It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Fissure/Hemmhroid Pain?

Does anyone have any suggestions for Over the counter remedies for the pain from a fissure/hemmhroid? I am currently using prep h to no effect. This has been going on for three weeks now and I'm tired and sore. I have seen my doc, who gave me a referral to see a surgeon, but that appointment isn't until Feb 14. He did give me a rx for proctosedal suppositories which also do nothing, because all my issues are external versus internal. Any suggestions are much appreciated! (I am not constipated)

Old 01-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Fissure/Hemmhroid Pain?

Hi Karen,
Try Americaine ointment. It's over the counter. It is strictly a topical anesthetic, doesn't have anything else in it to help shrink the hemorrhoid. I have been dealing with a external hemorrhoid too for 2 weeks. It finally broke and now is starting to heal, but I can still feel it. The pain the first couple of days was bad! This ointment was the only thing that helped the pain until it opened up. I still wonder what caused the stupid thing. Never had one before, don't want another one! Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion, Ann. I have made an appointment to go back to see my doc today, as things have gotten much worse this morning. Hopefully he will be able to give me an rx for a topical anesthetic. I hope you feel better soon...this stuff is a pain in the bum, isn't it?

Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

tpagm HB User

Karen32, let me know what the doctor gives you for your pain. I still have my fissure and its horrible.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

I saw the doc this afternoon. He prescribed proctomyxin (?), which I think is proctosedol in a topical form. It is a corticosteroid. He also prescribed a topical anesthetic to help with the pain, however he wasn't sure if it was available yet or not. Sure enough, they (the pharmacy) had no idea what it was. They are calling him tomorrow, and hopefully he will be able to rx something else. I am to go back to see him if it doesn't improve or if it gets worse. I am so hoping this will do the trick...

Old 01-20-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

I am going through the same thing. I saw the surgeon last week. I go back in three weeks. I have a small anal tear (external). For whatever reason it is not healing very quickly. I have been told they can fix this by surgery, the surgery repairs the little tear, but you get two weeks of TERRIBLE pain. It scares me I must say. I used an rx called Analpram and liked it. The surgeon told me not to put so much cortisone down there and use sitz baths and A&D ointment. I find the analpram was much more effective. Please let me know how it goes for you.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

itburns, sorry to hear you are having the same problem. How long have you had your fissure? yikes, the thought of surgery scares me too, but the thought of living with this for a long time scares me more I have not noticed a huge difference after three applications of the new cream...hopefully as the day goes on it will get a little better. What other options did you try for the fissure? When you go back in three weeks, is that when you are having the surgery? I'm just curious because of course this is all new to me. I just wish I could see the surgeon sooner than the middle of February...I may call and see if they have a cancellation list. Let me know what happens with you.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

I do not not know what he is going to do in three weeks. I first got it on Nov 28 He noted I need a colonoscopy to make sure all else is well (yukyukyuk). I will probably give in and do the colonoscopy and do what ever he tells me. My regular Gastro dr. had the surgery, she is the one who told me truthfully what it felt like, but she says she is as good as new now. I am just scared of the pain and not being able to transport my kids back and forth to school...etc.. the following two weeks of recovery.. I'll let you know in three weeks though. I am still hoping it just heals up. I have read that it can spontanously just heal up.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
(female)

tpagm HB User

what is so frustrating is that when you think your fissure is healing it tears right back open. I just don't understand how it can heal since we have to use the bathroom. I have tried stool softeners and more fiber but still it tears back open. UGH

Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
(female)

tpagm HB User

itburns- I went out today and bought the a&d ointment...thank you for the advise. I used it and it did soothe the pain almost right away.
Can you tell me about your doctors visits and what they consist of. I am so nervous about going to the gastro doctor. I guess I am just bashful and don't know what they will make me do or what the dr will do to me.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Is A&D available in Canada do you know? I seem to have a hard time finding any kind of ointment/creams other than preparation h and anusol... should I be looking in a different area of the pharmacy?

tpagm - the doc actually asked me yesterday if I would mind him taking a look at my bottom. I sheepishly said "yes, I do mind" ... duh! I know I should have let him, but we then agreed if it doesn't get better I will go back and drop the drawers ... so far it's not looking too good for me... does anyone know how quickly this prescription ointment is supposed to start working?

Old 01-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
(female)

tpagm HB User

karen-
I am not sure about Canada. I got the A&D at a walgreens which is a pharmacy near me. I got it in the isle that has all the neosporian and cortisone as well as the preparation/hermmhoid ointments. The A&D was actually right next to it. You may also find it may be the baby section...because it also soothes diaper rash.
I honestly just used it for the first time today and I feel so much better. It soothed the pain almost instantly. I was using neosporian and this is much much better.
I am just like you. I don't want to show my doctor my bum especially where it hurts UGH

Old 01-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

As soon as I get a chance, I'm heading out to look for this stuff... I hope it is available here...

Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
(female)

tpagm HB User

I hope you can find it. Otherwise I am sure you can buy it online. Its used for diaper rashes so I am sure you can order since it is not a rx. I hope you can find it and if you do I hope you get some relief like I have. I wish I knew about this stuff sooner.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

No reason to be afraid to go to the doctor. at least not at the first visit. The will put you on a table and will examine your bottom. They will go inside about three inches to make sure the cut is noe internal. Then they will probably tell you what you already know and give you a perscription and to come back in x amount of time. This will go on until they still see the tear, then they will send you to the surgeon. A colon and rectal surgeon (if you had this fissure for over a month or two this is probably best to be your first stop and skip the gastro). He will do the same but the table will go upside down and he will play around with the cut area and mine injected some medicine (no it has not worked) So I use the A&D ointment , and use the sitz bath following a movement and I go back in three weeks. Honestly they are going to want a colonoscopy ( I wont say what this intails- I am nervous about this because you clear your bowels and as we all know we have a little tear so I can only imagine that feeling) Then they inspect you the following day and then my guess is schedule surgery to repair the tear. Another dreaded moment. But, heres what I am thinking. It is all embarassing and painful, but it is fixable.

Closed Thread