It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

vintagedream HB User
fiber supplements

hi! i just want to get some recommends for fiber supplement...
i have absolutely no fiber in my diet because i hate vegetables!
so i'm thinking i have to get fiber supplements to remedy my constipation.
does anyone have any recommendations? also any info about fiber supplements will be highly appreciated.

thanks!

P.S.
what should i do to cure constipation?

Old 01-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Gutless HB User
Re: fiber supplements

I think Harry is the "resident expert" on fiber and you'll probably hear from him. I don't like drinking the Metamucil-type stuff so have experimented with Benefiber tablets (chewable, 2g/tablet) and Metamucil wafers (3g/wafer). Both seem to be having the intended effect. I try to add about 6 grams each day using one of these two products. I also picked up a box of Kelloggs All Bran "Buds" (a whopping 11g/one-third cup). I don't like it by itself, but will add a little to my regular morning cereal. Kellogg also make an All Bran cereal bar that has 5 grams of fiber. They are a little high in calories, but are pretty good as a snack.

I don't know how broadly you define "vegetable," but beans are a great source of fiber as are sweet potatoes. Also, fruits like pears, blueberries and certain apples are high in fiber.

I just began supplementing my fiber intake last month, so I'd be interested to learn what others are doing to increase their fiber.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
(male)

HRH HB User

I eat Kelloggs Complete Oat Bran Flakes daily -- a 3/4 cup contains 4g of fiber and it's not too sweet.
I eat this along with a regular diet.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
(female)

vintagedream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH
I eat Kelloggs Complete Oat Bran Flakes daily -- a 3/4 cup contains 4g of fiber and it's not too sweet.
I eat this along with a regular diet.
i'm curious, how does this taste?

also, can i get this in local supermarkets? is it too high in sugar? how many grams of sugar does it contain per serving?

they say we have to incorporate 20-35 grams of fiber in our diet to promote a healthy bowel movement. wow, that's a lot! maybe, with my current diet, i only get like 5g of fiber a day. no wonder i'm constipated. i only "go" like 2 times a week. sometimes less!

as for beans, i hate beans. and i'm not much of a fan over fruits either. that's why i'm just hoping there's a pill or something that i could just pop that won't make me gag yet still help with my constipation problems.

is adding fiber to your diet really the missing link?! or am i facing more problems than this? thanks for the feedback by the way!

Harry, i hope to hear from you.
take care!

Last edited by vintagedream; 01-17-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Vintage

If you can, try and eat whole foods with the skins. The skins are what helped me with my constipation troubles. An apple a day -- with the skin. Do you like a baked potato? Again, the skin is what has the fiber. Don't load it up with cheese, tho!

You could also try ground flaxseed in your morning cereal/oatmeal or yogurt. This helps constipation.

Fiber One cereal is pretty good.

Benefiber has a powder that melts away clear and "supposedly" has no taste. I think it has a taste, tho, and a strange grit...at least in water.

Try and avoid cheese and rice until you get things back on track and normal.

Some other things I've tried -- and have worked! -- are daily brisk walking. As little as 30 minutes makes a difference. Water, water, water. We've got a fiber craze going on, and so many don't realize that if you don't increase your water intake with added fiber, constipation usually results. Definitely keep this in mind if you try any of those fiber tablets or powders.

I got pretty sick last summer with constipation, kidney troubles and "unexplained" left flank pain. The first thing my doc wanted to know about was my diet. I, too, was a picky eater and hated most veggies. After experimenting with cooking methods, spices, herbs, getting a couple new cookbooks and getting courageous, I found I actually did like a lot of the foods I thought I didn't. It was a choice, tho. Do I want to be sick and eat garbage, or do I want to feel good/not sick and eat healthy foods? The choice was pretty clear for me

Good luck!

Lysne

Old 01-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
(male)

rrr111 HB User

I have been taking Metamucil capsuls for soluable fiber (recommended by Harry and my Gastro) It takes a coule of weeks for your body to adjust (gas and all). Also I don't know if you live by a Whole Foods supermarket but they have a high fiber cereal that has 13 grams of fiber in a 3/4 cup serving and it tastes really good. It is made by a company called Back to Nature. It's the banana multi-grain cereal that they make. So each serving contains close to half of the total amount of fiber you should have every day (25 - 35 grams)

Old 01-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
(female)

threethings HB User

i take the Fiber Choice chewable tablets. they taste so good! i take 1 - 2 of those a day. i also take metamucil caplets and if i'm home, i sometimes drink citrucel (did i spell that right?). on top of all that, i try and drink lots of water, i try and exercise or at least go for a walk 4 or 5 times a week, i eat veges and fruit as well! all of those will get things moving! i just started learning about flax. can someone answer this one as well:
is there a different benefit between flax seed oil caplets and flax seed itself?? if you take flax seed oil caplets does that void out the fiber benefit since it's just the oil?

Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
(female)

threethings HB User

one more thing...i take a good probiotic a few times a week!!

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
(female)

vintagedream HB User

is flaxseed soluble or insoluble fiber? i hear too much insoluble fiber could be irritating to the intestinal tract. soluble fiber is what we should be ingesting, ryt?

what's the ideal bowel transit time anyway? i hear we should ideally be moving our bowels 2 times a day?! and never more than 24 hours!
oh my, i'm well behind then...

about metamucil capsules, they are quite popular... are they any good? where can i get them? from the local pharmacy? will they help?
i don't know if i can find a good high-fiber cereal in our supermarkets... i think they sell mostly high-sugary cereals... might as well check.

also, rice is like the main source of carbohydrates in our country. rice is always included in our meals, that's my prob! LOL. so i can't really completely eliminate it from my diet... i try to limit it though.

the only fruit i eat is banana... like i said, i'm really not a fruit person. plus, i don't exercise... so i guess you could really see why i'm constipated. haha.

how about psyllium husks, anyone?

Last edited by vintagedream; 01-17-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi,
Well most of what you need has been posted but I'll say it all again!

For your intestines to function normally w/o constipation or diarrhea a person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily and it needs to be a combination of both soluble and insouble fiber. This is assuming that your intestines are healthy.

All meat including poultry, seafood and all dairy products( all cheeses, milk, ice cream, yogrt) do not contain any FIBER and of course oils contain no fiber.

Insoluble fiber is all fruit and veggies including green leafy kind (about 98%), nuts & seeds and all brans including wheat bran..

Soluble fiber is all grains like rice, corn, barley and wheat-- the outside husk is insoluble. All beans and peas are soluble except the outer husk is insoluble. Most all root veggies are soluble --- potatoes, sweet potatos, carrots, beets, & turnips are soluble.

Soluble fiber supplements are psyllium that comes in Metamucil, Equate Brand from Wal Mart, Konsyl and other -- it comes in a powder that you mix, capsules and wafers itis mostly soluble but does have some insoluble fiber in it. Citrucel is semi-natural, Fiber Choice is chicory root (Inulin) and Benefiber -- all soluble. Fibercon is insoluble.

Insoluble fiber causes your intestines to move by contractions called peristalsis so digested food is moved along your intestines.
Soluble fiber absorbs fluid so it bulks up your stool so your intestines don't form pockets called diverticulars.

I take Equate-- psyllium from Wal Mart twice daily and several psyllium capsules. This amounts to about 7 gms of fiber daily.

It is also very important to drink enough water-- 6 to 8 glasses daily (your body is made up of 70% water-- Not sodas, tea, coffee or juices) at the least and exercise some!

The reason that you need to move fecal matter out of your body is so that toxins and antigenes are not re-aborbed by your intestines. Constipation can cause all sorts of illnesses from hemorrhoids in your 8 inch rectum, diabetes, depression, body odor, fatigue and a host of other problems-- even cancer!!

The reason that I post about fiber so much is that I believe good optimum health begins with healthy intestines. And --These days we are just exposed to so much processed foods and food that has little or no nutritional value and causes constipation.. Our parents did not have this problem 50 years ago. NO fast foods were available then.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
(female)

vintagedream HB User

hi!

Harry, thanks for the comprehensive reply.
where can i get Equate? at a supermarket or at a local pharmacy?
can i just ask, if it's not too much of a bother, what are it's ingredients (i'm really cautious when it comes to this)?

do you have regular bowel movements? how many times are we supposed to "go" in a day though? just wondering...

anyway, thanks! i agree with everything that you said by the way. it's kinda complicated, remembering so much guidelines, but you gotta start somewhere, ryt?

Last edited by vintagedream; 01-18-2006 at 03:36 AM.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedream
also, rice is like the main source of carbohydrates in our country. rice is always included in our meals, that's my prob! LOL. so i can't really completely eliminate it from my diet... i try to limit it though.
Vintage, I didn't intend for you to think I was encouraging you to "eliminate" rice from your diet. I think I said "avoid" until things are back on track, i.e., you're having regular BMs. I avoided rice for a couple days until things were moving again

Lysne

Old 01-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
(female)

vintagedream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
I avoided rice for a couple days until things were moving again
i avoided rice for a month... i even lost 10 lbs. in the process. but my bowel movement hasn't improved, sad to say...

i think i really desperately need fiber in my diet. that's why i want to work on that. thanks for the input!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: fiber supplements

Hi,
I think it is healthy to have a BM at least once daily. But with apples and grapes you may have more.

Equate is a Wal Mart product. I use the orange flavored sugar free type powder form. I like the powder form best because it is dispersed well in water before and as you drink it.
It contains psyllium seed husk that is mostly soluble, a flavoring and for the sugar free it contains-- aspartame and # 6 yellow coloring. But, you can buy it plain. It starts absorbing water immediately. I only take a rounded teaspoon twice daily.
The directions says stir briskly and drink immediately.

Psyllium is a natural fiber and is brokendown by digestion -- it ferments and causes GAS. But, with continued use the gas will go away. So start off slow so gas is not a problem. I have used it daily for 23 years.

Some people use the capsules of just plain psyllium -- the largest size that I know about is 870mg from the Vitamin Shoppe and my wife uses it because she has a hiatal hernia and the caps have a delayed reaction of fluid absorption so are not as bloating as the powder form.

I have tried the caps and I don't like to use them totally as a fiber supplement. I just never know how much water to drink.

The plain powder of psyllium does not mix well -- it floats and you have to use a shaker to get it to mix with water.
I donot find the powder bloating at all-- my wife takes 3 caps in the morning and 3 after supper. If you decide to do this make sure you drink enough water with the capsules

I also eat rice once daily (that is what Charleston people do) and some fruit and veggies also daily.
The fruit I eat is usualy apples, bananas, grapes and berries --several daily servings this time of the year. At other times of the year-- I eat pears, peaches and other fruit that is in season but I rearly eat citrus fruit -- I don't like the acid content.

I rearly eat potatoes or sweet potatoes but on occation eat carrots and beets. As for veggies -- I eat broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, onions, green beans, tomatoes, spinach, other greens for a toss salad -- even olives.

I usually eat a tossed salad once a day. I eat yogurt 3 times daily-- Stonyfield Farm Brand only & don't drink milk or eat cheese. I eat cantalope and others melons if I find them cheap enough.
I eat chicken, turkey and fish-- some with each meal. Rearly eat red meat or fast food.

Also-- I only drink water-- steam distilled.

You really have to figure out what your diet is going to be and what water soluble fiber supplement you are going to use.

God Bless ---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-18-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
(female)

vintagedream HB User

hi! thanks for sharing your regimen. i'll definitely be looking up at this post every now and then just so i don't forget.

just wondering about aspartame though... i hear it's not good for the body. i've surfed the net for info's about aspartame... it didn't give good results at all. have you researched on this?

Closed Thread