It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

kay21 HB User
should i be worried about my colonoscopy/egd results?

I got the results of my EGD and colonoscopy. After sevaral biopsies, this is what was found:

Mild inflammation of the dudoenum;
Hyperplastic polyp on the antral; and
Terminal Ileum Lymphoid Hyperplasia.

Technically my doctor did not give me these results. I got these results from someone else who works for my HMO. After the procedures, the GI doctor told me that he would review my results with me in 6 weeks. He does not know that I know these results, but now that I do, I am worried. Should I request an earlier appointment? I am upset that my doctor now has these results and is not planning to meet with me sooner. I do not want any of these problems to get worse and I am sure they can in 6 more weeks.

Anyone familiar with any of these diagnoses? Should I be worried? Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: should i be worried about my colonoscopy/egd results?

The Doctors put you off like this. He probably thinks that these won't get any worse in 6 weeks.
The good thing is you now have the results and can do some research about what the treatment should be and the questions that you can be ready to ASK!!!

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-02-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
Re: should i be worried about my colonoscopy/egd results?

Why don't you just call your doctor and ask him what it means? It's your health.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

I'm shocked that an HMO rep. gave you these results. You certainly have the right to your results much sooner than your 6-week follow up appointment. You should have called there and told them that your lawyer told you that it would be a good idea to get know your results

The very first part of your small intestine is called your Duodenum. When there is inflammation of that tissue, it is called duodenitis. This type of inflammation can be caused by a bacterial infection, or taking arthritis medications and pain drugs such as aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn or many others. Sometimes it's mild and other times, severe.

The stomach is J-shaped and is divided into three general areas. The upper part of the stomach near your throat is called the fundus, the middle section of the stomach is called the body, and the bottom portion of the stomach where the pyloric sphincter is located is called the Antrum. Your surgeon found a hyperplastic or (non-cancerous) polyp there.

As for the Terminal Ileum Lymphoid Hyperplasia, your lymph follicles in your intestine are enlarged and are showing protrusions of the mucosa (lining).

With these results, you don't need to make a sooner appointment but be sure to keep the one you have! Also, get a copy of your operative and pathology for your personal files!

Because a polyp was found, you should have follow up endoscopies every 2-3 years.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
(female)

kay21 HB User

Thanks for the reply Smithn! My doctor called me the other day (after I read your comment) and you were right on the money. Anyway, he pretty much said everything you did in your reply. He will be checking up on my hyperplastic polyp in 2 years. He's leaning towards an IBS diagnosis at this time. I am still a little worried about the mild inflammation of the duodenum though...I don't want it to get worse or lead to an ulcer. And I am hoping that it isn't something more serious like Hpylori or Crohn's/IBD. Anyway, thanks for the reply again!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

peebles2 HB User
Question Re: should i be worried about my colonoscopy/egd results?

hi anyone giving advice.i had a gastroscopy nearly 4 weeks ago showing duodenitis,i also had a colonoscopy which a biopsy of the terminal ileum was taken as there were prominent lyphoid follicles,and symptoms sound like IBSseemingly still getting stomach pain and diahorrea,also mucus discharge,sorry about in depth descripton.i have received a letter to go back to hospital to see the consultant on the 4th march iam a bit worried now,but have phoned my GP surgery but no results back on biopsies,anyone had similar experience,and what was outcome. thanx!!!!!

Closed Thread