It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
(female)

chester4 HB User
prep is wednesday need support not to cancel

Hi, I am trying to hang tough but am loosing sleep. SO anxious I know the blood pressure is high don't think I can go through with this!

Old 07-18-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: prep is wednesday need support not to cancel

Chester4,

Take a deep breath and let that anxiety go. The prep is the hardest unless you really like sitting on the toilet. It sounds like your husband had one done so you know about the prep. I bought a couple of new magazines and gathered any needed supplies so I could camp out in the bathroom. I also gave myself a pedicure to keep busy.

The colonoscopy itself is the easiest because you don't remember anything. I remember them starting the meds and then magic--I was back in the little room with my husband. I've had two done and they have pretty much been the same.

What to do between now and Wednesday? Keep busy. When a negative, anxiety thought comes into your head--tell it "get out, I'm going to be fine" Then quickly find something that occupies your mind--talking to someone, getting busy on a project at work, playing a game on the computer--anything that requires your concentration.

Hang in there, we're here for you.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

lisajc HB User

Hi, Don't cancel!! The prep isn't fun I'll admit that but.. the procedure is a piece of cake. Whatever drugs they give you relax you. You don't remember a thing. I hate any drugs as I am allergic to some but these work great. The procedure takes about 20 min. I think. I am going for another on August 1st. (my 5 years is up!!).

You feel fine when you wake up just a little groggy. By the time I got home I was back to normal. Of course you can't drive but look at it like you get the day off.

I am certain after it is all over you will be among the rest of us who will be encouraging others to go through with it because it is not that bad!!
Lisa

Good Luck!!

Let us know when it's over.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

chester4 HB User

thanks for the encouragement I will try all the tricks, the pedicure sounds good too. I think I am mostly afraid that they will find something. I had some red blood a couple of months ago after a BM and straining. I am hoping it was just the hemms. Bm's are normal I go at least once a day if not twice. No blood in stool. I am trying hard to do this!

Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

lisajc HB User

Before my first colonoscopy I had tuns of blood at different times. My scope was clean. I am sure yours will be too! What peace of mind you will have when it is over.

I don't know if you like to read but it is such a good escape!! I am female (43) and here are some of the quick read authors I like. Kate White, Sandra Brown, Lisa Gardner, Joy Fielding, Diana Diamond, Sidney Sheldon, Nicholas Sparks, LaVeryl Spencer, I guess the list could go on and on but these are really good writers that keep your attention and your mind off of OTHER THINGS! (LOL)

Talk soon, Lisa

Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
(female)

chester4 HB User

Thanks Lisa I am 52 and female, I do like Sydney Sheldon, haven't read in awhile but may give it a try! Sandra Brown is good too! She is the spicy one I think LOL! What was your blood from? could they tell you? I do need that piece of mind that is the only thing that keeps me ontrack to go!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
(female)

lisajc HB User

Hi, I was looking at my post and I spelled tons wrong! I think I'm going crazy sometimes. The blood was from horrible hemorrhoids and a fissure. I just had 2 internal hems banded and a prolapsed papilla removed. Now I go for a colonoscopy on August 1st. I'll be doing a lot of reading..LOL. I also have 4 sons to keep me busy!

Sandra Brown's new books are mystery/love stories real good!!

Lisa

Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

chester4 HB User

going back and forth re canceling but I sure don't want all this anxiety to be for nothing! I will try a book tonight and tomorrow after work I care for my beautiful one year old grandaughter who will keep me very busy!! Glad to have you guys!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

Chester!!!

DONT even consider cancelling the colonoscopy!!!!!
Then u will never know and wont have peace of mind.. Get it done! The proecdure is painless and at least then u will know where u stand..
Please ..

Regards
Maz

Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
(female)

chester4 HB User

Maz, I just think some of my irrational anxiety and I know it is irrational! is due to menopausal symptoms but regardless it is overwhelming me. I mean I am getting sick! headaches no sleep can't eat!!I was considering calling my doctor to make an appointment as maybe I need to take something for it?? But I don't think I can do this now!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #11
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

It probably would be good to call the doctor to let them know about how much anxiety you are having. Maybe there is something that can get you through the next couple of days so you can get the colonoscopy done.

Call the doctor's office and ask them. About two weeks before I had my resection done, I was getting anxious so I went in and talked with my family doctor about it. It really helped me to get his support and his take on things.

You don't want to cancel because you'll just continue to have anxiety wondering what is going on. You've weathered it this long so call the doctor's office and see what they can do for you.

Maggie

Old 07-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

You really need to get it done and over with. I too was scared to death to have my 1st one. I have Crohns and for many years I refused to have one done. After I had the 1st one I wondered what on earth was I so scared of. It was a piece of cake. the prep is worse then the actuall scope.
I know your worried that they will find something terrible. But I really doubt it just sounds like you had blood from straining to go or a hem. You can do this and you will.! Be strong and get through this you''ll be so so relieved that you did it. Please don't cancell .You know that you have to get through this and you will. Its impossible to to worry I'm the same way myself.
I'll be thinking of you Wed.Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
(male)

stoakesy HB User

Listen but you probably won't like what I say.......... Just read the sorry situation that some of the people who are writing on this board are in. Some of them have serious reason to worry, compare your symptoms, if you were in the UK just because you have in the past passed blood and you are a HM sufferer, you wouldnt even be reccomended for a colonoscopy. You dont have any of the serious symptoms that Im sure you have read about on the net. Stop frightening yourself and just do it. Even when I was dripping blood as soon as I opened my sphinctre I never once thought of cancelling.
GOOD LUCK AND RELAX.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #14
(female)

chester4 HB User

you are all right and I often feel that I have no right to even be nervous. I have said prayers for many of the folks on these boards and am thankful as to how lucky I am. I do however have major anxiety issues due to menopause and being an adult child of an alcoholic. I have only very recently discovered this and it has been very hard. If I cancel I promise that it will only be temporarily until I get emotionally stable enough to do something that may be at all stressful. I hope everyone understands that I do not mean to not take advice I do appreciate all of your comments and Stokesy you are wrong I do appreciate what you said and that makes my anxiety and decision all the harder. I appreciate my great health insurance and the health care I have access too and am involved in trying to make those things available for everyone. I hope I can get some antidepressant or antanxiety agent to help me Thank you all again you are all wonderful people!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
(female)

lisajc HB User

Hi I posted earlier and it didn't take, sorry. I think you have to what's best for you. I suffered from panic attacks for a few years and now only very rarely have them but I know how horrible they are. I still suffer from general anxiety but I try not to let it rule my life. Going to see your pcp is a good start.

I wish you well,

Lisa

Closed Thread