It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Diarrhea that won't go away!

I started not feeling well Friday night, had some diarrhea. Saturday I limited my diet to mashed potatoes and some chicken rice soup, and ginger ale. Felt a little better. Yesterday same thing, felt better. Last night I decided to eat a ham sandwich with my mashed potatoes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but today I have horrible diarrhea again. It's very loose and very light in color.

I DO have IBS, but these are not my usual symptoms. I know what I can and can't eat that causes my IBS to flare up. This is DEFINITELY not it. I'm wondering if it's just a stomach bug that I can't seem to get rid of or what. What do light colored stools mean? And I mean yellow almost...

Old 08-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
(male)

Jask HB User
Re: Diarrhea that won't go away!

I have had Chronic Diarrhea since I entered my teens. So I've a few ideas on the subject.

You did not feel well to begin with? Sounds like something you ate really got to you. Since it was your stomach that suffered the most, it needs time to recover. Right now your stomach's still upset and foods that don't normally cause you Diarrhea will do so.

For me, it will be consistent. If my stomach is upset, I cannot tolerate things like Pizza. However, if I give it time, a couple weeks later I can devour as much Pizza as I see fit. So I have come to realize that the effects food has on a stomach depend on how the stomach is feeling. This won't just recover over night and some food poisoning has caused one of my parents to have trouble for up to six months.

If you do this enough times, you may learn when certain foods are good to eat, and when they will give you trouble. However, I don't recommend going through all this if you can help it.

To give myself relief from such Diarrhea, I tend to rely on a nifty little pill called Imodium AD. If you wish to learn more about it, google it. I would recommend trying it based on the instructions it has and see what it does for you. Don't be surprised, if it works, to not use the toilet for several days. Certainly donít over use it.

http://www.***********/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=Imodium+AD&btn G=Search

However, while you might be able to temporarily stop the Diarrhea with a solution such as above. Remember that your stomach will still be sensitive to more foods than normal until it recovers. Getting back to normal is an uphill battle and your progress can go backwards if the food you eat continues to upset your stomach.

Good luck with it, and if this continues to be a problem something else might be wrong that requires a doctor. Keep that in mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #3
(female)

Zipity HB User

Thanks Jask for responding! That sounds like me! I have to sort of "feel out" how my stomach is feeling to see what I can eat. If my stomach is upset, I can't eat salad, or other raw veggies....other days, like you said, I can devour it. And pepto bismol is my medicine of choice. lol

This is not my "normal" stomach-is-upset-and-I-can't-tolerate-it diarrhea. This is MUCH worse, so I'm thinking something I ate is just not just settling right in my stomach. I did eat mashed potatoes yesterday and I was ok, and today I feel ok. i think I'll stick to mashed potatoes for a few more days.

Thanks again for responding!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
(male)

RingOFire HB User

I think that happens to everyone at some point in life. I got it so bad one time that I thought I was going to die sitting on the crapper! You might have picked up a virus or ate some bad food. Sometimes I just don't eat to allow my stomach to calm down and deal with whatever issues it has without trying to digest food at the same time. I do drink plenty of fluids so I don't get dehydrated. I second the Imodium AD recommendation... it usually does the trick getting things back to normal again.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

Zipity HB User

Yeah, I got Salmonella once from some bad lettuce I ate on a sub. Ugh that was TERRIBLE. But with that I had chills, fever, BAD stomach cramps. This I don't. My stomach feels fine. No cramping, just an urgent need to poop all darn day! lol I feel like I'm going to die on the crapper too, not because I feel miserable, but because I feel like I'm never going to stop pooping! lol Ugh, it's so bad. I ate some mashed potatoes again today so I'll see how I feel...

Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
(male)

Jask HB User

I'll have to figure out what pepto bismol does to check it out for myself. Sure google has me covered there when I finish posting.

What is curious is you believe this is worse than just an upset stomach? Sorry to hear it. Although I am wondering if something else was behind the problem, how you'd remain off the toilet Saturday and before dinner Sunday night?

As for it being much worse. The description of loose and light in color. That's like normal Diarrhea to me. Maybe my perception is off, because I'm given liquid stools often by merely my stomach's reaction to whatever it doesn't tolerate.

Take it from me though; you don't want this to continue. Long term Diarrhea has worse side effects than visiting your toilet. I didn't have secondary problems until five years worth. So with any luck you have time. With your concern about it, maybe a doctor can help you figure it out.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
(female)

Zipity HB User

Well, it's MUCH lighter in color and very watery. My normal upset stomach isn't that watery or light. And it normally doesn't last this long. Whatever I eat that upsets my stomach, once it's gone, it's done. And the way I stayed off the toilet Saturday and Sunday was to just eat mashed potatoes, crackers, and some chicken rice soup. Once I realized this wasn't my normal upset stomach I turned to REALLY bland food. That seemed to have helped.

And pepto bismol helps me MAJORLY, but turns my poop black. lol

Closed Thread