It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User
Extreme itchiness after bowel movement.

Hello. I am a 21 year old male and I will try to be as non-graphic as possible, but as soon as the first passing goes through, my anus and like a little bit inside my rectum will start itching unbelievably bad, almost so itchy that it becomes so uncomfortable that it's painful, kinda hard to explain and it will also usually itch for quite a while afterwards, but not as bad.. and this has been maybe the last 6-8 bathroom trips.

Back in November I had a random little bump on my anus, and it just popped out of nowhere one day really and it always itched and it kinda hurt (mainly when i was having a bowel movement and was wiping) and then it just slowly went down and vanished within 10 days maybe. Also, 2+ years ago I had some blood in one of my bowel movements, but that hasn't happened since and never happened before that incident.

I'm just wondering what may be causing this problem and what I should do to help it? Probably well over a month ago I made a thread involving the bump that came out of nowhere. I had a few replies, and they said it might have been a hemorroid. Maybe it is somehow related to that, if in fact it was a hemorroid, maybe it wasn't. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Extreme itchiness after bowel movement.

Hi,

I would say it is definitely related. What happens as well with a hemorrhoid is that stool can settle in the little folds of the anus and cause irritation. Wiping only exacerbates it.

Firstly, make sure you are able to clean properly after a bm. After wiping, that would involve either jumping into the tub and using a hand shower, or if not at home use wet toilet paper and then products such as Tucs or baby wipes that can be flushed.

After cleaning, apply a hydrocortisone cream (you can get a .05% at the drugstore) a few times a day. There are also suppositories (either hemorrhoid ones or just hydrocortisone) for a few days.

If you are going to the doctor, prescription Proctocetyl or Anusol works awesomely! They come in ointment and suppository.

Definitely if your symptoms change, become extreme or unbearable...see your doc.

Adding fibre to your diet will help. It will bulk up your stool and make them easier to pass. That would include fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Metamucil is one many use. Have you heard of Kashi? They have small crackers that are totally delicious and add to your daily fibre. I don't have any adverse reactions (tons of gas) from them at all as I do with Metamucil.

I hope this passes...they come/go. It's good to have meds or some sort of regimen to use for prevention plus treatment when they show up again.

Be well,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 03-20-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Thanks a lot for the reply quincy. I will start using wet toilet paper and baby wipes and I will also have to check out the hydrocortisone cream if problems persist. My last movement wasn't so bad, so I'll see how it goes the next few trips to the bathroom.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Well, the extreme itchiness has calmed down and I haven't had the problem in the last few trips to the bathroom, and I haven't used any meds either, but I will not forget about it, because I am sure it will come around again....

My last bowel movement, on my last wipe, there was like 3 little red dots on the toilet paper, yet there was no blood in the stools??? This seemed rather odd to me. Was this blood and why would there be just a few small spots?

Old 04-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

That's a good thing. I always have some blood on the toilet paper if I overwipe (or wipe till I'm satisfied) -- but I will always do a handshower if I'm at home afterward. I rarely will have a bm other than at home anyway.

I have a fissure and it will always tear a little after a bm from wiping. Doesn't take much.

Sounds as though what you have is a bit of a fissure.

I'll have it on occasion where I'll totally break it open (when the stool is bigger and harder) and it will drip into the toilet. I'm never concerned, just ticked that I now have that to deal with.

I will wash, then apply hydrocortisone cream on it first...and if by the second day it 's still opening, I'l start to use Proctocetyl.

Anusol is another option.

If you want to check....do a squat over a mirror and check it out after all your wiping and cleaning. It'll show if it's external.

Then you won't have to worry about it so much, just learn how to keep on top of treatment for it.

As with any maladies...if it worsens, or symptoms change, get checked out if it's over and beyond normal treatment.

quincy

Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #6
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

So what exactly is a fissure? Is that like a cut or something inside the rectum??

Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

It's a cut in the anal folds, externally but the anus folds inward after a bm, so it can be hidden. The rectum is higher than the anus...one would never be able to see any of the rectum (unless it was prolapsed -- but that's not what we're talking about).

If even the tiniest amount of stool gets into and remains in the fissure..it can create severe itching or even an infection. That's why the suggestion of washing with wetcloths or hand shower (or bidet or a sitz bath).

quincy

Old 04-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

What about floating Stools? I thought I've heard before that when stools float, it's a sign of a cancer. This isn't always, but sometimes they will all go to the bottom, but then a random stool will float. Then every once in a while, a few stools will float and then sometimes none will. I have noticed that usually the ones that float are ones that are little, shaped like a ball, like a rabbit turd, but I have indeed seen all types float.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

OK, done some searching (because I want to know as well since I have a few floaters as well)....

If it's intermittent, especially in the same bm..then that would more than likely mean more gas within that stool production. It could depend on what you ate and how that particular food broke down in the digestive process and if there was a lot of gas during that stool production would be within that stool. To me, little floaters would be like mixing things together in a cake or cookies and there are still pockets of unintegrated ingredients. Make sense?

If it were to be consistent with normal smelling stools, normal formation and colour, but floating...it could mean that your colon is in a more alkaline state -- which is a good thing according to many naturopracticioners. Eating specific foods will produce the correct type of stool that floats and breaks down upon flushing. That would mean ther it has enough of the correct fibre to absorb water to produce a soft, light stool. I would agree that the body should be in more of an alkaline state.

If you were having foul smelling bms..irregular frothy stools, light in colour, etc and always floating, that could be a sign of celiac disease, pancreas disorders...etc.

The key would be consistency of floaters and whether you fall into a specific category of other symptoms.

I don't worry about it at all.....and one thing I haven't read from my mini-research is that it means cancer.

Hope this helps,
quincy

Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Well, sometimes my stools are quite light in color, frothy, and I definitely have some odd, fowl smelling movements, but nothing is ever consistent. Every movement is different for me. Obviously it is common for movements to stink, but sometimes the smells just don't seem normal and I've never smelt that particular smell before, so maybe I do have a panceas disorder or celiac disease, I'll have to do some research. I have always heard people say that their doctors tell them they should never pay much attention to their stools, but what if the odd stools mean something serious? Thanks again though, you've been a lot of help.

Closed Thread