It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

matois HB User
Constipation after hemorrhoidectomy - help!

This is my 5th day post op after hemorrhoidectomy. Oh the pain is horrid! It didn't help matters that the doc gave me percocet which I found out causes worse constipation. I had problems after surgery, and had to be catheterized since I couldn't urinate.

Now I feel constipated. I have been taking the colace as directed every day, but didn't know anything about the fiber drinks stuff. I am in such pain, and am tempted to use a baby enema or glycerin suppository. BUT, I'm scared that this will result in an even more painful BM than if I wait it out. The doc said I should have a movement in a "couple of days after surgery" I drink lots of water and fluids, and my diet has been fairly light mostly because I haven't felt like eating. The pain meds (now changed) are making me sick to my stomach and I'm at my wit's end.

What would be a good laxative or way to relieve this constipation and get this first BM out of the way?

ANY help would be appreciated!

Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
(female)

blueskys HB User
Lightbulb Re: Constipation after hemorrhoidectomy - help!

I know what you are going through. I just had a perianal abscess with fistula surgery 4 days ago. And I like you was constipated. They told me to drink plenty of water, fruits, vegetables and take the stool softeners morning and night. That didn't work for me so my doctor told me to take 4 Tablespoons of "Milk of Magnesa" . Make sure you follow that with a full glass of water. It tastes pretty yucky. But you should see results within a few hours or sooner. It worked for me.
Then after things start moving more freely, make sure you continue taking your stool softeners, water, fruit, veggies, etc.
If we only didn't have to use it with having a bm. Good Luck !

blueskys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

matois HB User
Re: Constipation after hemorrhoidectomy - help!

I'm going to try the MoM. I was in such pain last night, I almost passed out. I feel the urge to go, but the pain is so extreme. I tried 1/2 of a baby enema and I didn't even get the water back out, which is very worrisome to me. Earlier this week, I was able to expel gas and now I can't. When I went to apply the cream the doc gave me, it feels like everything they corrected with surgery is back. I don't know whether I can wait til morning to call them, or make a trip to the ER. Now urinating is even difficult.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

blueskys HB User

Besides having my current surgery, I also had a hemoroid/fissure surgery 5 years ago. You will have swelling down in that area from the surgery. I know that I wasn't able to pass a gas bubble either from this recent surgery or the one before. And when I did, well I never realized that bad a passing bubble can be. Once you are able to go, it will be painful, but will get better day by day. I found also after you go, take a nice hot/warm sitz bath for 15 to 20 minutes after each bowel movement. That helps me a lot , with the pain and the spasms after passing a bm.

I hope the Milk of Magnesia works for you, but I understand why you may go to the emergency room. Because I did the same thing the other day, but I called the Same day Surgery part of the hospital first and they told me they couldn't do anything for me with just having the surgery and to call my doctor first. Because if the Milk of Magnesia wouldn't have worked I also was headed for the Emergency Room. Please let me know how you make out and I hope that all goes well.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Blueskys

Old 09-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
(female)

OJulie67 HB User

I am 4 weeks post op hemorrhoidectomy and I had the same trouble peeing after. I was able to go eventually on my own without a cathedar, but I know that horrible feeling! So odd!
I know your pain, as I was constipated too...and the only thing that worked for me was milk of magnesia. It was gentle, didn't cause cramping and made the first BM able to get through. It's not a fun surgery, but you are going to feel soooo much better in a few more days. You will be very glad you did it. It's been a month for me, and I feel like a new person!
Good luck!

Closed Thread