It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
(male)

n0_name HB User
metamucil: pill or powder?

hi, i searched this board and found nothing regarding my question. so im just wondering what form of metamucil do think is better? pill or the powder form? thanks in advance.

Last edited by n0_name; 08-28-2005 at 03:59 AM.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: metamucil: pill or powder?

I have found that some people like the powder and some like the caps.

I like and take the psyllium brand (Equate) from Wal Mart best because it is not as fine (powdery) as Metamucil and a dose is 1/3 more psyllium and is less costly. There are other brands on the market that work OK. Also, when you mix the powder with a fluid/water you know it is well dispersed.

My wife has a hiatal hernia and finds that the powder form expands almost immediately and causes discomfort mostly pressure. So, she takes the capsules but the largest size she has found & takes is 870 mgms which is more than the Medamucil caps. She takes 3 capsules in the morning and 3 about 7 in the evening and they work for her.

As you may know psyllim is broken down by your digestive systm--- it ferments and it does produce gas so start off slowly.
Also make sure that you drink enough water with each dose and enough daily. It is a water soluble fiber supplement-- it is a stool bulking agent as well as bowel regulator.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

n0_name HB User

thanks for your help Harry!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

madre912 HB User

I am terrible at drinking large amounts of fluid so I asked a pharmacist recently which would be better to use capsule or powder metamucil?

He said that it was better to take the powder form because it breaks down faster than the capsule.

Just a note * "I" experienced some serious bloating when "I" used this product. I may have to start more slowly.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

blueskys HB User

Hi madre912,

I have tried metamucil, citracel, and fibercon. I tried tablets in citracel and fibercon. They were not consistent for me at all. And when I got up to 5 to 6 tablets a day, I actually got impacted and had more constipation problems.
With the metamucil I had a lot of bloating, diarahea. I couldn't find a balance.

My mother in law recommended "Benefiber" in the powder form.
Well I tried it. And it works wonderful. I take the powder form. I started out with 1 Tablespoon in 8 oz. of water and then I drink another 6 to 8 oz. of water. I have been taking 1 tbsp. every night at suppertime for about 5 weeks now. And it is consistent every single day. It has a slight flavor and mixes really well in water. It has 3 gm. of soluble fiber per tablespoon. And it causes no bloatness or gas, like metamucil and fibercon did. You should try it. Just try 1 dose same time every day and see how that works for you. My mother in law has been using it for 6 months now and is very consistent for her also.

Good luck...

blueskys

Last edited by blueskys; 11-12-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

blueskys,
I am glad you found a solution to your bowel problems with Benefiber !!

But, Your problem is not what alot of people have -- most have a gallbladder. They don't take and have not taken Questran that has a side-effect of constipating people with gallbladders.
Not only that make sure you keep tract of your cholesterol since that is what is primarily used to reduce. Some Doctor's think too lower level of cholesterol is not healthy.

I don't have a gallbladder and have never had bile salts diarrhea associated w/ gallbladder surgery.

Harry

Closed Thread