It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
(male)

SirMack HB User
I can only 'poop' once a week, should I be concerned about? What could it be?

I can only use the restroom once a week, and when I do go it is usually a VERY small amount. I eat normal portions during meals and eat at least twice a day. I have tried 'laxatives' but they usually make me sick, and even when I try the ones that are 'gentle' i still only release a small amount.

I don't have any stomach pains or anything, I have been like this most of my life and when I bring it up to friends they usually freak out saying that I need to go see a doctor.

I urinate normally, sometimes more often then others.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Dtownstew HB User
Question Re: I can only 'poop' once a week, should I be concerned about? What could it be?

I too have had some difficulty going my whole life. I have had bad experiences with laxatives too, but the Glycerin Suppositories work very well for me. They help me go well when I am feeling I need to go good, like you.
Give those a try maybe...since they are rectal, they shouldn't make you sick.

I jsut buy the store brand, they work fine.

Let me know how you make out buddy,

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

spongbob HB User
Re: I can only 'poop' once a week, should I be concerned about? What could it be?

Hello I have a 3 year old son with the same problem he has justed started pooping about two times a week and when he does he can not make it to the toilet in time I am carrying him to the doctor tuesday to see if i can find out what is going on my sister had this problem and they discovered she has a potassium problem i will try to keep you informed as to what my son might have i hope we can find out what the problem is i do know the doctor said everyone should poop at least once a day

Old 03-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: I can only 'poop' once a week, should I be concerned about? What could it be?

The quality of your stool is probably more important then the frequency. It should never be "hard." It should be like moist clay, no balls or egg shaped segments.

In my opinion one should have a BM at least once a day. You control this by watching the fiber content in your diet, and the amount of water you drink. My guess is that you diet is very short on at least one of these two.

The problem with stools staying in the colon for a long time is that they seem to cause cancerous polyps to develop.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
(male)

SirMack HB User

Well my stool movements are almost always balls/egg shaped and they I think they are hard, havn't really 'felt' them.

So what is the best way to fix it? is it a problem with my body or my diet? What is the best fiber supplement to take to help me out?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Try eating prunes or drinking prune juice. They are pretty powerful for me. I was drinking prune juice to try to loosen my stool up and I drank about a half a cup. Then a couple hours later nothing was happening so I had another half of a cup. I got diarrhea about an hour after that. So start small, don't drink a lot of it and gradually try having a little more until it works. Try having 1/4 to 1/2 cup each day and just see what happens. Also increase your water intake.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

If they are coming out as balls they are too hard.

Water is the best cure. You need a good 3 liters a day. Maybe even more. Do not count water in food you eat, soft drinks, etc.

Also work on getting your fiber up to at least 30 grams a day. As you start to increase fiber you may experience some gas, and even loose stools. This is normal as your body adjusts you will in 6-8 weeks be well on you your way to healthy cleansing bowel movements. This is what works for me. My guess is that it will work for you. Go for it.

Closed Thread