It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
(male)

kewpie HB User
Very hard stools?

This is so embarassing, but I've been having hard stools which can be very painful to pass. Sometimes there is also blood. (But the blood is only present if the stool is extremely painful) Could this be due to not getting enough fiber and/or excersize? When I used to walk 2 miles a day I seemed to have softer stools. Now that I've stopped walking my stools seem to be very hard. I'm so scared that this could be a symptom of colon cancer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Very hard stools?

Bleeding IS a symptom of colon cancer but I don't think you need to worry about that at this time. The blood is most likely related to the hard stools you are trying to pass. You are sometimes having to push harder than usual and this can cause small tears in your rectum/colon. You can try taking Metamucil (as directed) to help keep your bowel habits from changing. Increase your fiber intake. From the sounds of it, you have conditioned your body to be more mobile than it has been lately. Exercise is a great way to remain "regular".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
(male)

kewpie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithn
Bleeding IS a symptom of colon cancer but I don't think you need to worry about that at this time. The blood is most likely related to the hard stools you are trying to pass. You are sometimes having to push harder than usual and this can cause small tears in your rectum/colon. You can try taking Metamucil (as directed) to help keep your bowel habits from changing. Increase your fiber intake. From the sounds of it, you have conditioned your body to be more mobile than it has been lately. Exercise is a great way to remain "regular".
I feel so depressed lately and don't feel like doing anything but sleep all the time. I was wondering how long should one take Metamucil before your body becomes dependant one it?

Last edited by kewpie; 04-18-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 PM   #4

FireWoman HB User

Metamucil can be taken everyday for the rest of your life. It is not a laxative and is not habit-forming. It has to say "laxative" on the label because of some strange FDA rule, but it is not a laxative. It is an all natural fiber product that helps make your stool softer by absorbing water. Things like Ex-Lax, Dulcolax and Correctol are actual laxatives that are habit forming. Watch out for those.

Closed Thread