It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

Bloatedgirl HB User
Chronic Constipation + Fissure + Dark Stool

Hi all - I'm a 25 year old female with no family history (that I'm aware of) of colon cancer. I have had problems with chronic constipation for over a year now. It has come and gone at times though.

I've tried increasing my fiber and water intake, at times well above the reccomended amounts (but I admit that I am "bad" with my eating habits sometimes). I also have tried to see if any specific food is causing it (such as dairy products), but that does not seem to the be the case.

Anyways, this chronic constipation also causes my stomach to be very bloated on occassion. Also, it has caused an anal fissure (and the pain associated with one). which has come and gone several times now. Every time I get my bowel movements on the right track, it goes away, but then as soon as I have a bad bowel movement it goes away. The fissure has also been diagnosed by a gastroenterologist. It appears to be internal, but definetly on the sphincter muscles.

As I mentioned before, I have tried increasing my fiber and water intake - but even this often does not help. The only thing that has seemed to lately is 2-3 servings per day of metamucil (it seems like the soluble fiber as opposed to insoluble fiber is what helps). However, on rare occassion without the metamucil... and common (much of the time) with the metamucil, I have had dark brown or black stool.

I did get my thyroid checked as supposedly this can cause chronic constipation, but it came back normal.

Lastly, I believe that I have IBS... before the constipation, I used to get the strong (and painful) urge to have a bowel movement whenever I was in a nervous or stressful situation.

However, could it be only the IBS that is causing this chronic constipation? What is up with the metamucil and dark stool at the same time? Could it be very serious - such as cancer? I have looked at some of the cancer symtpoms and I do not have some of them (in particular narrow stool, unexplained weight loss, nausea/vomitting).

So can anyone give any particular advice? I know I need to get my butt (no pun intended) to a doctor ASAP, but what else?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bloatedgirl For This Useful Post:
Mareluvcats (07-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

ibs3440 HB User
Re: Chronic Constipation + Fissure + Dark Stool

Hi,
You could have IBS. My IBS started out with chronic constipation and stomach bloatedness. I also had hard dark black/brown stool. No over-the-counter fiber medicines worked for me. You should definitely go get it checked out at the doctor. There are 2 types of IBS- constipation and diarrhea. You seem to exhibit both forms- so I would definitely go to the doctor to find out what is going on.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 12-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

ppepper HB User
Re: Chronic Constipation + Fissure + Dark Stool

I would suggest you see the gastrointerologist again. The symptoms you describe along with a previously diagnosed fissure are classic for Irritable Bowel Disease. If it weren't for the fissure I too would suspect IBS. Black stool can be caused by too much iron (supplements), taking Pepto Bismal or blood. Best to see the doctor and know for sure what is happening.

good luck

Closed Thread