It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #1

benton20 HB User
Anal Fissure Recovery

Hello Everybody,

I am a 24y/o with a history of an anal fissure for about 7 months. I recently went to the colo-rectal surgeon and he suggested a lateral spinchterectomy due to my age and length of duration. I have searched this site and have read a lot of stories of people suffering from the same thing and feel for all of you. My biggest question though is what is the recovery period like? Mainly I need to know how long it will be before I can go back to work (Surgeon told me I could have the surgery on Friday and be back to work on Monday-but I think he is dreaming from what I have read in previous posts). If anybody wants to add additional information concerning the post-op period it would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Benton20

Old 03-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Anal Fissure Recovery

You can be back at work within 7 days, but full recovery can take months. At least that is my situation. Recovery from surgery is not any more difficult than contending with a chronic fissure, so I say go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #3

benton20 HB User

Chiggins1066,

Thanks for the reply. I was also wondering since you had it several months ago if you were back to your normal self again, such as eating whatever you wanted, exercise, not having to take a stool softner and drink a gallon of water a day, etc.

Benton20

Old 03-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Hey Benton...surgery for me was a breeze..even the pain was very tolerable after surgery..I was up walking around in hours and even went out.....to the store for the evening a day later. I had the surgery last october 29...2004...the main problem I am having STILL is that I have skin tags that swell and re-irritate the area at times. It does take a long time before the body heals 100%...but if you don't have stuff in that area blocking you then surgery will most likely be VERY successful. Good Luck and keep us posted....

Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

rainbowdawn HB User

My husband had that surgery in January and he had to be off work for a month. The surgeon insisted on it. Good luck to you...By the way it is worth it he is pain-free now!!!

Old 04-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Benton... As Chiggins noted... if the problem is ongoing then by all means have the surgery. For me, it took longer to get back to work because of the spasms but they do pass. (See my post on page 2 under "Acute Fissure Surgery".) You will gather more information from Chiggins, Watchout, Firewoman and myself. Personnaly, I believe we all shared some similar experiences. Healing has varied from person to person. We wish you well.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I went to the GI doc today, and he said rectal spasms can cause the full-colon feeling that's driving me nuts. Even 3 months after surgery, my colon is still "active". Fortunately, I don't have any bleeding, burning, and ripping anymore. I think the fissure is history, but the rectum is still real sensitive.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #8

benton20 HB User

I was also wondering what kind of symptoms everybody had before their surgery. I am just trying to justify having the surgery and to make sure that it is worth it. As for me, I have had this dragon (I saw where somebody else named it this and I liked it) for the past 7 months. I can do alright with it as long as I drink about 8 20oz water bottles a day, take a stool softner and fiber each morning, and eat like a vegetarian. However, my problem is that I cheat and if I have a hamburger or only drink 3 glasses a water a day then I am back to calming the dragon back down. Exercise also does it, I have tried to drink more water or not sweat as much, but no matter what any type of physical exertion brings it back. Therefore, I have not had the opportunity to work out in 7 months which is making me feel like shxx. As for calming the fissure down it usually takes anywhere from 3-7 days of really eating well, drinking tons of water, and a lot of sitz baths to get back to normal. But in that 3-7 days is the worst pain in my life, and god help me if I have to go more than once in a day. Anyway, like I said I am just trying to justify the surgery. As of right now I am completely fine and it is just hard for me to fathom the pain that this surgery will bring on with me not hurting right now. I have read about a few of you having this for years and I completely feel for each of you, so I am one to consider the surgery if I can get my like back and not have this dragon keep recurring in the following years.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

kdoss3 HB User

Benton... this dragon you have will most likely continue huffing and puffing until it brings you to tears. Believe me when I tell you it is well worth the surgery. The discomfort after the surgery is not pleasant but it will pass. Remember... we will be here for you when you need us.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #10

benton20 HB User

Alright, I have decided to go thru with the surgery. It is scheduled for this friday. The doc has gave me three options for the anesthesia which are
1) conscious sedation and local anesthetic (basically awake just won't remember)
2) General Anesthesia (knocked out cold)
3) Spinal (completely awake just won't feel the bottom half of my body).
I am thinking about going for the general, but I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on one or the other.

Thanks,

Benton20

Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #11

FireWoman HB User

Hey there,

I hated my spinal anesthesia. I had one for my c-section and I still suffer backaches from it.

Dana

Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
(female)

BARBRA54 HB User

I had surgery for my fissure 1 month ago and the pain was tolerable but no fun afterwards. The bleeding subsided and I felt much better a week ago. NOW I am in pain again and I notice what looks like the stitching coming undone. I have a large pc of wire type string hanging and it pulls and catches and HURTS so bad..... did anyone else have this????? anyone know what to do? I see the dr Friday. Pls email me with any suggestions...[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Hey....haven't written in awhile..but my thoughts on Fissure surgey remains the same...even though my initial recovery was fast....super fast...the residual issues I had lasted for months..but I would still do it again!!! I had my surgery last October and was on fiber, stool softeners, etc....and back the beginning of the year..I was bleeding and was scheduled to go into surgey for a SECOND time because of more pain, spasming and bleeding. I ultimatley chickened out though, because I just didn't want to go through ANOTHER surgery that quick. Instead, I decided to forget what the Colon-rectal Dr. told me and experiment on my own....so for the last 4 months I have changed things..I no longer eat meat....seems to make going to the bathroom impossible and makes me get spasms....I don't take fiber, or stool softeners..I don't know why I even started this stuff...it might work for some people but it totally wrecked me..I don't have a gallbladder so maybe thats why it was so rough on me, I don't know. But overall, fiber make my BM's so huge that my narrow rectal area was being aggravated everyday...and the stool softners made me ALWAYS have this fullness and urge to go to the bathroom..when I stopped this stuff...I literally ran to the bathroom for about 2-3 days with a foam like substance coming out of me....Its as if my body was expelling months of this stuff. I literally felt so toxic from all the stuff I was junking my body up with!!!! I still have veggies every couple days..I have a spastic colon (from the lack of a gallbladder) so for me eating too much of a good thing just makes me sick. I eat tons of pasta, bread, cheese, and grains in general....for me... keeping my body calm meant eating foods that are softer to my system...and of coarse, I drink lots of water all day....especially first thing in the morning..this ALWAYS helps me to go the bathroom...I used to eat a cup of shaved ice first thing in the morning and anytime I felt I had to go and couldn't (unfortunatley doing that..has wrecked my fillings in my mouth..causing some of my teeth to break-which need to be fixed AGAIN-but that is a whole other story...ugh!) But it sure did work....I guess for me, drinking a cup of water was kind of nauseating right after getting up...so this worked wonders, though I no longer do this... I still get soreness and a bit of pain down there, and once in awhile I get a little constipated...but 90% of the time I feel pretty good..my spasms only happen every so often and not to bad when they do occur....no more stabbing pain.....the fissure area still gets tender, though after trial and error I came up with a cream I use about 3 times a day..it includes: aloe vera gel, hydrocortisone, neosporin creme with pain relief, anti-fungal cream, Preperation H, A and D ointment, and my favorite Curel Body lotion. I don't know if it is good to mix so many things...but I became desperate and was surprised to find it works pretty good. It makes a huge difference to add the lotion though..something my Mom says she has been doing for years..though it seemed strange to me..it does help..I figure if lotion is used for the hands when they get cracked..I guess it could keep the area down there hydrated somewhat too....I just mix all this stuff in a container well and it lasts for weeks. Obviously EVERYONE is different so what works for me, might NOT be right for other people...but for everyone out there who is struggling, read everything you can and then do what is RIGHT for YOUR body...and above all trust YOURSELF..cause you know your body best! Good Luck and God Bless!

Old 05-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I had 2 fissures that required surgery to correct. The recovery wasn't easy, as is evident by my other posts, but I am pleased to say both are 100% gone.

Because I had so many issues, I recently had a colonoscopy to rule out IBD. best thing I ever did. doctor said the only thing he found were some internal hemmroids. The clean out process actually helped me in a big way -no more gas problems! it's like whatever was in there causing problems was blasted out after 3 days of fasting and the solution.

It will take a couple months to recover 100% if you have fissure surgery. it will take longer if you have more than one chronic fissure. But the alternative is to live in misery for years!

Old 05-20-2005, 08:24 PM   #15

FireWoman HB User

Very true Chiggins.

Hey Watchout - it's so good to hear from you. I was wondering how you were doing. Me, pretty much the same. I can't seem to rid myself of this nasty fissure no matter what I do. I am planning on seeing my colo-rectal surgean in two weeks and that will probably tell the tale of what I will do - surgery vs. no surgery. With pain like this, I am thinking surgery is the only answer. I mean, it has gotten to the point where walking around is just not an option. And the constant aching, yowza!! It's enough to drive me insane!!

Will continue to give updates and I hope you will as well.

Good luck to you with your continued recovery

Closed Thread