It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
(male)

eternity555 HB User
metamucil will cause diareha?

Hi...
my stools are kinda loose, and sometimes no "stool matter" in them.. just the undigested food...
will metamucil and fiber soluble supplements will help me get the stool bulkier? or will just cause more dierah?thnx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: metamucil will cause diareha?

it should cause the stool to get a lot bulkier. Sometimes for me it gets TOO bulky through using metamucil.

If you are having diarrhea, try cutting out diary and rich food from the diet. Really rich fatty food can give me diarrhea on occassion, especially if I mix it with alcohol. Alcohol is a GI irritant, and the fatty food causes you to go.

Also try eating more salad and roughage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have used psyllium for years to supplement my diet with water soluble fiber. It will bulk up your stool and help with the diarrhea. But, you need other insoluble fiber also-- Metamucil at times can bulk up you stool too much.

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly-- it needs to be divided between both soluble and insoluble fiber!!!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Metamucil keeps the stool soft - it doesn't promote or cause diarrhea - it helps to keep a person regular. Bulk up your stools naturally by changing your diet.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Also, find a good probiotic (acidolphilus) to help get the flora in your intestines back to normal. Sometimes this is all it takes. Be sure to include healthy grains in your diet, and drink lots of good water. Avoid white flour products, as there's not any nutritional benefit in these foods. Look for whole wheat, not enriched, whole-grain Basmati brown rice, and oat bran or steel-cut oats for the best fiber sources. You can get psyllium capsules, they really help. Avoid dairy, corn and soy products. If you must have milk, get the lactose-free. If your diarrhea persists, you may have developed an intolerance to gluten or another food. Do some web-searching on diarrhea and it's causes for more information.

If it persists, you need to have some stool-testing done by your doctor.

Closed Thread