and kind of a big baby...just the way i am wired.

And ideas?

Last edited by musicmork; 03-03-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

meggsters HB User

I am new to all of this. I am 23 years old, and was just diagnosed with procitits, similar to ulcerative colitis, except it's only in the rectum. I, like you, am a very anxious person. I was crying in the docs office as soon as he walked in the door. He was very "procedural" as you put it in your previous post. He had little sympathy for me,and pretty much told me "if you can't stop crying, you can just leave" Well I sucked it up and made an appointment for a colonoscopy. You really should have a colonoscopy. Like everyone said, the worse part is the prep. I slept thru mine, don't remember a thing. The worse part for me was when they put the needle in my arm.

As far as prednisone goes, it works good, but for me the side effects are terrible. I get night sweats and insomnia. What is to be feared the most is the long term effects, but if you'ore only on it for a short time (and you should only be on it for a short time, IMO), you don't need to worry as much about the long ter effects.

Please, just go get the colonoscopy, it's a breeze compared to the sigmoid. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
(male)

musicmork HB User

Meggsters,

What dosage of Prednisone were you on and what did it do FOR you?

Did it stop your bleeding and give you back some healthy bowel movements?

Did you find that outside of the insomnia and night sweats that it was a pretty well tolerated drug?

How long did the night sweats last and what did you do to overcome it?

Last edited by musicmork; 03-03-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

musicmork....

Wow, how do I say this in a supportive way??? Hmmmm, DON'T TAKE THE PREDNISONE!!

Sorry.....I've read sooooo many postings about people who have been on prednisone and cannot even get off it. There are long-term side effects and it shouldn't be used unless one is totally resistant to 5ASA meds, plus others.

you don't have to take the prednisone. My doctor has never even prescribed it for me even at my worst time of 15 times a day of razor bloody diarrhea.

You have a say in your treatment.

But, do use your meds properly, use the Rowasa NIGHTLY, plus the Asacol daily.

Set up your colonoscopy and do it quickly so that you understand exactly where it is extended to and the extent of the inflammation.

For the meds during the colonoscopy, Versed and the Demerol are awesome!!!!!!!!! You can ask for more, and they can give you enough so that you konk out. The Versed is supposed to be an amnesiac...basically it's so that you don't really remember the bad pain if you had it.

Your stress levels will exacerbate your symptoms, but now that your fears of cancer have hopefully subsided, maybe you'll start to relax a bit about now dealing with your UC.

I would also suggest you purchase a good probiotic (keeps the flora of the gut balanced).

As well, there are many who adhere to the SCD (special Carbohydrate Diet) which you might find helpful. I don't, because food doesn't scare me and I understand my symptoms intimately.

Try not to be fearful of eating, for you must do so. Stick with fairly basic foods and stay away from whole fruits and vegetables unless they're cooked well. Salads can be touchy for many, I can eat them now now problem.

Food won't affect your flares at all, they can cause you discomfort because of the inflammation in your gut. Now that you're on your meds, you will start to notice an improvement withing the next week or two.

Are you able to hold in the Rowasa for the full night? If so, that's great!!

You'll be fine, try to keep it all in perspective and know that you will improve.

I refused prednisone early on when first diagnosed when my doc had to go out of town unexpectedly. I told the doc I wouldn't take it, he said he would have put me on pred first thing. I told him I was thankful that he wasn't my doctor.

So, you have some choices. The doctor may interpret your emotional state as a hurry up for you to start to feel better. The pred does work quickly, but usually one is on a dosage far too long (again from my perspective based on what I've read of other posters).

20mg isn't a high dosage, but if you can improve on the Rowasa and Asacol firstly....that would be my first choice -- yes, I'm a hardcore 5ASA user....but it has been 16 years of using it to treat and control flares, so I'm biased.

Hang in there and set up the colonoscopy soon,
quincy

Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
(male)

musicmork HB User

Quincy,

I am taking the maximum dosage of Asacol and Rowasa...and it's not enough right now.

There is only one step up.....and that's a steroid....Prednisone.

Why wouldn't it help me ease my symptoms or even get into a remission if I took it for a short period of a month or two?

Also...I have been searching for other posts about Prednisone and can't find much here.

Do you have any links for me?

Now...I feel a little lost.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Musicmork... I hope this note finds you doing a little better. I just wanted to let you know that the company that I am employed by (Baxter Healthcare Corp)... manufacturer's the Propofol. When I had surgery for an Acute Fissure (the procedure...Internal Lateral Spincteronomy) I was given Propofol and experienced its affects first hand. It did place me in a deep sleep. Furthermore, when you come out of surgery you are not groggy at all, but rather a feeling of being well rested without the "I just woke up" feeling. In my opinion the Propofol is a breakthrough in anesthesia. Nonetheless, our company does distribute a TON of Propofol bottles for various surgeries.... Now the Prednisone... My grandmother did not do well on this drug and started to have hallucinations in the middle of the night. It is also a drug that cannot be stopped abruptly and should not be taken if you are a diabetic. That information I found on the web. I wish only the best. Please keep us posted on your condition.

k.

Last edited by kdoss3; 03-04-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

musicmork,

How long have you been on the Rowasa and the Asacol?

There's nothing wrong with taking PRed if it helps, and only for a short time of a tapering dosage. It has to be tapered just as any medication does.

I'm against PRed because doctors don't prescribe it, from my perspective, properly.

I think a 10 day tapered dosage is the way to go to start....to kick-start (healing process) or better yet to say kick-stop the inflammation.

My suggestion....KNOW what you're getting into and ask the doctor what he has in mind with your pred treatment.

As well, there is some evidence that pred plus Rowasa is contraindicative, meaning the Rowasa doesn't seem to work as well.

How long have you been using rowasa nightly? How far up is your inflammation?

It took me 3 months of nightly Salofalk (same as Rowasa) for my flare to subside.

All I'm saying is take meds, even Pred (yes, it's an awesome med when used properly)....but I've seen people whose doctors have had them on it for YEARS!! You think dealing with what you have now is tough? Getting off of it is darned near impossible, the adrenal gland actually shuts down and stops producing cortisol..then once it's being tapered the adranal gland has to literally be "woken up" again.

I'm not totally against steroid use, I use it inhaled for asthma. It keeps the inflammation down...but it's not oral. My husband had poison ivy and was given a 10 day taper and it's never been back. It's a miracle med...I don't dispute that.

But, I'm questioning just how bad your flare is and if you've had any improvement so far?

I'm asking questions to you that I'd ask my doctor if he ever prescribed it. It's all subjective, and the decision would still be mine. I also have a few friends who refused pred even through doctors insistance...and that's not with my encouragement either.

You definitely have to do what's best for you...just know that there's other perspectives about it..and it's OK to be confused about it. That way, you'll find the information and make a cognitive decision rather than one out of desperation.

respectfully,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 03-04-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
(male)

musicmork HB User

Hey EVERYONE.....especially Quincy...I've taken Rowasa and Asacol(400mg 4tabs 3 times daily) for years and had fairly good results WHEN I was taking them regularly. Problem was...I would skip doses sometimes for BOTH meds...and well...I went completely off of ASACOL for the last year-2 years and didn't even see or tell my gastro-enterologist. Meanwhile I was using the ROWASA sporadically and I have had so many bloody bowls during bowel movements that I became moderately anemic. Recently...about 11 days ago I went back on the ASACOL and ROWASA and only missed a couple doses of ASACOL for one day. SO...they aren't working. Doc says the Prednisone could work to control the inflamation....until I get in for the colonoscopy.
Problem is...I have been so stressed and sleepless and all ...that since last Sunday I haven't been eating much because my retention of food time has shortened.
For example last Sunday night I had a chicken (boiled not fried) dinner around 6 pm and two hours later I was in the bathroom with diahrrea. Weird though...I have had diahrrea and loose watery unshaped stools all week....and yet I never have had any lower cramping. It's just that i'd be sitting or whatever...and I would have the URGENT need to empty and then i do (and it's diahrrea)...and I feel relieved until the next URGE.
So my questions and concerns are various.
FIRST...of all...I have already lost about 5-6 pounds this week alone.
That is freaking me out along with the daily watery and loose waste.
I DO have a good appetite for food but I am afraid to really indulge because I feel it will just come out after a few hours. I need my food to stay in my system longer.

Should I try some Pepto Bismol?

If I could have a semi -normal BM I'd be ecstatic.
Would prednisone help this to happen?
I KNOW that an ulcerated colon will not hold the waste correctly so it falls through before being formed.
Would Prednisone reduce the inflamation to my bowel and allow it to absorb water and actually form a decent turd? (I don't know of a better word for turd..sorry)

Here's the MAIN reason I am on here.

I am scared out of my mind that I have lost weight...yet I know that I haven't been eating much due to stress and fear.

What I want from you guys is ANYTHING positive to hang onto and I don't want to hear any doom and gloom stories or ....people YELLING at me to RUSH in and get the colonoscopy tomorrow...like an alarmist would be.

I need someone tp tell me that I will be okay...because I am walking around weighing myself before and after every meal and bowel movement. And my girlfriend's scale is always changiing by a pound or so ...so who knows.
I get so damn obsessed and depressed and THEN because of the recent symptoms becoming worse...I fear the worst and have been telling myself and others that I am dying.
I can't be in this frame of mind...I must find SOMETHING for now to calm me down and to find hope and know that things are gonna be okay.
Psychologically...I am a mess and it's GOT to be affecting my body somewhat.

When I left the doctor's office yesterday (Thursday) I felt like 100 percent better until the next morning when I went to the bathroom and looked into the bowl.
Then I started up the worrying again. ONLY NOW...I feel like I don't even have a chance with the Prednisone from all the posts I have read on this site.

I have a shrink too...and SHE says that I should try the prednisone and that it's not that bad of a drug. MY rx is only for 30 days with one refill....and it's 20 mg tablets.
Yes I admit that I read ALL the possible side effects and think that if I take the Prednisone that I will get them.

Maybe I could cut the tablet into quarters...and then take 1/4 pill on day one....2/4 on day two.....one pill on day three...build up or something huh ?

Does this make any sense?

Please...ANYONE reading this....I need someone to step forward and help me to calm down about this.
Let me know that my life isn't going to end soon.

Thanks

P.S. KDOSS3, thanks for the info on Propofol.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Everything you said makes perfect sense. We all are scared when first diagnosed because we don't know what to expect.

Positive......well, you'll be fine (this term is subjective of course, I think you'll be fine, you have to believe you'll be fine, too).

Positive......you've had good results with 5ASA.

positive......if you used your meds properly....you will have continued results.

Positive....food doesn't go through you in a few hours. Food triggers the peristalsis movement, and anything that has moved into the bowel will get rushed out in a hurry because of the inflammation.

Positive....when food gets rushed out in a hurry, the body doesn't retain the proper nutrients.

Positive.....once the inflammation has died down, the bowel slows down and learns how to work properly again.

Positive......you'll gain back any weight you've lost once you get the inflammation under control.

Positive......Metamucil Smooth (not the aspartame kind) will help bulk up your stool.

Positive.....eat small meals, chew them well. Eat every 2 or 3 hours. Protein drinks might be an option for between meals.

Positive......experience is our best teacher, no matter how much stuff we hear from other people.

Positive.....it took me 3 months of Salofalk retention enemas (same as Rowasa) to get the bleeding to stop and finally form proper stool, end the urgency/cramping...etc. I then had to taper off the meds and had a remission a few months later.

Positive.....when I was still flaring and on Asacol and Salofalk..I tended to get a bit ticked at times and just skipped dosages. I flared, and realised there's a right way and wrong way in dealing with these meds.

Positive....5ASA is still one of the best meds to deal with UC. It's a good start..but I would like to have you experience them working for you.

Positive....patience is important...my doc kept telling me this and I heard him through my tears of fear. He was right, and I learned to trust the medication, him and most of all...myself in how to use it properly.

--------

You can do all that's required to deal with this. It takes time to accept a diagnosis, symptoms, deal with frustration, realise changes are necessary, but it can be handled well. It's life-long, and that's why I encourage you to learn. What if you gave 5ASA a really fair try and then if it really didn't meet your expectations, you can go on the prednisone?

Give it even one month of proper (NO missed dosages) meds.

I just want to add that high dosages of asacol can also increase diarrhea. But, you could consider to reduce that after your urgency has decreased.

The Metamucil will definitely bulk up the stool. Start with one dosage a day and increase to two for a few days. I've gone as high as 3 daily, but only needed to do that for a few days.

PRednisone doesn't work by building up to a dosage. You might not get the side effects...20mg is a very low dosage. I know people who take 60mg daily.

I really really think you can do this...you can put off your colonoscopy until you see some results with your meds and start to realise your fears have lessened.

My psychologist has always told me......options....having options is what keeps you from feeling stuck, isolated and desperate. Challenge the irrational thoughts and give yourself rational statements about those thoughts.

Your life won't end soon because of the UC, that's for sure.
Trust in yourself. Read lots on UC. Take a day at a time.

Keep things in perspective.

I've been at this too long, so forgive me if I'm too forward.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 03-04-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
(male)

musicmork HB User

Dear Quincy,

I cried when I read your response to me. It was very kind of you to explain things as well as you do. I finally feel like SOMEONE out there in this world understands my needs...emotionally and physically. I think we will become friends....hopefully for a long healthy time.

As far as my meds working....they aren't. I have been taking Rowasa for years and Asacol too. Now they just AREN"T doing enough...so I am continually having....loose paste like bowel excretions...sometimes one follows the other after ten minutes..but then I am okay for a while. I am a little uncertain as to what you meant by saying that I am retaining my food. Do you mean to say that since my food is digesting...breaking down.....that I am getting some health benefits? I have logged and documented EVERYTHING I eat...bathroom results....times...my weight....etc. I am like my own personal secretary.
Seems like when I eat..sometimes It may be only 30 minutes or an hour and then I get the urgency to move bowels. (not cramps as with typical diahrrea)...it's more of the feeling that ...WHOAHHHHH I bettter run to the bathroom or hold it in. But MAYBE I am excreting something I ate earlier? Niot sure on that one. I will have to look back at my log and see.

BUt sometimes..like at night...I will eat....and then take my Rowasa...and go about 10-12 hours before I have to evacuate my bowels. The only problems are....I get only a few hours of sleep a night (due to worry and stress and whatever) plus I am feeling low..weak...depressed etc.

I gave my girlfreind a 2 page list of my medical concerns and asked her to call my doctors...( my Gastro enterologist...and my psychiatrist) I suffer with panic disorder. I take inderal 20 mg 4 times a day plus Xanax .5 mg a day along with my gastro meds. He also wants me to take iron suppliments for my anemia...but i haven't as of yet. I am considering metamucil...like you suggested. maybe If I saw ANY improvement in BMs I'd be so happy.
Back to my Gastro doc....
I fear he's too much of a proceduralist to really deal with my emotional needs and therefore I am having a tougher time with my feelings of abandonment.
Some friends of mine are trying to use the tough love approach to get me into the colonoscopy. I understand their trying to deal with me. I have always been a hard headed person who is untrusting and fearful of many people and things in this world..and have always wanted SOME control in what I get inviolved in. It's how I am wired. Even though I am stubborn and sometimes impossible to deal with...I know I am a nice guy who is honest and loyal...and gives others SUPPORT that will help and not frustrate. THAT IS THE KEY.
TO EMPOWER and UPLIFT OUR FELLOW MEN AND WOMEN and not scare the hell out of them or GUILT them into things.

I promised my girlfriend ( I live with her and her son and our three dogs) that today I would take a shower and go outside....( even though i am so exhausted from lack of sleep...nutrition...or whatever).
I promised myself also..that today I would GO somewhere...change my environment and try to get my mind on something BESIDES monitoring my symptoms and worrying and making long phone calls to friends.

I want to keep up a dialogue with you because..you just might be the proverbial "needle in the haystack" person who can help me go through this...and of course I would reciprocate help to you as well.

You seem VERY intelligent and well read....and knowledgeable about these medical problems.

I would like to know a little more about you...basic things that you would like to tell me.

A little about ME... personally....I am 51 years old...male..live in Michigan in suburbs of Detroit area.
I am a professional musician/comedian /entertainer...and work a LOT with seniors. I have many bookings throughout the year. I play keyboards...trumpet...and sing...and tell funny stories or oddball jokes.
(I used to perform as a professional stand up comedian from 1986-1992)...and I truly am very funny and talented ...worked with some BIG names too..(not trying to brag).
Then the work dried up and I went into music...in the mid nineties.

I am going through maybe one of the toughest times in my life right now...and am feeling really needy...as you can tell.

Hoping to hear back from you...with more insight and help.

Thanks SO much,
Mark

Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
(male)

musicmork HB User

Quincy,

I forgot to mention.

I was dignosed about 7-8 years ago with UC from evidence seen by my current Gastro-enterologist when he gave me a sigmoid. He only got it in me half way up and I BEGGED him to take it out. He saw my distal ulcers..and that's when I learned that I had UC. HOPEFULLY...it's still ALL that I have and all I will have.

By the way..

Back about 1998 or so....I prepped on four different occasions for colonoscopies and FOUR times...I escaped the hospital setting and ran to my car and drove home. MY parents came once and they saw me run outside ( i drove seperately)

Part of me thinks that I may have screwed myself by being such a wimp....and NOW I am paying for it with something worse?

Also...can UC cause smaller caliber pencil like stools???...because that has been a COMMON occurance over the last 7 years as well. ...sometimes they were a little bigger ( not normal sized ..but bigger) after steadier use of the 5asa drugs that USED to work much better than now.

Thanks,
mark

Last edited by musicmork; 03-05-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
(male)

musicmork HB User

One more thing...

Quincy you stated: "Positive....when food gets rushed out in a hurry, the body doesn't retain the proper nutrients".

I'm not sure how that is a positive thing. Can you explain?

I am so tired right now...and my energy is sapped. I still have distended stomach with tenderness . This really came on yesterday more so than the days before. Why is this happeneing ? I feel I can hardly stand.

What can I do to get some energy?

Do I need to go into the hospital for IV fluids?

Am I malnourished?

Is this a result of....well....my UC bowel problem or whatever is really inside my intestines ?

Or..is this a combination of the whole week full of stress...lack of nutrition...many trips to the bathroom ...weight loss.....etc.????

Should I panic yet ? Or what can I ingest or do to give me back some much needed energy.

I feel like I will drop.

Mark

P.S. here's a small update at 1;15pm est....I had a bowel movement that was a litter of small kind of squiggly small caliber stools......and yes there was some pinstriping of blood in them but this is the first time I have actually had a stool of ANY form or caliber in several days. I hope this is a positive sign of better things to come. Right now though...I really need some sleep but I am too uptight to do so. My body feels depleted and my energy level is very very low. But still I feel uptight...muscles are not relaxed ...so I took my 20mg Inderal and my .5 mg Xanax tablet ...and HOPEFULLY it will relax me and I can get in a nap.

OOPS SPOKE TOO SOON: AT 2:40 pm I HAD A SMALL MOVEMENT OF LIQUID STOOL.....with a little blood mixed in......DAMN!!!

Last edited by musicmork; 03-05-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Closed Thread