It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

Marblehead HB User
Ex Lax??

I think this is where I should be posting this. I just took Ex Lax pills (2) for the first time. Of course I had to look up info online about it and I am confused. I guess not having taken a laxative before I was unaware that there are different kinds. The one I took was a stimulant laxative. Are there any dangerous side effects to these? Online it said that you should contact your dr. if you get a rapid heartbeat, dizzyness. I didnt like seeing that at all. I get heart palpatations and skipping heartbeat sometimes so I am now worried. All I wanna do is relieve constipation and now I am worried about a rapid heartrate and fainting. Can anyone help me to understand this "stimulant" laxative thing? How long before this is out of my system? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
(male)

AmericanSensei HB User
Re: Ex Lax??

You know what really sucks...When you take these "stimulant" laxative pills, and your stool is too hard to push it out....Made for a very interesting night..........Now as far as lasting effects....They say it usually causes bowel movements within 6 to 12 hours...I got intense contractions on the 4th hour......

In all honesty, I took at 6pm, and by 6am the next morning the contractions and effects were gone.

If your still constipated, I cannot stress enough to you that you consider an Enema...Those puppies work like something you wouldn't believe. For me atleast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

ANY medications can cause a side effect - stimulant just means it stimulates the bowels. That's what I take when I need it because throughout my life I get bouts where I don't go for a week or 2 because I get NO urge at all and I need to "stimulate". This isn't something that should be taken regularly because after time your body will depend on this for stimulation and won't do it naturally. I guess I take it about once every 5 years or so.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Dtownstew HB User

I hear you on the needing relief part. I suffer with constipation once or twice a month. If the Ex-lax doesn't work, try these. Or, try these when you have trouble next.

I know they sounds invasive and gross, but try a glycerin suppository. It works in 15-20 min. for me, and no after effects. Plus, they are gentle, and not suppose to be very habit forming.

All you do it put it in as far as you can, and than just retain it as long as you can. Let me know how you make out.

I know it's a tough thing to discuss, but good for us all to communicate.

Take care,
Matt

Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

Marblehead HB User

Thanks for the replies. The Ex Lax worked. I was also queasy the next day and didnt go to work. Is this normal? I dont think I will use the stimulant laxative thing again. It literally woke me up in the middle of the night. I was cramping bad and had to run to the bathroom. And then the next day it was still working. But like i said after I couldnt go anymore I was just queasy and felt "Blah" for the entire day.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

No, it really shouldn't have made you queasy - but like I mentioned before, any medication can give any side effect. Usually I'll get really bad cramping, go several times over several hours and that's it. (don't be surprised if you don't go for a few days now)

Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
(female)

suem HB User

I tried XLax a few months ago. It cramped me so bad I went to see the doctor the nexr day. Also had a rash so the ingredient is senna and I plan NOT to try that again. suem

Old 04-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Dtownstew HB User

Yea, I hear you. I had the same feeling after taking Ex-lax too.

Let me know if how you make out with my suggestion. Not a bad idea to buy them before it happens....as you can use them right when the problem occurs if you have time.

Glad you feel better!
-Matt

Old 04-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #9

FireWoman HB User

Before I had IBS, I would take ex-lax for occassional use when I would have bad constipation. I remember the ENTIRE next day i would feel sick to my stomach. I remember thinking to myself that if I had to take ex-lax, I could pretty much write off the entire next day as I would be worthless. I would feel queezy, and just icky - for lack of better word. Now that I have IBS i don't go near the stuff. It would send me straight to the ER.

Closed Thread