It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

want-it-to-end HB User
Unhappy 8 Weeks Of Diarrhea

I am 28 yrs old & brand new to this site & I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced what I have been experiencing. For the last 8 weeks I have had cramping, nausea and diarrhea. I have IBS, and always have seemed to have diarrhea on & off. But nothing compared to what I have been dealing with. I have had blood tests & stool tests done & everything has came back negative. can it be caused from stress? My brother is experiencing something similiar & his is due to stress (but he is not having the diarrhea). My diarrhea seems to be the worst in the morning & early evening. I have lost about 15 pounds & still seem to be losing because I can eat VERY limited foods (rice, white bread, turkey meat, boiled chicken). I am scared that something bad is wrong (although my doctor said nothing is since the tests came back negative). I have become quite depressed over this & very irritable!

Old 08-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
(female)

zeez HB User
Re: 8 Weeks Of Diarrhea

Hi there,

I have chronic diarrhea (2+years) too and it is killing me. I've tried a bunch of things attempting to get it in control with no success. I've thought a lot about what may have triggered it and continues to aggravate it. Two weeks ago my doc took me off one of my anti-depressants to see if that would alleviate it. Nope!

Things I have found: yes, stress does make it worse. Insoluble fiber in large amounts makes it worse (like lots of broccoli, cauliflower, brussells sprouts, etc). I read a link listed on one of the "sticky"" messages on this board about diarrhea and something I had not realized is considered a laxative is caffeine. Do you drink a lot of colas or coffee? I do and I'm TERRIBLY addicted. I just discovered that info a few days ago and have come to the realization that if I want to get my guts fixed, I had better cut down on my Diet Dr Pepper. I just haven't done it yet - I can't bear to give them up.

On another note, when your symptoms started, can you think of anything in your life that changed? Something in your diet, vitamins, meds, anything? Just a thought.

Good luck!
~zeez
PS Welcome to the boards!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

There is a board specifically devoted to Irritable Bowel Syndrome... Post your questions over there about the disorder, and you might find people who can be more helpful, as they go through the same thing.

Either way, I would suggest a colonoscopy.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

g-daddy HB User

Hey zeez,
you can always get caffeine free Dr. Pepper

Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: 8 Weeks Of Diarrhea

I would try taking a probiotic supplement and eating a good brand of yogurt.

In a healthy person the entire intestinal walls are lined with friendly bacteria. When it gets out of balance you can get diarrhea or constipation or alternate with both.

There are some good probiotics on the market-- cultures just reside in the villi of your small intestines and some just move through aiding digestion.

I like and use PB-8, Jarro-Dophilus, Primadophilus- Reuteri and Cultrurelle. But there are others that are good!!

Your friendly bacteria can get out of balance for many reasons. Like eating too much salty or sugary foods, alcohol, medications like antibiotics, birth control pills, pain meds-- etc and you could be intolerant to 1 or more foods??

As you know diarrhea will cause you not to absorb many vital and necessary nutrients (Malabsorption) resulting in all sorts of problems--

There are also several very good yogurts on the market-- Stonyfield Farm and Brown Cow -- I eat daily.
I also drink kefir that has alot of good friendly bacteria.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-09-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

atlmaggie HB User

Try blackberries, blackberry juice, or blackberry cider for the nausea and diarrhea. My aunt (who went through chemo) and I have both tried it and it is a great natural remedy! It helps the nausea and stops diarrhea super quick. Better than any pills the doctor gave me. I know you can order it online, I even saw it on ebay the other day, but if you have a country store in your town, they might carry it. I haven't found it in the grocery stores yet. This is such a great remedy and so little info is out there about it that I have made it my mission to tell people about it!!! Eating blackberries has the same effect, but it is super hard to eat them when you want to vomit! Hope this helps!!!

Closed Thread