It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #1

THNew13 HB User
Colitis & Anal Sex

Does anyone know if there is a correlation between the two? Can anal sex cause colitis?

Is it true that once you get colitis you can always get it? Or is that a myth?

THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Colitis & Anal Sex

there is no correlation. Colitis is basically irritable bowel syndrome, and neuro-muscular problem. Ulcerative colitis is an inflammation issue.

Nevertheless, anal sex can cause fissures, hemmroids, and other painful rectal problems, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

I have had Ulcerative Colitus for almost 20 years, its not there all the time. I get attacks about once a year (never during pregnancy), it won't be cured, its always in the background, just sometimes it can hide for quite a while.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, anal sex that has transmitted something to cause inflammation can cause proctitis (colitis of the rectum) -- that would include an STD, virus, bacteria, parasite...etc.

Colitis is inflammation.....not an irritation as above stated. Ulcerative colitis is a specific disease. It's still a colitis.

If one has colitis....an inflammation of the colon or rectum....unless properly treated it will always be a problem if one tends to continue to inflame the area (eg...anal sex).

Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is a chronic disease that has no cure. Medications are required to treat flares and possibly maintain a remission state.

It could also be possible that one would already have had UC and not recognise symptoms....have anal sex.....symptoms will become apparent....assume it's caused by anal sex.

Colitis is a very loose term used for UC....it's not specific enough in my mind.

THNew13.....are you meaning Ulcerative Colitis....or just colitis in a generic sense? Clarity would help.

quincy

Old 04-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Quincy,
Well you learn something new every day.

I didn't know that colitus was an inflammation and different to Ulcerative Colitus.
In the past when people have said they have colitus I just assumed they had UC like me.
Thanks for that

Old 04-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #6

THNew13 HB User

I'm not exactly sure if it is UC or general colitis.

my question is.. if the male is clean (disease free), does the actual act of anal sex cause colitis to reappear? or does colitis reappear due to virii or bacteria in the colin or rectum?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I think there could always be a risk with anal sex whether one has colitis or not. That I would mean for both partners.

Ulcerative colitis starts at the anus/rectum...the very thought of having anal sex while having UC (which I have) gives me a "pita".

Colitis meaning inflammation of the colon could mean anywhere in the colon, not necessarily with the anus/rectum involved.

If it is an interest, I would strongly suggest always using a condom (so that the transmission of anything doesn't go either way) as well as lots of lubricant as to not cause any physical tearing (which could set one up for other problems if the anus/rectum is already compromised from inflammation.

Be well,
quincy

Closed Thread