It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

dawnkeyotie HB User
Post-Hemorrhoidectomy, How am I doing?

I had a hemorrhoidectomy on Wednesday, August 10th, 2005. Today is my 5th day in recovery and I'm concerned. I've read the millions of threads on here regarding hemorrhoidectomy, but am not sure which one to post to so I started a new thread. Here's my experience so far:

I had two large external hemorrhoids removed by electric scalpel or whatever it's called. One of the hems was HUGE, prolapsed, & thrombosed. My surgeon said it would most likely NOT go away and if it did, was guaranteed to return. He scheduled me for surgery the day following his visual examination of me.

The first night after surgery was agony, of course. The packing material put intense pressure on me and I had a lot of what I assume was swelling. Each day got a little bit better, but I could not poop for a few days. On Saturday, I spent the entire day feeling like I needed to poop - it would attempt to pass, but not be able to and then sort of go back up inside me, despite the fact that I had been taking MOM and mineral oil every 4 hours per the post-op instructions. By the end of the day, I was desperate, called the on-call doctor who told me it was either poop on my own within 6 hours or go to the emergency room where they would give me an enema or remove the fecal matter with their fingers. Which, clearly, I did not want to happen. By about midnight, I was desperate and had my boyfriend give me a mineral oil enema. Talk about humiliating and excrutiating! It did not generate immediate results, and I contemplated going to the emergency room but a full 24 hours of agony and stress had worn me out so I took a Percocet and went to bed.

In the morning, within 15 minutes of waking up, I was in tremendous pain from needing to poop. I got into the bathtub for a warm soak to try to get some relief and then the poop started and I could not stop it. I was screaming, crying, begging my butt to NOT go through with it, but it came anyway. It was quite large - a truly horrifying and agonizing experience - but once it started, it wouldn't stop. I figure it was about 6 days worth of backed-up fecal matter. I cleaned up as best I could and put myself to bed.

Since then, I have continued with the MOM and mineral oil and have been having largely liquid poop once or twice per day. I cannot imagine trying to pass solid material at this point in time because it is so incredibly painful.

In other regards, I am recovering somewhat. I am still in a lot of pain, but the pain pills help enough so that I can sleep for a few hours at a time. Walking around isn't too bad, sitting is sometimes bearable, laying down is uncomfortable, but there are a couple of positions that I can maintain.

My worry is the pain associated with pooping. Even though my poop is very runny (not explosive or truly liquid, but it does not maintain a shape), it is still incredibly painful to defecate. It burns and feels like it is ripping me and the pain is intense until I get a steady stream of lukewarm water running over it for a few minutes. I usually aim the removable shower head at my butt until the pain is more bearable and to try to clean it up (washing the area, wiping, any sort of touching of my anus is unthinkable) and then I take a sitz bath for a few minutes.

I am terrified of touching my anus and have not done so, so I am not sure how much swelling there is. I do not experience much bleeding nor have I noticed much discharge (but as my poops are so loose, it's pretty hard to tell). It feels swollen and like there is constant pressure around the area at all times.

Does this sound normal? Should I be concerned? I called the Dr.'s office and they feel like the chances are low that I have an infection and that I should still be experiencing a lot of pain. However, it's hard to trust them as they are the ones that assured me that a couple of days after surgery, I would be feeling a lot better, that I could resume normal work within a week, and that I would be completely healed within 2 weeks. I do not think that I will make ANY of those dates so I am not at all certain that they really know how long the recovery takes.

Sorry this is so longwinded. This is the first place I've found that can give actual feedback on the recovery from this surgery and I guess I want to be thorough. Any feedback at all is welcomed. I would be so grateful for some.
Thanks!
~dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
(male)

DIGBY67 HB User
Re: Post-Hemorrhoidectomy, How am I doing?

Dawn,
I sure hope you're feeling better.
I had my Hemectomy on the day you wrote in.
Mine was with a harmonic scapel too...I had 3 removed.
See my recent post--(Hemorrhoidectomy Swelling).
Our experiences sound pretty similar, although I think you've been having more pain than I have (I'm off the prescription meds and no major pain aside from BM).
How are you doing now?
Did the BMs get any easier for you? The swelling? Still have to be on laxatives?
Thanks,
Digby67

Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
(female)

P00hbear HB User
Re: Post-Hemorrhoidectomy, How am I doing?

Hi, this sounds like exactly what my husband went through, including the bath situation, etc. He had to go to the ER to have the packing removed because we could not remove it ourselves. The pain, there's really no way around it. He dreaded his bowel movements and did everything he could to keep them soft. He used a herbal laxative in pill form and a ointment called "bag balm", and had sitz baths for every bowel movement and several times a day besides that just to try to get better. He was back to work in two weeks, but it took 3-4 weeks for him to be completely back to normal. They also told him it would be just a few days, maybe a week, but it was definitely longer than that. It sounds like you are on track and trying to do all the right things. More sitz baths and maybe an ointment might help, but consult with your Dr. first. It's now August 20th so you might be much better now anyway.... you will make it through!

Closed Thread