It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
(male)

big budha HB User
One (1) finger-like external hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoidectomy? -- Or just live with it!

Holy cow -- what a find Ė you-all that is.

Iíve been surfing this site for the last few days with one hand on my mouse and the other on my exit-sign in shock. Iím more confused now than ever. But I do really-really appreciate the chatter about this topic, but man o man Ė talk about focusing on the pain.

My story,
41 years old, male, 5'11", 190lbs, suffering from the same single external hem for about 5 years; lives with a raw finger sticking out his hole 24/7; a finger that has bleed and mucus-ed through countless boxer shorts and pants, and is impossible to wipe around without more blood. I have had periods where there is no blood, but the fecal mess is all-the-time -- unless of course Iím at home where I can hit the shower.

Pain? Not really. I canít say the pain is in any way intense unless I bang it on something. So Iím really not in much pain. And no anemia. What I am is embarrassed. I can only safely wear black or very dark pants, that, if I bleed through them, or stain them with feces or mucus, nobody might know butt me.

And what about sex? Iím single. So the throbbing-raw-finger is a constant embarrassment, ďhey, what's that sticking out your a-ss, a turd?Ē

Iím scheduled for a hemorrhoidectomy on April 25, 2005. Already paid the $$.

I was in a motorcycle accident where I damn nearly broke everything on the right side of my body. Arm, leg (unstable), ribs, collar bone Ė and you wanna talk about road rash? I was pulling small rocks out of my scrapes for months.

Whatís the point? Pain. Bring it on.

And say goodbye to the finger!?!

(Iím really very nervous about this, and Iím only trying to make fun of the idea to deal with the fact that this might not be the best career move).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by big budha; 04-15-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #2

bluebluerose HB User
Re: One (1) finger-like external hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoidectomy? -- Or just live with it!

Bud! I just had to reply because you made me laugh so loud and long I about popped a hemmie! Oh, god. Oh, well, wait. I think this little is called for.

Anyway, my vote is go for it. Do not be afraid. Pain is pain is pain is pain. I think you are taking the right step. Why live with something if it can be dealt with? I guess probably the reason you posted, though, is because whether it really is dealt with is still an unknown. You might just have a lot of pain for nothing, right? Or you could have a lot of pain and be cured of your extra digit problem. Right? Or, you could be in a lot of pain and be good for a while, but then one burrito too many some night, and you're back to the way you were! Or -- and I'll stop after this one -- you may be among the .1% or whatever of which the operation goes very wrong and you wake up with an extra ******** or something. Or maybe you will have that one thing that we fear -- INCONTINENCE! -- and have to wear a diaper under your black boxer shorts!

Oh, yeah, one more thing occurred to me in this age of the uninsured. You mentioned you paid for your operation already. Would you care to share what it amounted to?

But really, I think you are doing the right thing. You are looking to the future and saying: NO MORE!

Too many of us just continue to wallow in our own **** and think what's the use. You, my friend, are brave.

PS: Keep us updated.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
(male)

big budha HB User
Re: One (1) finger-like external hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoidectomy? -- Or just live with it!

bluebluerose,

Thanks for the support. Means a lot. I like to think I'm being brave about this, and I'm doing the next right thing to "correct" somthing that most of the holistic approaches in the world balked on, but is it unnessessary? I mean, in my painless case, is a Hemorrhoidectomy an unnessessary, overly painful event.

The only thing that ever worked for me, to reduce the thing for a while is when I spent some time in SE Asia. In this region of the world there are no toilet bowls. Just a santary-type hole in the ground where you squat and deliver. And no toilet paper. You pour water down there, and let it leak into the hole. Sounds ridiculous, but once you get the hang of it, you realize that the hem damage you have is your own doing. This is why [westerners, me] have this problem [I believe]; the toilet, and diet and stress. In these "developing" parts of the world, you don't really see the hem issue. Makes you wonder who's really developed, and who isn't.

Believe it of not, I paid $450, plus 2 visits (one before, one after) at $40 for a total of $540 at Bellvue Hospital here in New york City. It's a city health clinic attached to the hospital. Aside from most of the lowclass-schmucks working there, I can tell the surgeon is really on the ball. Sharp mind -- great hands -- and experince up the kazoo.

I appreciate that statistic, as I've seen it before, and heard it out of the sugeons mouth, that there is about a 1% chance of a blundered operation -- or damaging the shpincter which creates incontenence -- and pain.

and whats your story bluebluerose? Contempleting it -- or had it done?

Your's, rolling the dice,
--Bud

Last edited by big budha; 04-16-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

How about just the injection into the hemmhoroid? They inject something (I don't know WHAT!) into it and it shrivels it. I had that done, but then when I had it REALLY bad 4 years later I had the "clot" removed - the pain wasn't bad at all after that, 2 reg. strength Tylenol helped after the numbness wore off and I didn't need any more after that at all. now this was NOT a hemmoroidectamy, just a lancing and the removing of the clot. That was in 2002, and though I've had it come and go every few weeks, it isn't there ALL the time.

Last edited by Sunlover; 04-16-2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
(male)

big budha HB User

7 days till H-day. (removal -- that is).

I called my surgeon and left a message asking to speak with him at least one more time before I commit 100% to the external Hem-ectomy. I have a short list of about 11 questions that still need answers. Items that I learned from reading this swell board -- and mainly the "hem blues" thread from start to finish; excellent testimonial indeed.

My biggest concern is that I'm a recovered Drug addict, and might opt to shy away from all afterparty drugs all-together. I had a many-year bout with heroin and methodone, (and crack), and I simple can't go back there. It's been over 10 years away, but consuming pain killers for a few weeks could be life threatening. But is it possible to withstand the constant a-hole pain for weeks and weeks? I'll be leaning mostly on the warm after-baths. And only a spinal and local during the surgery.

I'm taking 1 table spoon of psyblium per day (the fiber stuff that taste like dirt) for bulk and ease of flow. Really works.

I'll also me meditating quite a bit.

I only have a week off for this. Hope it's enough.

peace.

--Bud

Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
(male)

big budha HB User

gulp -- tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

You will be very happy with the result that your surgery will bring you tomorrow. You can expect a good amount of rectal pain post operatively. The pain medication they will prescribe for you will work somewhat but will most likely feel as if they aren't lasting until the next pill can be taken. Take Motrin in between your prescribed med. Do the sitz baths frequently. Take Metamucil as directed to keep your bowel movements soft. This area heals slower than other areas because it is not exposed to the air. You have the advantage of having an external hemorrhoidectomy done rather than an internal one, which is more painful. You will get through it fine. Expect a greater amount of pain the first several days after surgery but then you will be on the upward climb. Don't opt to not take the pain meds because you are a recovered addict. You were strong enough to stop them prior to this - you'll need them now for a short-term basis and then you can get on with your life again from there. This surgery will alleviate a lot of your problems.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #8

FireWoman HB User

Hey Big Budda,

I also need to have a large external skin tag removed as it is driving me crazy. It is about 2/3 of an inch long and swells every time I have a BM - soft or not. I think I even got a fissure by the skin tag and I believe the skin tag is causing my fissure to not heal properly because it keeps pulling down on it, and ripping it open - FUN!! I am scheduled to go see my surgean in 2 weeks, so we'll see what he says.

Ok, now on to you. It is scarey when you are a recovering addict and to be faced with the same meds that got you in that situation in the first place. In my heart of hearts, I really think that you need to discuss this with your surgean. I am sure he sees these kinds of cases all the time as they are fairly common, and may be able to prescribe something that is less addictive. Or, He may prescribe something for the first 3 days ONLY (which are supposed to be the most painful), and limit it to those 3 days only, with no re-fills. After that, you may have to solely rely on sitz baths and over the counter pain killers. You know, a lot of people of the "hemorrhoidectomy blues" thread were unable to take the prescription pain meds because of the constipation that it caused them - so they relied on motrin etc.. and sitz baths MANY times a day to get them through the initial first weeks. I just don't know if it is worth going down that road again. I have never been an addict so I have no idea what it is like, but I do know that you have dome so well and you don't want to take ANY steps backwards in the recovery of your addiction. When my first surgean was going to perform a hemorrhoidectomy, he told me that he only wanted me to take the precription pain meds for 3 days ONLY because of the constipation isuue. I guess this might be standard procedure in some cases. Anyway, I would just hate to see you go down that road again. Strong or not - people slip ya know. I would DEFINITELY talk to your surgean about your past addiction problems and see what he thinks.

Just my two cents. Oh, and PLEASE keep us updated. I am dying to know how you do. MAybe based on your outcome, I may or may not go through with my skin tag surgery.

Looking forward to hearing from you and good luck!!

Dana

Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
(male)

big budha HB User

External hemorrhoidectomy (1) -- update,

Wow, what a day.

The best part is -- itís over.

The day started at the hospital at 6:00 am; surgery was at 8:00am; over by 9:05.

tubes and wires and monitors and teams of MDs and -- all for my sick a-s-s.

The doctor said, ďIt went perfect.Ē

But boy is my a-s-s SCREAMING. Not during, or immediately (2hrs) after Ė but right now. Once that spinal wore off.

I refused all pain-meds while at the hospital: except the spinal.

I heard every word. (Doctors talking).

I left with a prescription for Tylenol 3 (Codeine) -- 20 tabs, ďno refill.Ē

Iíve taken 1 pill so far.

Iím typing standing up. Hurts too much to sit. Kneeling on a pillow feels pretty good too. (Sort of like praying).

On pain,
I gotta say, the worst pain was once I started to get feeling back, and for about 3 hours thereafter. By midday I was feeling a little better, and eventually I was walking around in my robe and slippers looking for the exit.

I walked out the hospital on my own at about 5pm. And, slowly but surely, made it to the subway for a bumpy ride home. I just cooked and ate a good meal, took the fiber and colace and Tylenol.

My biggest smile came when I took a shower, reached down, and, guess what? No hemorrhoid! Gone! (Just some stitches).

I got a lot of gas...

Iím going to bed; saving my energy for my first c-r-a-p (!)

Thank you for all your wonderful stories. They helped me every step of the way.

--bud

Old 04-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #10

FireWoman HB User

I am so glad it went well. I know that yu are probably in a lot of pain right now but remember, it will get better every day. Just keep those bm's soft and you should heal just fine. From what I hear, that's pretty much the key to recovery.

Keep us updated on your progress!!

Dana

Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
(female)

Rolex HB User

Big bubba,
I had this surgery in september 2004. I could not have done this w/o pain meds. - percocet.
The first 3 days were not the worst for me/ the first 6 weeks were. It was very painful. Even now, 7 months later, it is stil uncomfortable when I have B/M. but the is minimal and goes away right away..
I hope you are doing OK, maybe you weren't as bad as me.
Let us know how you are, Good luck
Rolex

Old 04-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #12

bluebluerose HB User

Yea, Bud!

What a way to spend your time off, though, huh? But in the end, there's better days ahead.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
(male)

big budha HB User

day 2,

Well alright now.

Had a long night. Kept getting up to go to the bathroom. Canít pee. Hard to do it. Gotta really focus, then relax. Then it comes Ė slowly, then stops, then I need to focus all over again. And it hurts with each relaxation.

When Iím on my feet, I feel the urge to crap coming on, but nothing. Like a false alarm. Just more gas.

I asked the MD about ďPacking.Ē He said, ďI donít pack.Ē So the false alarms have got to be from simple swelling.

8am,
I took 1 Tylenol-3, 1 Regular Tylenol, 1 advil, 1 colace (100mg), and one tablespoon of dirt (fiber) in my OJ: plus a breakfast of Oatmeal, banana, and 2 hardboiled eggs: plus about a liter of water.

The Tylenol 3 (codeine) reminds me of smack: kind of warm and carefree -- and painless. But not to emotionally consumed.

Iím able to sit on a pillow instead of standing all the time. Progress.

What is most interesting, and what I was really not expected, is that I can walk pretty well without too much intense pain. I thought Iíd be confined to the bed. I usually run 2-3 miles in the morning, but Iím not going to try that right now. But I do plan to walk a few blocks to the bank and post office today -- 70 degrees and sunny in NYC.

Iíve taken about 7 warm, below-the-belt showers so far. Now thatís relief.

Funny aside,
I bought a 12-pack of those disposal adult diapers. Got one on right now Ė for the bleeding [minimal]. I feel like my grandfather.

Iíve been bleeding and staining my pants for over 5 years now. I've had enough of that. I plan to throw out all my pants and boxer shorts and start over.

Life is good.

--bud

Last edited by big budha; 04-26-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #14

FireWoman HB User

I am so glad that you are feeling pretty good - and on your second day no less

Yes, you will feel a pressure sensation inside that will feel like you have to have a BM but it's just the swelling. It can be a little frustrating because you don't now if it's swelling or if you really have to have a bm. Now, if the meds are making you feel a bit constipated my doctor told me to stay away from harsh laxatives like Dulcolax or ex-lax. They will give you a burning diarrhea that is not helpful for your recovery. He told me to try Milk of Magnesia instead. It is not a stimulant laxative so it should not cause cramps or diarrhea. Just PLEASE try not to get constipated or you will cause yourself some un-necessary pain and it will impede your recovery.

Just relax, walk, but DONT OVERDUE IT!! Make sure you relax as much as possilble and conserve that energy to heal your body. Sometimes this operation can take months or even up to a year to feel fully recovered. Try not to get frustrated. That area is one of the toughest to heal and it takes time - so listen to your body. If you need to stay in bed all day because you are having a particularly hard day - do it. IF you need to relax in a warm bath 10 times a day to help with pain control - do it. Just keep in mind that it will get better and this experience will one day be a distant memory.

Also, make sure that you recognize those addiction warning signs. I am sure you know them well, but you don't want to go down that road again. Ok, now I just sound bossy. I assure you, I am not being bossy and relly, you don't have to take all or any of this advice. I am just worried about you and want you to recover and have a wonderful rest of your life - free from butt worries

Keep us updated!! We're here for ya!!

Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
(male)

big budha HB User

I learned the importance of sharing personal experiences in AA. There is nothing more valuable in terms of individual recovery than sharing oneís own story with people who still suffer. From that, my own personal recovery is furthered. Hence, the reason I see it fit to keep reporting back on this board. I was freely given information from the people on this board, and now, Iím simply adding my own experience to the mix. Nothing in my rant should be implicated as ďadvice.Ē Because it isnít. It is only my experience with hemorrhoids, and a subsequent hemorrhoidectomy on Monday, April 25, 2005

Day 3,
I woke up quite sore this morning but had a much better night sleep. The pain was acute right on the spot, and somewhat throbbing. Advil has always worked for me at remedying tooth pain or headache pain. So this morning I took 600mg Ibuprofen [Advil] and 1/2 a Tylenol-3 [Codeine]. Since I was enjoying the Codeine a little too much, I decided to cut the dose in half. Worked fine with the Advil to get the pain under control.

I had the same breakfast as yesterday: 2 eggs with oatmeal and a banana. Plus, 1 tablespoon of fiber [psyllium husk] with OJ. Also, 1 tablespoon Milk of Magnesia and a 100mg Colace.

I drink a lot of water. About 6 of those .5L bottles of Poland Springs per day.

I do not use nicotine, alcohol, caffeine or other drugs than the ones mentioned, nor do I eat refined sugars of any sort. No junk food at all. I eat piles of vegetables, any meat, chix, or fish I please and rice, potato or pasta for starch. Lots of apples.

Itís still hard for me to tell what is a genuine urge to have a BM or just swelling.

Immediately after breakfast, I had a BM -- the second since the surgery. I would imagine this is the closest Iíll ever get to understanding the pain associated with childbirth. It hurts, but not to the point of it being unbearable. Once the movement starts coming, I can get most of it out in a single light-push. And once itís out, I feel like a prizefighter.

On to the shower,
Rather than sitting in the tub, I have found the shower works best for me. Iíll tell you why: firstly, itís a constant flow of clean water, and secondly, I can control the temperature. What I do is start off with warm water as a rinse, and plenty of Ivory soap. Then I do surges of ice-cold water right on the spot. Hold it there for as long as I can, then go back to warm / hot. I do this 3-4 times or until I feel no pain at all. Really works so far at bring the swelling down.

Exercise,
Gotta do it. Or Iíll be constipated, and delirious. Walking is about all I can get away with right now, and itís kind of an old man shuffle I do that looks like Iím carrying a broken bottle up my a-s-s. I carry a cane with me so that people get the idea that Iím not 100% -- especially when crossing streets. I donít really have any pain walking, but Iíll stop for a minute if I feel a lot of pressure in the spot. I like being outside in the fresh air. I do deep breathing.

During my procedure, I over heard my surgeon mention to someone in the operation room that he uses 2 types of dissolving stitches; for the deep parts of the wound 3-week-ers, and for the surface 1-week. I imagine these are the junctions that I should start to feel more pain, and start seeing some blood.

So far Iím pleased with the way things are going and have no regrets.

Closed Thread